99 Months and 105k miles later…..it’s time for a new battery

The CCA is different on all 3 batteries. I am not so sure it's the same build with 3 different warranties.
I think that's just labeling, at least with the Value & Plus. It was 585 & 600 (respectively) with identical cases, and when I measured them in the store (oh yes I did) they both measured about 670cca. The Maxx however was a different battery and heavier. I believe it was the premium JCI. it measured high 700s I forget exactly. and realistically they will all last >3yrs in normal use. This was a year ago for the 24F at my local WM. things may be different now.

It's kind of like the Intel chip tiers... the low end chips actually cost more to make because they start off as the same high end chips. Then they physically cut part of the circuit off to reduce its speed. In this way they don't have to wafer fab multiple chip designs but they can still price discriminate. or at least that's what they did 20 years ago when I was still in the biz. it could be a whole different world now.

You got a good life out of that battery. With winter around the corner I would get a new one.

I did get a new battery.

A Duracell Gold maintenance free battery with a three year warranty.

As Bullwinkle alluded to in post #16, I believe checking the electrolyte level regularly and keeping it charged up goes a long way towards battery longevity. .
As well as having a battery with basic build quality to begin with.

And Donald, with all due respect, ain’t no way I’m dropping $400 to temperature compensate for the BA9!

I figure it helped me get 8+ years out of the OEM Exide, so, to me “that’s close enough for government work.”

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I did get a new battery.

A Duracell Gold maintenance free battery with a three year warranty.

As Bullwinkle alluded to in post #16, I believe checking the electrolyte level regularly and keeping it charged up goes a long way towards battery longevity. .
As well as having a battery with basic build quality to begin with.

And Donald, with all due respect, ain’t no way I’m dropping $400 to temperature compensate for the BA9!

I figure it helped me get 8+ years out of the OEM Exide, so, to me “that’s close enough for government work.”

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I was not suggesting to spend any $$ for a Midtronics. Only to compensate a little for the BA9 battery analyzer. Or bring battery to a 70F area, let stabilize and test again.

COLD weather SHRINKS battery output, so in cold climates buy more CCA, in the extreme heat flooded batteries can be better because you CAN add fluid unlike sealed ones. on that note i read that under the labels there are removable caps. X wifes new 80's mustang would NOT crank with its cheep OE battery but i got her a more powerful one of the same physical size + all was well!!

Back