New Cheap Rotary Buffer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a second one of these Astro 9901 because its the best buy for the money I have come across in a long time.

http://www.foxruntools.com/astro-pneumatic-6-electric-dual-torque-polisher---part-ao-9901.aspx

Comes with 2 pads, handle, wrench and hook and loop backing plate

This is a small light unit about the size of the HF but this is a real rotary buffer.

Electronic speed control maintains rpm under load.

Compare the size to the big Milwaukee (older USA made)

Compared to light weight air buffer.

Why buy a second one? I got the first one a few years ago for $40 and was so impressed with it I figured no harm in having a spare for that money but they were gone from the market.
Astro isn't making them anymore so I was surprised to find another batch of them on the market, so I grabbed one. This thing is great, its slow speed is safe enough even for beginners who want to learn how to use a buffer and the electronic speed control works perfectly. The quality seems good, the only real negative is its made in China.
If it would have been a US or Euro tool I wouldn't consider having a second one just in case but after lots of use it is still tight and runs perfectly.

The big Milwaukee is a great machine but its heavy, real heavy, after 1-2 hrs your arms are ready to drop off. After a while its hard to hold it up and its powerful enough to damage paint quickly, I no longer use it.
The air buffer is great, its light and powerful but you need to maintain speed by feathering the throttle, all in all its a good tool and I still use it with large pads on big areas like hoods and roof. The drawback to this is it needs a big compressor, I have one but the average DIY doesn't have one at home with the CFM to run this continuously.

I dislike DA buffers, they are close to useless for real compounding and are better suited to light polishing and waxing, this little Astro will run a 6" pad compounding at low speeds without breaking a sweat, It also does a fantastic job with swirl removing polish with a soft polishing pad, if anyone is looking for a cheap but really decent little buffer is just the ticket.

Nice find!! probably nothing wrong with the windings or the brushes. I have a simonize that I've used and abused for probably 8 years with no issues...yours probably has similar insides.

Interesting, I'd still recommend a DA polisher for noobs.

Rotary can get inexperienced person in trouble fast.

Although for a pro a rotary is almost always better.

I agree but we all had to pick a rotary the first time, my advice to anyone wanting to paint, use a rotary or repair scratches is get an old panel from the junk yard and ask the local body shop supply store for unwanted paint (returns because of wrong shade sold dirt cheap) and practice away.
That's the way I learned over 40 years ago on an old bent at the hinges Buick Electra hood, I would paint it, try every gun setting then buff it till I burned through.

I have been buffing since I was a kid long before DA polishers and honestly if you keep this little one on speed 1 and keep it moving slowly and use a waffle pad even a noob can get good results with relative safety.
This is a good article on buffing, make sure to click on the forward and back arrows.

http://arrc.ebscohost.com/ebsco_static/repair-tips/8852CH28_HOW_TO_USE_BUFFING_MACHINES.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back