Chinese Buick Envision AWD, 2.5L 4 cylinder, 2017

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Keep in mind the traditional Buick buyer (average age about 60) is fiercely patriotic.
People buy Chinese goods for cheaper stuff, but plopping down $40k for an "American" Buick made in China is too much for most.
Younger people may not have the perspective to care much, yet they don't buy Buicks. They wouldn't be caught dead in a Buick, a granny car.

The Buick Encore is their #1 selling vehicle and attracts many woman and they are younger. If you a do a google search you will find their average age has been trending down since 2010.

I believe the second part of your statement is your belief and not based on fact. But I would be happy to be corrected.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
I will never buy a vehicle manufactured in China. Never!

Our trade imbalance with China is most certainly stupidity on America's behalf. It borders on war on China's behalf.

Scott
You are 1 out of the 27 in this nation that cares !!!

Great review, Cujet. I love the review format and concise nature. Making BITOG great again
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
Originally Posted By: CKN
This is BITOG where new cars are not purchased by most. Anything over 10grand is too much.

Sticker price is not indicative of sell price. Witness GM trucks that can be bought for 15% to 17% off sticker at the right time.

Chinese made/branded cars will be on American roads within two years.

If you look at Volvos, they are already here.

True-but branded Chinese cars-
http://www.autoblog.com/2017/01/10/chinese-gac-cars-us-sale/

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
If it turns out to be successful here, the plans are to build it in the states-Either in Lansing or in Lordstown along with the Nox and Terrain with the Cruze finally goes to Mexico...

The D2XX GM platform:
2018 Terrain: Mexico
2018 Equinox: Canada
2018 Envision: China

Do you have a reference source for the change in plans about where they will be made, and which years are you talking about?
The Terrain just went to Mexico, so it would be strange if that got reversed anytime remotely soon.
The Envision is built in China because Buick is popular there.
The Equinox has always been built in Canada, but recently re-tooled for the all-new 2018 Equinox. So they are moving too????

Don't forget that Ford will build the next Focus in China-
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/20/business/ford-focus-china-production.html

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I watched a review of one of these recently by a pretty critical automotive journalist and he was pleasantly surprised and had mostly good things to say about it. I agree with you on the price though, that is way to much money to spend. That thing is going to depreciate quickly.
The current figure for new cars is 17 % a year. But, but It's a Buick......

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
This is BITOG where new cars are not purchased by most. Anything over 10grand is too much.

Sticker price is not indicative of sell price. Witness GM trucks that can be bought for 15% to 17% off sticker at the right time.

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/01/10/chinese-gac-cars-us-sale/
WHich Volvo is built in China? The Chinese own Volvo but the plants-afaik- are still in Sweden. SO say the sales persons
who NEVER lie.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
I will never buy a vehicle manufactured in China. Never!

Our trade imbalance with China is most certainly stupidity on America's behalf. It borders on war on China's behalf.

Scott

Probably more greed than stupidity. These companies go to a country where the labor rate is 1/10th the USA, but still charge USA prices on their products.

Quote:

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/01/10/chinese-gac-cars-us-sale/ [/quote] WHich Volvo is built in China? The Chinese own Volvo but the plants-afaik- are still in Sweden. SO say the sales persons
who NEVER lie. [/quote]
I believe there are Volvo plants in Sweden/Belgium and China too. You might want to check the country of origin on the Volvo xc90

Originally Posted By: Cujet

Note: Chinese build quality: I popped the hood.....,

Chinese don't do that.

Keep in mind the traditional Buick buyer (average age about 60) is fiercely patriotic.
People buy Chinese goods for cheaper stuff, but plopping down $40k for an "American" Buick made in China is too much for most.
Younger people may not have the perspective to care much, yet they don't buy Buicks. They wouldn't be caught dead in a Buick, a granny car.

The Buick Encore is their #1 selling vehicle and attracts many woman and they are younger.

I've noticed that too, though traditionally its supposed to be policemen.

Here you go-
For now, the S60 sedan is the only Chinese-made car currently on sale in America, until the Buick Envision arrives later this year.

Link-
http://www.businessinsider.com/theres-on...drove-it-2016-2

The current year is 2017. The article was written in 2016. The Envision has been in U.S. showrooms for a full year now.

The article was sited to reference that there was an indeed Chinese Volvo on the road. I am well aware of the date of the article.........

Sometimes you need to read the whole thread.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gregk24
I watched a review of one of these recently by a pretty critical automotive journalist and he was pleasantly surprised and had mostly good things to say about it. I agree with you on the price though, that is way to much money to spend. That thing is going to depreciate quickly.

I sat in one on the dealer's showroom floor while having the Regal's oil changed. It felt very solid and roomy, and was not the pregnant whale of the Enclave or the athletic shoe of the Encore to look at.

Still, $45K is ridiculous, even if it were a superb vehicle. I'll need to wait a few years if I decide I want a small-ish SUV/CUV.

Cujet, great write up! Thanks for taking the time.

In regards to the MSRP thing. I wonder what these actually sell for? IMO, sticker prices are just a pie in the sky, especially for "domestic" vehicles.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by CKN

Chinese cars have been two years away for ten years now.

It's been almost 4 years...any of them actually here yet?

It's been almost 4 years...any of them actually here yet?
Well... some of them have Buick badges.....but yea, the world stage has changed dramatically in the last few years. You have the "China Virus", the South China Sea, etc. So things have changed.

Back