New car battery recommendations...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's time to replace my battery in my 2013 Corolla S. Last few starts have been weaker and weaker. I've use group 35 Duralast Golds in the past but it now looks like they have changed from 640 CCA to around 575 CCA. There seems to be some good sales going right now with AAP 20% and Pepboys is having a 25% off battery coupon. I was planning on going to Costco for a Kirkland Signature but it sounds like those are phased out. Recommendations? SoCal weather so it fairly gets below 30.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet the 575 CCA reversion will provide all the power you need and last a little longer since it has less CCA.

Cant go wrong with AAP discount codes or the valuepower at walmart. Although the valu is still to new for anyone to know long term reliability but for $48.. and no less then 30 degrees in cali i would do it

Wow...still shocks me how fast batteries need replacing down south. Still on my original but Ive heard good things about the dealer battery (made by east penn). Seems johnson controls had a good reputation but unsure if that still holds true.

i always used Duralast gi=old Batteries because i have a commercial account at auto zone but the last 3 or 4 batteries i got all seem to be not as good as the older batteries from auto zone.. Some say Costco interstate batteries are really good and have the better warranty but i don't know for sure..What i am sure of is i am finished with Duralast gold.

Walmart Maxx. Our local store sells enough batteries that the ones in stock are almost always less than two months old. The Maxx in my Camry is going on eight years old and seems to be as good as when installed.

If same as signature location CA, 'afaik' AAP would not be option?* If not, trt41 code would get you $40 off $100, with speed perks membership sign up.

Otherwise WM seems to have some respectable prices and choices from their 1 year warranty value batteries, to their Maxx Ever Start batteries line with 3 year full then 2 year prorata warranty.

Not sure about Costco situation.

EDIT Perhaps CARQUEST stores in CA are now get to use AAP codes? Looking at locator, seems possible.

Last edited:
If you buy one from Advance Auto check the date on the battery. I ordered one online with a $40.00 off coupon code and they tried giving me a battery that was 15 months old. Told them I don't want a new battery that is 15 months old. So we checked all the size 35 batteries and the newest one was 4 months old so I took that one. Many of the batteries in stock were over a year old. I was told they put them on clearance at 18 months.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I bet the 575 CCA reversion will provide all the power you need and last a little longer since it has less CCA.

+1

Costco batteries haven't changed, they were always made by Johnson Controls which makes Interstate. They are 42 month warranty, no prorated. They take care of their customers and day in day out price is great. No playing games around with coupons and less than ideal warranty policies.

If it fits in your Corolla's battery space/box, use the Group 24F. This is what I use in the Mazda 3 in my signature that requires the Group 35. The Group 24F is about $5-$8 cheaper and more powerful than the Group 35, in most brands.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Wow...still shocks me how fast batteries need replacing down south. Still on my original but Ive heard good things about the dealer battery (made by east penn). Seems johnson controls had a good reputation but unsure if that still holds true.

Heat kills batteries. 100 degree heat for months at a time is tough on a battery.

My advise is to buy something with a good warranty, and a company that isn't going out of business.

Do a search, there is a battery thread every few days. The responses are always the same...
33.gif

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Walmart Maxx. Our local store sells enough batteries that the ones in stock are almost always less than two months old. The Maxx in my Camry is going on eight years old and seems to be as good as when installed.
The OEM battery in my 08 Camry failed in October, as they say "just like that". I'd replace your 8 year old battery before you find out the hard way. 8 years is a pretty good lifespan.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mv6845
Thanks for all the replies. Going to head to costco.

If buying a battery:

East Penn is number one by a long shot.
Crown is very good and less money than East Penn
JCI = Junk
Exide = Bad Junk

Napa has a rebate promo going on right now. Napa's batteries are made by Deka.

Pep Boys batteries are Exide. AAP and Autozone/Duralast are JCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back