New Castrol 0W-40 ? Has 5W-40 been replaced....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen it at two different Advance Auto stores in my area, and it is part of the bogo sale. I hope to get a sample out to Blackstone soon.
What's odd, is one of the stores also just started carrying GC. It used to be only available from Autozone around here, south Atlanta.

Last edited:
I put all of the Castrol in the AAP cart just playing around, and the 0w40 was the only one that did not ring up as BOGO, but that was on line. If you picked it up in store you still might have a good shot at getting a counter worker to ring it up BOGO.

"call local store" on NAPA for me.
Meh - I'm curious about this oil, really - but would be cool if it had been bogo
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: dubie2003
Are the rules about labeling an oil as "synthetic" the same in Belgium as it is in Germany?

No, they are not.

It would be irrelevant anyway since this oil is not to be sold outside of US, so they don't have to adhere to Belgian laws.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
shocked2.gif

Thanks!

I sent a message to Castrol asking them where the specs are.
smile.gif

More comedy from Castrol... in response to my question about technical characteristics, they sent me a reply listing the mfg specs that they copied from the bottle picture that I had sent them the day before.
33.gif
I swear, monkeys would have done a better job.

I get a little worried about that outfit, not that other customer service replies are much better from other majors over the phone. You would have to go through quite a few layers to get to a real tech person at one of the majors. Ain't gonna happen.

But I'm not asking about anything proprietary. I'm just asking for a PDS which is meant for general public. If they have a product on the shelf, they must have a PDS for it, at least one would think.
smile.gif

Are the rules about labeling an oil as "synthetic" the same in Belgium as it is in Germany?

No, they are not.

It would be irrelevant anyway since this oil is not to be sold outside of US, so they don't have to adhere to Belgian laws.

Does this apply to the GC? Wonder if there are 2 different formulas,s one for sale in the US and on in Germany?

Does this apply to the GC? Wonder if there are 2 different formulas,s one for sale in the US and on in Germany?

Nobody knows. The GC as we know it may not even be sold in Germany at all. Castrol has a number of 0w-30 oils in Europe, but we have no way to tell if any of them are the same as our GC.

Just went to my local Advance Auto (South Carolina just outside Savannah) they have both 5w-40 as well as the 0w-40. Both products were included in the BOGO- I only bought the 5w, but they have their little promotional sign right in front of the 0w slot as well. Only six quarts of 0w available, plenty of 5w...

This is what I got from Castrol NA:

Visc @ 100C: 13.5
Visc @ 40C: 79.3
VI: 169
Low temp cranking visc: 6200@-35C
Low temp pumping visc: 60,000@-40C
HT/HS visc: 3.5 (minimum)
Pour point: -60C
Flash point: >200C
Density @ 15C: 0.84

Based on this, it appears to be the same as the European Castrol Edge Professional A3 0w-40.

Based on this, it appears to be the same as the European Castrol Edge Professional A3 0w-40.

It should be good oil. But I hate Castrol and their transparency.

Nobody knows. The GC as we know it may not even be sold in Germany at all. Castrol has a number of 0w-30 oils in Europe, but we have no way to tell if any of them are the same as our GC.

The only 0w30 I have found in Europe is Castrol Edge 0w30.

They do several 5w30's but that is the only 0w30 I have seen.

Will have another look around as I was on the look out for a 0w30 for the Volvo which would be an A5/B5 oil and there might be an A3/B3/B4 version of Edge 0w30.

I was just looking at the UK/Europe site Pete which might explain it.

For a company like Castrol you would think they would make getting their products would be easier.

The only Professional product I have seen for retail purchase is the 5w20 product for the new 1.0 Focus Ecoboost engine.

I think a lot of the newer Jaguars and LandRovers use these lighter oils and you usually have to find their oil at the main dealer from what I can find out.

Though I did compare two PDS's of Castrol oil, one Magnatec and one the same viscosity Edge and they were identical.

Both were apparently for oils that are different in price, so it made me wonder how accurate the data was on the Castrol site.

From memory they were 5w30 A5/B5 oils.

Wow, that is one of the THINNEST 40 weights out there (at least by the HTHSV), but CATERHAM (and others) will of course critique it for that low V.I., and claim that it is not all that thin, due to that number.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Wow, that is one of the THINNEST 40 weights out there (at least by the HTHSV),

Keep in mind this is Castrol. They don't provide the actual HTHS figures. What they provide is the minimum required by the spec which is 3.5 cP in this case. The actual HTHS is likely higher.

What I do find impressive here is the pour point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back