New Castrol 0W-40 ? Has 5W-40 been replaced....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm - So at this point, what's the best oil to get (Hoard) using the BOGO at AAP? GC or BC (if I can get them to do BOGO)?
WWYD? or a mix?

I think I'm going to get some 5W-50, and some 0W-40. Maybe half and half. Can always exchange for a different weight later if necessary.

Well, I picked up some of each so far (16 quarts total). Going to hit up another AAP and look into some more. Seriously though, is anybody willing to kick in a dollar or 2 to help cover the costs of the VOA's so I can VOA both the 0W-40 and the 5W-50, both SN flavor?

paypal: [email protected]

Mods: if this is unethical, or against forum rules, please delete.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
This is what I got from Castrol NA:

Visc @ 100C: 13.5
Visc @ 40C: 79.3
VI: 169
Low temp cranking visc: 6200@-35C
Low temp pumping visc: 60,000@-40C
HT/HS visc: 3.5 (minimum)
Pour point: -60C
Flash point: >200C
Density @ 15C: 0.84

Wow, that is one of the THINNEST 40 weights out there (at least by the HTHSV), but CATERHAM (and others) will of course critique it for that low V.I., and claim that it is not all that thin, due to that number.

I believe the HTHSV for the 0W-40 is 3.6cP from a European Castrol website IIRC and can't pull up right now.
I don't have a problem with the HTHSV of 3.6cP, (that's the same as the Cdn made SM version of M1 0W-40 with a 187 V.I.) but the 169 V.I. for the Castrol 0W-40 is not impressive.

Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 has better spec's (HTHSV 3.68cP, 180 V.I.) and PU 0W-40 with it's 186 V.I. is more comparable to M1 0W-40 but without the European qualifications.

M1 0W-40 remains the king of the readily available OTC 0W-40 grade.

What's the VI of GC (Edge w/SPT 0/30)?
EDIT: found it: 167 .... so the VI of 0w/40 is barely above Edge 0w/30...
What does this really mean in terms of real life performance? is it a reason not to use it??

I currently have PU 5/40 in my 330Ci...I've been playing with the idea of using some 0w/40 in it, just for the heck of it, and if i can get some bogo...Now I feel weird after seeing these posts about its low VI

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
What does this really mean in terms of real life performance? is it a reason not to use it??

In all honesty, we're splitting hairs here, as is typically the case on BITOG.
smile.gif
I would expect all these LL-01/MB 229.5 approved oils to deliver very comparable performance.

VI of around 170 is very good. Up until recently, only the best of the best had it. Now there are a few oils out there approaching 200. But VI is just one of many of the oil's parameters, not some holy grail. If you're after the highest VI BMW approved oil, then M1 0w-40 is obviously your ticket.

What I personally find intriguing about Castrol 0w-40, as I noted earlier, is its very low pour point, which may point to its high end pedigree, if one is concerned about such a thing. From a practical perspective, does it really matter in some place in North Carolina? I doubt it.

I take it the 0W40 is too new for a general consensus ?

For 2 of the cars in the house, both bimmers, I've ran GC and recently PUE 5W40.

About to passby a AAP tomorrow *not one locally*.
Was planning to stock up on some Castrol due to sale.
Do I go tried and true GC or the OW40..

I bought 18 quarts of 5W-50, and 14 quarts of 0W-40 today. I'm good for awhile now
smile.gif

Also have a 5 gallon bucket of Mag1 15W-40 coming at ~$10/gallon.

smile.gif
I would expect all these LL-01/MB 229.5 approved oils to deliver very comparable performance.

VI of around 170 is very good. Up until recently, only the best of the best had it. Now there are a few oils out there approaching 200. But VI is just one of many of the oil's parameters, not some holy grail. If you're after the highest VI BMW approved oil, then M1 0w-40 is obviously your ticket.

What I personally find intriguing about Castrol 0w-40, as I noted earlier, is its very low pour point, which may point to its high end pedigree, if one is concerned about such a thing. From a practical perspective, does it really matter in some place in North Carolina? I doubt it.

