New Car- Luxury

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Zee09
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Another vote for the Impala. They're the most comfortable cars I have ever ridden in. Also reasonably priced and the current model has been out for several years so it will be reliable.

That is why I put in the sleeper price ( For the Impala)

I did study up on them a bit and I know most here like the V6

But in the early years the 4 cylinder had a worse reliability rating .
I have not heard about that since 2016
Is it still true or has that been sorted out?

Have you test driven one yet?
Once you do, I'm almost certain you'll be pleasantly surprised for the amount of content and price you'll pay vs. the import competition.

I did about four years ago.
I think the car is a great value. Of course I have not tried a 2018 model.
I have a thing with GM- all my family worked there and you were abused if you didn't buy GM...

I have seen GM trucks take an absolute beating and continue to run until the body rotted out.
The only bad thing I have seen is their AC units were never so great.

I do plan on a test drive soon- The Impala seems to be severely undervalued.

The 9th Gen (2008-2014) and 10th Gen (2015+) Impalas about as wide and dramatic of a change possible. The newest ones are fantastic and the old ones (despite the fact it was one of my 'self defeating' emotional attachments in our fleet) you could not pay me to own one. I have that I convinced my folks to go with Fusions (great car) and I think I salted the earth to convince them to upsize back to the Impala.

I did about four years ago.
I think the car is a great value. Of course I have not tried a 2018 model.
I have a thing with GM- all my family worked there and you were abused if you didn't buy GM...

I have seen GM trucks take an absolute beating and continue to run until the body rotted out.
The only bad thing I have seen is their AC units were never so great.

I do plan on a test drive soon- The Impala seems to be severely undervalued.

I rented a V6 Impala for a week this spring … smooth and quiet … good driver too …
It was about the mid level … would love to check out the high end model …

Originally Posted By: Tahoe4Life
I also vote for the V6 Impala. For a nice SUV I vote for the Yukon Denali.

LOL … my wife voted for that Denali … we got what’s in your signature and she is very happy with it and the money saved

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
The 9th Gen (2008-2014) and 10th Gen (2015+) Impalas about as wide and dramatic of a change possible. The newest ones are fantastic and the old ones (despite the fact it was one of my 'self defeating' emotional attachments in our fleet) you could not pay me to own one. I have that I convinced my folks to go with Fusions (great car) and I think I salted the earth to convince them to upsize back to the Impala.

What are the problem areas on these? Thanks!

Thanks
Did you happen to look at the oil fill??? Is it a 0w20?
How about mpg and wind noise?

On what?

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Thanks

On what?

The Impala

Thanks

On what?

The Impala

No wind noise … quiet car … did not check oil type since rental, but even my 5.3L Tahoe is on 0W20 these days … but far quieter than my older 5.3L is on 5W40 …

I drove the car about 200 miles and put no fuel in so did not check mpg

Last edited:
LOL … my wife voted for that Denali … we got what’s in your signature and she is very happy with it and the money saved

I am also very happy with my Tahoe. Hit 40K miles yesterday. So far just oil changes with 0w20 M1.

Subaru close by? For 2018 they got serious about earlier wind noise complaints in the Outback/Legacy and put laminated side window glass in the front doors and I find it pretty quiet on the highway. I suspect its the cheapest car to have laminated side window glass standard. The 4 is nearly silent in regular cruising but the 6 is supposed to be a bit quieter still at cruise, and make more pleasant sounds under moderate and high acceleration and rpms.
Also its got huge 225/65R17 tires which roll pretty smooth over most broken pavement once I set them down at 32/30 front/rear psi, down from 35/32 that is on the door sticker, and they have plenty of load rating to run a bit lower even. Ford in 1996 would have the door sticker at 26psi for this size of tire and vehicle weight.
I believe though that RAM pickups are among the quietest vehicles available at any price. Either you will notice the solid rear axle extra action in the bumps or not, some don't seem to notice or care.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Subaru close by? For 2018 they got serious about earlier wind noise complaints in the Outback/Legacy and put laminated side window glass in the front doors and I find it pretty quiet on the highway. I suspect its the cheapest car to have laminated side window glass standard. The 4 is nearly silent in regular cruising but the 6 is supposed to be a bit quieter still at cruise, and make more pleasant sounds under moderate and high acceleration and rpms.

I kinda second that. Even pre-2018 the highway noise is fairly good... but if you were coming from a laminated side glass vehicle, I can see the complaint. I would say Subaru is very good as a cruiser for the average "non-luxury" brands. The 4 can be noisy when it has to kick down.

The downside to Subaru is the seats. My wife likes them, I am willing to sell the car just because of them (injury has made them uncomfortable).

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Also its got huge 225/65R17 tires which roll pretty smooth over most broken pavement once I set them down at 32/30 front/rear psi, down from 35/32 that is on the door sticker, and they have plenty of load rating to run a bit lower even. Ford in 1996 would have the door sticker at 26psi for this size of tire and vehicle weight.
I believe though that RAM pickups are among the quietest vehicles available at any price. Either you will notice the solid rear axle extra action in the bumps or not, some don't seem to notice or care.

I think both Mopar and GM (on SUV) have figured out how to make the solid rear axle more refined with coils, linkage, air support, and smaller AS bars … and I have had good performance from AAM/Eaton rear ends …

Another vote for the Impala. They're the most comfortable cars I have ever ridden in. Also reasonably priced and the current model has been out for several years so it will be reliable.

I happen to like the new Impala V/6. It is comfortable, quiet, looks good, and drives great. It is the only full-size American car that I would consider purchasing. A loaded-up one can get kind of pricey for a Chevy though. It would be a shame if GM decided to kill it off (if the rumors are true). Unfortunately, they are not selling very well.

I had a 2005 Impala that was a piece of junk. Gauges worked randomly, wheel covers started peeling immediately, etc. several people I know had similar or worse issues with that model. That being said, my aunt had one almost identical to mine that she drove until recently with little if any issues.

I said I would never buy another one but came across a "Godfather" of a deal on a 2011 Impala. It's my favorite car I've owned to this point. It has been reliable other than a fuel pump going bad after a very respectable 125,000 miles. The car looks as good as the day I bought it. As far as the current generation of Impalas, I've heard a lot of good things and I like the body style. I am looking into them for my next purchase.

Originally Posted By: wag123

I happen to like the new Impala V/6. It is comfortable, quiet, looks good, and drives great. It is the only full-size American car that I would consider purchasing. A loaded-up one can get kind of pricey for a Chevy though. It would be a shame if GM decided to kill it off (if the rumors are true). Unfortunately, they are not selling very well.

Concur. I love getting these as rentals but the wholesale/rental market is not profitable for GM and profitable new car consumers not interested in a great family sedan except Camry it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back