Wen 6307

I deliberately bought a cheap tool that so far looks and works a lot better than I had thought it would, the WEN 6307 Variable Speed Detailing File Sander, I was first looking at one from Astro but it is air powered which is fine if an air hose is always available but for what I want this tool is not just for automotive use. I need it for smaller jobs like deburring, trimming small stuff, nothing heavy duty. In auto body some use this tool for grinding spot welds away, I have a nice spot weld bit for that.
Depending on how much I use it I may buy an air powered one later. I got a great price on high quality belts from Empire Abrasives. I have tried it since I got it and it works well, not a powerhouse with only a 2A motor but strong enough for what I needed, the build quality is that of tools costing much more and a 2 year warranty. Under $30

wen.jpg

Yep, I've got that same one. Great for light use but you can tell it'll bog if you push it much at all. Still, great for $30

Once I determined the form factor worked for my needs I went M12 to cut the cord (but you pay for the privilege $$$)

What do you find it most useful for? I think for me grinding the weld seams when doing rocker panels where it meets the door frame, that is always a pain, I usually use a die grinder and burr, or on 18ga sheet metal that needs a bit of removal for a flush fit on the edges.
I did the tops of a sticky wood door last night with it and it did a good job, I knew when I bought it it was not going to do heavy stuff with a 2A motor.

Yep, I've got that same one. Great for light use but you can tell it'll bog if you push it much at all. Still, great for $30

Once I determined the form factor worked for my needs I went M12 to cut the cord (but you pay for the privilege $$$)
How do you like the M12? I've been eyeballing one to use for grinding away hard-to-reach rivets.

Would this work for sharpening a riding lawn mower blade? I was thinking maybe jacking up the tractor and sharpening it without having to go through the hassle of removing the blade? Looks like a very usefull tool.

I guess with sharpening it comes down to the skill of the operator, so probably.

The M12 is kinda cool because the head swivels easily with a cam lock ala a bike seat post and it's reversible so theoretically you can use the top or bottom of the conveyor with sparks going in the same direction or the tool pulling or pushing your hand in the same direction.

I just bought a belt file earlier this year and now I'm not sure how I lived without it. I find myself pulling it out all the time to knock down burs or high spots on all sorts of things. Also used it recently to clean the rust out of a female receiver hitch.

Most belts will be AO and geared more toward woodworking. If you plan to use for metal I'd pony up for CZ. It's hard to do better than Cubitron stuff from 3M. It's expensive but cuts and lasts WAY longer than no-name belts. I'd argue ultimately Cubitron is actually less expensive, at least for what I do as a metal guy.

I use cheap AO's to file down the dog's nails.

Also the M12 is available in a 3/8x13" so be sure you're ordering the correct belts for your application

I bought these from Empire, they also have the ceramic belts. I buy a lot from them, they carry quality stuff, great flap wheels.

Back