Griots RO/DA Buffer Review w/Paint Pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I bought this Griots Garage Random Orbiter/Dual Action Buffer. This was tough for me to do as I have done well removing scratches and have waxed cars & trucks for the past 36 years.

Bought the entire kit which includes polish, wax, a spray, a 6" medium polish pad & a 6" waxing pad.

Buffed in over-lapping straight lines in one direction, then the same in the opposite direction.

- Did my Wife's dark Green '97 Camry first. Wow, should have took pictures.

The Bad: Their Polish... It was like removing HARD Chalk. Do not use it. I moved to Meguiars Ultimate Compound. MUCH better. For the wax, I used Meguiars NXT 2.0.

- Did my '00 Saturn. Nice.

- Did my BIL's '00 Mercedes (that has NEVER been waxed) OMG, why didn't I take pictures!!

- Did my '03 GMC Sierra which I have polished & waxed 2 times this year. Had to take a pic!

29w046e.jpg

It's not a perfect line, but I tried.

Keep in mind that is an EXTREME close-up pic and this truck looked great before, being waxed about 30 times in its life.

What do you think about the difference?

If you're thinking about ordering a DA/RO Buffer, I would highly recommend you do so.

Hard to tell whats going on there. Where did you end up buying the Groits kit? I"ve been going to do the same. Glad it worked good for you.

Originally Posted By: bruckus
Hard to tell whats going on there. Where did you end up buying the Groits kit? I"ve been going to do the same. Glad it worked good for you.

Got it at Amazon.

Should be easy to see the difference.... try tipping your monitor!
smile.gif

Right side is before the buffer, left side is after using the buffer.

You made a good selection. Especally the Meguiar's Ultimate Compund. However, I switched to the smaller Lake Country 5.5 inch Low Profile Finishing CCS Smart Pads. With the smaller pads, the buffer is easier to move around.

I'm debating buying one of these too. I got some products that I was going to put on by hand on my new car before winter, and buy one of these in the spring, but I'd like to use my Civic as a testing ground for a buffer and I don't know how long I'll have it. It seems like the Griots is a better buy than the Porter Cable.

I like my Griot's very much...it performs well, speed is controlled and it's variable speed...I particularly like the 25 foot cord option...saves having to get the extension cord out...

Last edited:
Is that picture supposed to be 50/50? Left side done right side not? I suggest you invest in more pads of various aggressiveness. One just won't cut it and you'll have spares once it comes apart.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Is that picture supposed to be 50/50? Left side done right side not? I suggest you invest in more pads of various aggressiveness. One just won't cut it and you'll have spares once it comes apart.

Couple of you guys need a better monitor...
grin.gif

Again, right side is un-buffed, left side is buffed. It's super clear to me...

I bought their RO polisher about 4 years ago and use it a lot.
Their polishing system isn't the best, so I use some Chemical Guys products. I used it about once per year on both vehicles. I'd recommend getting one.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I like my Griot's very much...it performs well, speed is controlled and it's variable speed...I particularly like the 25 foot cord option...saves having to get the extension cord out...

Me too. I have had mine for about 7 years and always get great results. I even have the smaller one too for little tight areas, LOL!

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
So I bought this Griots Garage Random Orbiter/Dual Action Buffer. This was tough for me to do as I have done well removing scratches and have waxed cars & trucks for the past 36 years.

Bought the entire kit which includes polish, wax, a spray, a 6" medium polish pad & a 6" waxing pad.

Buffed in over-lapping straight lines in one direction, then the same in the opposite direction.

- Did my Wife's dark Green '97 Camry first. Wow, should have took pictures.

The Bad: Their Polish... It was like removing HARD Chalk. Do not use it. I moved to Meguiars Ultimate Compound. MUCH better. For the wax, I used Meguiars NXT 2.0.

- Did my '00 Saturn. Nice.

- Did my BIL's '00 Mercedes (that has NEVER been waxed) OMG, why didn't I take pictures!!

- Did my '03 GMC Sierra which I have polished & waxed 2 times this year. Had to take a pic!

29w046e.jpg

It's not a perfect line, but I tried.

Keep in mind that is an EXTREME close-up pic and this truck looked great before, being waxed about 30 times in its life.

What do you think about the difference?

If you're thinking about ordering a DA/RO Buffer, I would highly recommend you do so.

The trick with Griots wax and polishes is to only use a SMALL amount. Too much and yes it is hard to remove!

Love the GG DA machine. Having used a PC for ~15 years, and the Meguiars G110 versions, I think the Griots machine is the best RO polisher on the market.

Not a fan of their polishes. Meguiars Ult Compound is excellent, as is M105 and M205.

The Meguiars microfibers polishing pads are great for serious compounding. For a foam pad, use an orange pad for polishing/compounding, and a green or black pad for finish polishing.

Glad to hear you like the machine. It really takes your detailing to the next level.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Me too. I have had mine for about 7 years and always get great results. I even have the smaller one too for little tight areas, LOL!

If you haven't had the pleasure, you really should try out the new Griot's polisher, it has MUCH more power than the older models.
I do love my Griot's, but I have to admit, the build quality of the PC 7424xp is much better (just wish it had as much power as the Griot's). Good thing the Griot's has a lifetime warranty, I've broken both mine multiple times.

Hey, a couple chimed in, but:

What brand and size Pads do you all run on your Griots RO Buffer??

Originally Posted By: gary031
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

If you haven't had the pleasure, you really should try out the new Griot's polisher, it has MUCH more power than the older models.
I do love my Griot's, but I have to admit, the build quality of the PC 7424xp is much better (just wish it had as much power as the Griot's). Good thing the Griot's has a lifetime warranty, I've broken both mine multiple times.

That's good to know. My GG polisher is a Porter Cable..plenty of power...back then they just rebadged them and put his label on them. I might ask for the new model for Christmas.

Last edited:
Quote:
grin.gif

I'm so proud for you. Send me the money for the needed eye surgery then I can be as eagle eyed as you are.
09.gif

For the age of the cars that you are working on, I would highly recommend buy a paint depth gauge to confirm that the clearcoat is thick enough to allow for safe polishing.

Even on my 2011, there are already a few spots that are dangerously thin and in the 80 range...not good.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
For the age of the cars that you are working on, I would highly recommend buy a paint depth gauge to confirm that the clearcoat is thick enough to allow for safe polishing.

Even on my 2011, there are already a few spots that are dangerously thin and in the 80 range...not good.

The more paint you polish off your Prius the better the gas mileage.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Originally Posted By: RTexasF

grin.gif

For a real 50/50 comparison, you need the light source shining on both the corrected and uncorrected sides. To me, it looks like the light is only hitting the uncorrected side, and leaving us to guess how the corrected side REALLY looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back