Air compressor advice-need new one

I thought maybe I would check with the group to see if anyone could advise me on an air compressor.

I’m looking at a 25-30 gallon compressor to replace an old 30 gallon craftsman 180 dBA oil free model I have that is worn out. I have looked at the Fortress, DeWalt, Husky, craftsman, and Lowes Quiettech.

Anyone have any experiences that could steer me to or from any model? I don’t use it a lot anymore, as most of my tools are cordless. I just want something that’s quieter and doesn’t cause me to have heart failure every time it starts but I also want something that isn’t full of problems either. Thanks!

What's worn out about it? I just recently replaced the cylinders and rings on my 2 stage 60 gallon Craftsman and it runs like new again. The new models you listed are probably made in China while the older Craftsman were U.S. made.

I've had a Kobalt Quiet Tech 26gal vertical unit for 3-4yrs now. It's got an oil-less California Air Tools style compressor on it. It is surprisingly quiet for a unit this size. It makes about the same noise as an a/c window unit compressor. The hardest use I put it through is when I fluid film and woolwax my vehicles. It keeps up ok with that kind of duty.

It was a toss up between this unit and Porter-Cable belt drive 120VAC oil lubed unit Tractor Supply used to sell. I'm pretty sold on these quiet compressors for home use.

I like the higher psi models. they are more efficient for running air tools. Also stores much more energy in same size tank.

Dont mind the HP numbers anything that is 120v that says over 1.7hp is cheating.. ie peak hp shop vacs etc.
you can only pull enough wattage out of a 15amp 120v to make 1.7hp.

I thought maybe I would check with the group to see if anyone could advise me on an air compressor.

I’m looking at a 25-30 gallon compressor to replace an old 30 gallon craftsman 180 dBA oil free model I have that is worn out. I have looked at the Fortress, DeWalt, Husky, craftsman, and Lowes Quiettech.

Anyone have any experiences that could steer me to or from any model? I don’t use it a lot anymore, as most of my tools are cordless. I just want something that’s quieter and doesn’t cause me to have heart failure every time it starts but I also want something that isn’t full of problems either. Thanks!
what are you going to use it for?

Years ago, like 14+, I bought a Sanborn 2 stage from Menards. It is pretty quiet compared to my old CH single stage.

Here is a similar one from Menards compressor

Just my $0.02

you gotta say what is your budget!!! spending more can be best fot the long run + a larger unit will run less which is better, + dont forget the duty cycle, search + learn before you buy!!

I have this compressor at work and i run it quite hard between air ratchets air blowers etc. i dont know what the duty cycle is but its never cut out on me. i chose this compressor due to the oil bath compressor. i dont believe in oil-less compressors as they seem to not last as long when used frequently. only downside is the noise level. it is very loud.

What's worn out about it? I just recently replaced the cylinders and rings on my 2 stage 60 gallon Craftsman and it runs like new again. The new models you listed are probably made in China while the older Craftsman were U.S. made.
It’s slow to build pressure anymore

I've had a Kobalt Quiet Tech 26gal vertical unit for 3-4yrs now. It's got an oil-less California Air Tools style compressor on it. It is surprisingly quiet for a unit this size. It makes about the same noise as an a/c window unit compressor. The hardest use I put it through is when I fluid film and woolwax my vehicles. It keeps up ok with that kind of duty.

It was a toss up between this unit and Porter-Cable belt drive 120VAC oil lubed unit Tractor Supply used to sell. I'm pretty sold on these quiet compressors for home use.
I was looking at that very model. That’s exactly what I would use mine the most for laying down woolwax. Have you had any issues with yours?

you gotta say what is your budget!!! spending more can be best fot the long run + a larger unit will run less which is better, + dont forget the duty cycle, search + learn before you buy!!
Most likely no more than the 500ish price range

The most work I would put it through would be to spay wool wax under the cars. Mostly just for filling up tires and the occasional blowgun, impact wrench
The cordless compressors with automatic shutoff at a set PSI are nice. I have A Ryobi and Milwaukee.

Cordless impact also nice. Milwaukee M18 Fuel high torque.

Air compressors are like rototillers. There's a bazillion out there that get used a few times a year with super low hours. Offerup and marketplace are full of them.

Back