Griots RO/DA Buffer Review w/Paint Pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty clear to me, but yeah -- use a larger, mo-better light next time. Also maybe leave the tape line for the pic. It took me a sec to see what I was really looking at. It's been a while since I've been active on the detailing forums.

Oh yea, I know the light shines on the scratched side, but the non light side where the scratches have been buffed out looks EXACTLY like what you see. Scratches are gone!

...and anyone that has ever ran a buffer with the right pad + right compound knows that is exactly what you get.
smile.gif

Could you post the kit you bought. I think I see it, and would post it but my phone's cut and paste is being uncooperative. I got an itch to get one for the weekend all of a sudden, which means I would prefer not to wait for Autogeek.

I love the Griot's DA. Not only is it the most powerful dual action orbital buffer but it comes with an unbeatable lifetime warranty.

My big fishin' boat needed a little TLC before putting it away yesterday.

How's this for a Non-flash picture.......?

Below the line is Meguiar's Ultimate Compound on my new Griots Garage DA/RO Buffer!

20tsb50.jpg

Ever thought of doing wet sanding with 1500/2000/2500/3000? That succulent orange peel would be history :)

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: tpitcher
So I bought this Griots Garage Random Orbiter/Dual Action Buffer. This was tough for me to do as I have done well removing scratches and have waxed cars & trucks for the past 36 years.

Bought the entire kit which includes polish, wax, a spray, a 6" medium polish pad & a 6" waxing pad.

Buffed in over-lapping straight lines in one direction, then the same in the opposite direction.

- Did my Wife's dark Green '97 Camry first. Wow, should have took pictures.

The Bad: Their Polish... It was like removing HARD Chalk. Do not use it. I moved to Meguiars Ultimate Compound. MUCH better. For the wax, I used Meguiars NXT 2.0.

- Did my '00 Saturn. Nice.

- Did my BIL's '00 Mercedes (that has NEVER been waxed) OMG, why didn't I take pictures!!

- Did my '03 GMC Sierra which I have polished & waxed 2 times this year. Had to take a pic!

29w046e.jpg

It's not a perfect line, but I tried.

Keep in mind that is an EXTREME close-up pic and this truck looked great before, being waxed about 30 times in its life.

What do you think about the difference?

If you're thinking about ordering a DA/RO Buffer, I would highly recommend you do so.

The trick with Griots wax and polishes is to only use a SMALL amount. Too much and yes it is hard to remove!

+1 let the pad work the polish in. Also, if you are having trouble removing it you should work a panel at a time. Polish and remove. If not a spritz of water or QD works well

In my Boat picture above, believe it or not, you're looking at "black" paint over Aluminum. Hard to tell!

Also, below the line looked exactly the scratched up paint above the line.

I would advise getting a paint depth gauge before polishing.

The roof of my 2011 Prius is already dangerously thin and in the 60-70 range. The hood is just over 100.

You really would not want a nasty surprise.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

The roof of my 2011 Prius is already dangerously thin and in the 60-70 range. The hood is just over 100.

laugh.gif
Those have never been "polished" before. This Buffer won't burn the paint. So, everyone should have a depth dauge before polishing their vehicle or are you just calling me out? Why aren't those all over the stores then? Why aren't there warnings all over as well?

Can anyone tell me the difference between these two Groit polishers?

GR-10750
10765STDCRD Listed on Amazon . com

I would have linked to them but might be breaking some kind of rule. Thanks!

As a side not 12/3 they are coming out with a new model with some slight improvements, should I wait for Christmas and order that? LOL

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

GR-10750

As a side not 12/3 they are coming out with a new model with some slight improvements, should I wait for Christmas and order that? LOL

Those 2 Griot's polishers are the same, Amazon has always had funky item numbers for some of their items.

The "new improved" Griot's polisher is essentially the same as the old with some changes in ergonomics, they did the same thing with their 3" polisher recently. So it's up to you if you want to wait or not. It's not going to make the polisher work any better or have any more power, that's for sure.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
laugh.gif
Those have never been "polished" before. This Buffer won't burn the paint. So, everyone should have a depth dauge before polishing their vehicle or are you just calling me out? Why aren't those all over the stores then? Why aren't there warnings all over as well?

The roof of my Prius has never been polished. The hood has been polished once. The better DIY detailing guides online warn people that paint depth should be measured to be safe, but many choose to ignore the warning. Almost all of the retail, OTC products are not capable of removing any significant amount of clear, which is why it is sort of a non-issue. But Megs Ultimate Compound is capable of some serious defect removal so you should be careful.

Not trying to call you out. In fact I think I am done with polishing myself. I only learned of the razor thin clearcoat issue on my car upon getting an estimate for detailing from a very well-respected detailer nationwide.

It's all good.
smile.gif

I just now did a nice 2002 Audi Quattro for a co-worker & friend. He got overspray fixing a couple rust spots, so I got most all of it off except for the heavy spot.

Meg.s Ult. Compound + SCG Liquid way. Smooth as glass & "spider webs" gone. .....
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: gary031

GR-10750

Those 2 Griot's polishers are the same, Amazon has always had funky item numbers for some of their items.

The "new improved" Griot's polisher is essentially the same as the old with some changes in ergonomics, they did the same thing with their 3" polisher recently. So it's up to you if you want to wait or not. It's not going to make the polisher work any better or have any more power, that's for sure.

Thanks, looks like Amazon is the place to buy it then!

Originally Posted By: gary031

GR-10750

Thanks, looks like Amazon is the place to buy it then!

Yes, that's where I got mine!

You have not even tried your HomeDepot/Lowes wax spreader yet and already you are shopping for the real one!! I hope you understand that you need to buy the pads separately, so add another $30 for a set. Now you are talking close to $145. From all indication, it would be still worth it but why not try what you have before ordering this?

Originally Posted By: The Critic

I find this hard to believe as then there would be no orange peel left in the paint. I have a 2003 Pontiac Vibe with 160k and there is still orange peel in the paint on the roof and everywhere else. I went over the hood a few times with a DA and ultimate compound and I can still see some orange peel in the hood.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
You have not even tried your HomeDepot/Lowes wax spreader yet and already you are shopping for the real one!! I hope you understand that you need to buy the pads separately, so add another $30 for a set. Now you are talking close to $145. From all indication, it would be still worth it but why not try what you have before ordering this?

I have tried it, and it worked well. I have a few applications where a better machine would be the ticket. A 24' boat, and my van roof come to mind, where some tlc is needed, a bit more than the machine I currently own handle. My budget would be around $200 or so, which won't go to waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back