Griots RO/DA Buffer Review w/Paint Pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Vikas
You have not even tried your HomeDepot/Lowes wax spreader yet and already you are shopping for the real one!! I hope you understand that you need to buy the pads separately, so add another $30 for a set. Now you are talking close to $145. From all indication, it would be still worth it but why not try what you have before ordering this?

I have tried it, and it worked well. I have a few applications where a better machine would be the ticket. A 24' boat, and my van roof come to mind, where some tlc is needed, a bit more than the machine I currently own handle. My budget would be around $200 or so, which won't go to waste.

For $200 you can probably get everything a DIY'er will need to compound and polish a car or boat. Heck, I got my Griot's for $88 shipped, and it even came with towels, a few pads, some sealant, quick detailer and a few other things Griot's threw in the bundle, just gotta keep you eye out for the sales.

Then you can "donate" that wax spreader to some kid or the next amateur that has a whole week to kill trying to compound paint with that underpowered toy. After all, once you try the Griot's, you'll have no need for that thing.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: gary031
You have not even tried your HomeDepot/Lowes wax spreader yet and already you are shopping for the real one!! I hope you understand that you need to buy the pads separately, so add another $30 for a set. Now you are talking close to $145. From all indication, it would be still worth it but why not try what you have before ordering this?

I have tried it, and it worked well. I have a few applications where a better machine would be the ticket. A 24' boat, and my van roof come to mind, where some tlc is needed, a bit more than the machine I currently own handle. My budget would be around $200 or so, which won't go to waste.

For $200 you can probably get everything a DIY'er will need to compound and polish a car or boat. Heck, I got my Griot's for $88 shipped, and it even came with towels, a few pads, some sealant, quick detailer and a few other things Griot's threw in the bundle, just gotta keep you eye out for the sales.

Then you can "donate" that wax spreader to some kid or the next amateur that has a whole week to kill trying to compound paint with that underpowered toy. After all, once you try the Griot's, you'll have no need for that thing.
grin.gif

Actually what I have works quite well for what I set out to do with it. My intent was to use it to remove wax, quickly, it does that just fine, now I want to step up that's all. I was looking at the Milwaukee Polisher as well.

grin.gif

Actually what I have works quite well for what I set out to do with it. My intent was to use it to remove wax, quickly, it does that just fine, now I want to step up that's all. I was looking at the Milwaukee Polisher as well.

My bad, I thought you were polishing paint and/or gel coat, not just waxing.

FWIW, I've use the Milwaukee polisher, it's a rotary, heavy, noisy, but super powerful. Strange, as long as I have been detailing cars, I've never used a machine to remove wax, I've never even met any fellow local detailers that have used one either. I'd give it a shot, but I'm sure I'd just go back to using high quality edgeless microfiber towels like I do now.

FWIW, I've use the Milwaukee polisher, it's a rotary, heavy, noisy, but super powerful. Strange, as long as I have been detailing cars, I've never used a machine to remove wax, I've never even met any fellow local detailers that have used one either. I'd give it a shot, but I'm sure I'd just go back to using high quality edgeless microfiber towels like I do now.

I'm sure I will be applying as well with the machine. All I know is it shaved a lot of time off the Buick, and when I get around to using it on my van I'll save even more time.

Can you dial in a speed setting with the Milwaukee polisher?

Sure can, just remember, that Milwaukee is a rotary, it's a big dog used for heavy defect removal. Rotary polishers can have a fairly steep learning curve and you can screw up paint in a hurry with one if your not careful.

Sure can, just remember, that Milwaukee is a rotary, it's a big dog used for heavy defect removal. Rotary polishers can have a fairly steep learning curve and you can screw up paint in a hurry with one if your not careful.

I ordered a Makita 9227CX3 from Amazon, its lighter in weight and looks like it will be perfect for what I want to do with it. Thanks for the information, I have a large van roof to learn on. I recall using one of these many years ago, I always tend to be on the cautious side. With some reading, asking, and hands on I should be GTG.

That is quite a jump from your recent $30 wax spreader!

And?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back