Thanks for pointing me back in the direction of reality - Makes a lot of sense what you said, esp. considering I drive the Bimmer pretty conservatively most of the time...

smile.gif

M1 0W-40's higher VI means it's lighter on start-up than both Castrol 0W-40 and even GC 0W-30. How much lighter? It's still 10% lighter at 60F and progressively more so at lower temp's and this is despite M1 having a significantly higher HTHSV.
As for the low poor point, it's a largely meaningless spec' particularly in light of the fact that Castrol doesn't provide very useful MRV and CCS spec's.

On balance once again M1 0W-40 almost impossible to beat for the price and unless Castrol 0W-40 was significantly cheaper I'd stick with M1.

Caterham, yes, but again, from a practical standpoint, how much longer will your engine live on M1 0w-40 vs. the others? IMO, it's of no substantial relevance to an average owner.

And yes, thanks to the current BOGO deal at AAP, Castrol 0w-40 is cheaper than M1 0w-40.

I have a feeling 97tbird is hesitant to run M1 0w-40 due to the numerous reports of it making M54 engines sound noisy. Whether this is justified or not and whether that's still the case with the latest SN formulation, I have no idea.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

smile.gif

M1 0W-40's higher VI means it's lighter on start-up than both Castrol 0W-40 and even GC 0W-30. How much lighter? It's still 10% lighter at 60F and progressively more so at lower temp's and this is despite M1 having a significantly higher HTHSV.
As for the low poor point, it's a largely meaningless spec' particularly in light of the fact that Castrol doesn't provide very useful MRV and CCS spec's.

On balance once again M1 0W-40 almost impossible to beat for the price and unless Castrol 0W-40 was significantly cheaper I'd stick with M1.

IMO, from my experience in VW CC, once temperature drops below 65, my engine was noisier on start with M1 then it is with GC! With M1 in the morning I always, but always had rattling camshaft sound for about 2-3sec. With GC, that would happen only, but ONLY if I did not drive car for 2-3 days. Rattling sound I did not have with GC one morning in New Mexico when it was 16 degrees.

I have a feeling 97tbird is hesitant to run M1 0w-40 due to the numerous reports of it making M54 engines sound noisy. Whether this is justified or not and whether that's still the case with the latest SN formulation, I have no idea.

You're right in that assumption, and I know it might sound silly, but hearing/reading that sort of stuff over and over again on oil/bmw boards just messes with your brain, and I keep avoiding M1. And sometimes I am almost ashamed to admit that I avoid M1 without ever having tried it even once.
who knows? someday I might be brave and do it.

and I know it might sound silly, but hearing/reading that sort of stuff over and over again on oil/bmw boards just messes with your brain, and I keep avoiding M1.

I'm right there with ya, as irrational as it sounds.
smile.gif
Yet I have no problem feeding it to the C300.

Caterham, yes, but again, from a practical standpoint, how much longer will your engine live on M1 0w-40 vs. the others? IMO, it's of no substantial relevance to an average owner.

And yes, thanks to the current BOGO deal at AAP, Castrol 0w-40 is cheaper than M1 0w-40.

I will add that I have not experienced that with my sister's M54 FWIW.

Originally Posted By: GMorg
When did AAP start selling GC? It used to be exclusively sold at AZ in the US.

every major retailer sell's them O'Reilly has them in the back or in there where house when not avaliable at the store.and Advance sell it as well if you can find it.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Now, can the same thing be claimed for the Red Line 0W-40 over the sacred 'holy grail' M1 0W-40??
21.gif

In other words, does RL's higher VI make it thinner than the M1 at ALL temps, DESPITE it's ~.2 higher HTHSV, or is the VI difference not great enough to make up for that HTHSV difference?
confused2.gif

Finally made my AAP run; visited 2 stores:
1st one only had BC - got all 6 qts they had on the rack; (more coming next week but i will be out of country) - rang up as BOGO
They didn't carry GC at all.

2nd one had 4 BC qts on the rack - that's all they had; got all 4 qts (rang up as BOGO) -
[ok who cleaned up BC in these 2 stores??)]
They also had GC
smile.gif
got 8 qts of that BOGO .... I was tempted to buy more, but I get curious about other oils from time to time and this should cover me for at least 2 self oil changes on the Bimmer
smile.gif

So the tally is 8 qts of GC and 10 qts of BC for BOGO - quite happy
smile.gif
- Now the pics:
smile.gif

IMG_0910_zps85740205.jpg

IMG_0911_zps0f42d66b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back