Over-oiling air tools

JHZR2

Staff member
I don’t use air tools much. I have a trusty framing nailer that is my heaviest used item, but I also have impact guns, brad nailers, air hammers, etc.

I don’t use inline oilers, just add a few drops of oil to the tools when I use them. I add a bit every time.

A case in point, my framing nailer. I’ve been using it a decent amount lately, driving maybe 40 or so nails in a day. It gets maybe 3-5 drops of oil. I suspect a “pro” might add that much in the morning, and drive hundreds of nails in a day on that oil charge.

Air hammer is another good example; the ones I’ve used in the past I’ve put in a few drops, used it a few seconds, and the job was done. Even less operation than my nail guns. Or the impact gun… 20 lugs on two or three drops of oil, and that’s it.

At what point do they get over-oiled, and at what point do I know? The tools don’t exhaust oil that I can see. No mess anywhere.

How much is too much for light use? When does one know it’s too much?

My pneumatic carpentry tools are "oil-less" which was part of why I chose them. I don't want drops of oil causing finish problems later on.

For my automotive tools - I am sure I over-oil them. So what? I use them infrequently, and even more infrequently now that I have 18V impacts and 12V ratchets, and a 12V die grinder. I reckon that too much oil on an infrequently used tool helps keep corrosion at bay.

Worst case, I get a bit of a mess when I use them. Again, reckon that's the worst case.

I got salt water in an air ratchet once (coastal flooding, thought the storage tub was water-tight, but it had a crack, and the ratchet got wet) - and it was toast in a matter of hours. I would rather have wet/over oiled and messy than dry/under oiled and ruined.

That said, if you have finish nailers, brad nailers, or tools that will be used on wood that will be finished later, then, yes, avoid over-oiling. A nailer is cheaper than a ruined stain or finish or the workpiece.

Last edited:
My pneumatic carpentry tools are "oil-less" which was part of why I chose them. I don't want drops of oil causing finish problems later on.

For my automotive tools - I am sure I over-oil them. So what? I use them infrequently, and even more infrequently now that I have 18V impacts and 12V ratchets, and a 12V die grinder. I reckon that too much oil on an infrequently used tool helps keep corrosion at bay.

Worst case, I get a bit of a mess when I use them. Again, reckon that's the worst case.

I got salt water in an air ratchet once (coastal flooding, thought the storage tub was water-tight, but it had a crack, and the ratchet got wet) - and it was toast in a matter of hours. I would rather have wet/over oiled and messy than dry/under oiled and ruined.

That said, if you have finish nailers, brad nailers, or tools that will be used on wood that will be finished later, then, yes, avoid over-oiling. A nailer is cheaper than a ruined stain or finish or the workpiece.
Compressor type has little to do with it proper air filtration is needed downstream from the compressor.

Come to think of it, I’m not sure that my smaller nail guns take oil. Better look into that. Some of them I haven’t used in a while.

All I know is too much oil oil or really too much gummy oil is nasty on air tools. I've never had a problem, but readily say I am not a heavy air tool user.
Pablo - I use only AMSOIL Air Tool oil. Honestly. Never gummy, even when I deliberately over-oil them!

Good stuff!

Compressor type has little to do with it proper air filtration is needed downstream from the compressor.
I drain the compressor daily, and the shop has a dehumidifier. The compressor also has an in line dryer.

I wasn’t really talking about air quality, so, I am not sure why you’re quoting me, but to your point - good quality air, clean, dry air, makes a difference in tool life.

I use Marvel Air Tool oil, and have a water separator. 3-5 drops each time I use a tool, heavy use they get a few drops more halfway through the job. As far as I can tell it never gummed up, and as mentioned any excess oil is blown out of the exhaust. Before storing the tools I give them a few drops of oil, gun them and put them away. So far so good.

I use 2 lines from the compressor, one with an inline oiler with a dryer for air tools and the other for going to a large cooler/dryer with no oil for spray guns, tire filling and air tools used for body work where you don't want any oil like a DA and board sander fouling the paint.
I do give them a drop or 2 occasionally then run them until the exhaust port is dry.

I drain the compressor daily, and the shop has a dehumidifier. The compressor also has an in line dryer.

I wasn’t really talking about air quality, so, I am not sure why you’re quoting me, but to your point - good quality air, clean, dry air, makes a difference in tool life.
Just noting if someone reads the type of work don't dictate what compressor is used only filtration will you need.

Iirc @MolaKule has recommended ATF as an air tool oil.

I am still using a pint size metal can of Craftsman pneumatic tool oil that I bought from Sears in the '80's. I'm certain that it is Dextron II ATF based upon appearance, viscosity and smell.

Air Tool Oil.jpg

Last edited:
I use Marvel Air Tool oil, and have a water separator. 3-5 drops each time I use a tool, heavy use they get a few drops more halfway through the job. As far as I can tell it never gummed up, and as mentioned any excess oil is blown out of the exhaust. Before storing the tools I give them a few drops of oil, gun them and put them away. So far so good.
I have run redline air tool oil since I’ve owned air tools. I do have a little thing of marvel air tool oil too from when I was at my other garage and borrowed an air hammer.

I can’t see that any oil has ever blown out the exhaust of any of my tools, and if one would be the most likely, I’d say it would be my framing nailer.

Maybe I’m under-oiling?

Do you use nail guns in a portable fashion? I do. And I don’t have a water separator on that (I do on my shop setups). Maybe I ought to for the nail gun.

I have run redline air tool oil since I’ve owned air tools. I do have a little thing of marvel air tool oil too from when I was at my other garage and borrowed an air hammer.

I can’t see that any oil has ever blown out the exhaust of any of my tools, and if one would be the most likely, I’d say it would be my framing nailer.

Maybe I’m under-oiling?

Do you use nail guns in a portable fashion? I do. And I don’t have a water separator on that (I do on my shop setups). Maybe I ought to for the nail gun.
My nail guns (brad nailer, framing nailer, stapler, flooring nailer etc.) are all oil-less. So, portable? Sure, they’re at the job site - and I have. Small compressor for them now that the big one is at the shop. Nail guns don’t use much air, so a small, quiet, also oil-less, compressor is perfect for them.

My framing nailer calls for oil, but I’m trying to see if my Bostitch brad and pin nailers require any. The manual says nothing, nor do the bodies. I’m assuming no oil for any of them. Maybe my palm nailer though…

My nail guns (brad nailer, framing nailer, stapler, flooring nailer etc.) are all oil-less. So, portable? Sure, they’re at the job site - and I have. Small compressor for them now that the big one is at the shop. Nail guns don’t use much air, so a small, quiet, also oil-less, compressor is perfect for them.
Yeah, my point was that whatever the compressor/air setup, it’s not as amenable to filtration and water separation as other scenarios.

Maybe I’m under-oiling?

I'm not sure what you mean by portable fashion. I used a Pancake compressor for finish nailing on a job site back in the day. Last time I used them I powered them from my 60 gallon compressor running 100' of hose from the garage down the basement steps. All three tools got a workout doing framing and finish work.

I have three nail guns, a framing nailer, a finish nailer, and a brad/stapler. I use about 5 drops of oil in the framer, 3 in the other two guns. I will get a little hint of oil the first few shots, that's about it. I'd rather over oil the tool than under oil it, 3-5 drops seems to be the magic numbers.

Back