New Borla exhaust for the Track Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Mostly wanted the soundtrack for the daily drive. My new route home, thanks CalTrans, is through UCSB so there are a lot of Prii to offend. There really isn't much HP to be gained through catbacks on the new Mustangs. the biggest gains are from eliminating the catalytic converters or going with full length headers. I can still get the cat delete pipes for "track, cough" duty.

Can you get a clip of it when you get it all on? Would love to hear it!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Good, I am glad we are on the same page regarding that point.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
So cost is the most likely reason, as you admit. Seems as valid a reason as anything to choose a different supplier.

Admit? I stated very early on in this thread:

I'd say I don't know what Ford was thinking but I think we all know what Ford was thinking
frown.gif
$$$$$$$$$

From the very get-go I stated that cost was the reason
crazy2.gif
Heck, that was the first post of mine you responded to!

It was you who mentioned that there may have been other reasons:

I simply can't think of a GOOD reason that they didn't use the T-56. Cost isn't a GOOD reason unless that decrease in cost had no adverse side effects, which, based on the facts presented in this thread, hardly seems to be the case. If they could have used a less expensive transmission that had a similar track record for bullet-proof reliability that the T-56 had, then it would have made sense. But that's not what happened. And as I said, there are people paid to make those decisions and I think in this case the wrong decision was made and Ford has had to deal with that. This is why the OP is getting a new transmission.

Now, back to the topic of the OP's exhaust system.

So I agreed with you, and you agreed with me, and you're still trying to argue?

When I have said "other reasons" the context of everything I have said has to do with "reasons other than engineering."

:facepalm: I'm not trying to argue! (though I fully acknowledge that it is indeed the end result here). What I AM trying to figure out is where the disconnect was when I stated initially that it was cost and this entire thing went sideways. but it would seem we are on the same page now anyways so......
21.gif

When I have said "other reasons" the context of everything I have said has to do with "reasons other than engineering."

And I think we'll both agree that price/cost is usually the determining factor once the engineering side of things is out of the way. My point was simply that I don't think this particular cost cutting measure, aside from being "just wrong" by putting a Chinese tranny in an American icon, ended up actually yielding that cost saving. That the engineers working on the project, who probably (as bdcardinal alluded to) wanted to use the GT500 transmission, were likely beat down by the bean counters to cheapen the project and this was the end result.

I often think that the potential cost of recalls, TSB's and warranty work isn't factored into what is discussed in the meetings that result in decisions like these. It is like some really smooth talking guy was able to sell the idea that doing a joint venture in China for a new transmission with a subsequently unknown track record was somehow going to save a pile of money over just going the traditional route with Tremec. And then when the car is on the road and these issues DO surface he's sipping cocktails in Tahiti or something, LOL
grin.gif

Mostly wanted the soundtrack for the daily drive.

It's hard to go wrong with the sound then, especially on a nice American V-8. As far from a f@rt cannon as a German Shepard from a Chihuahua.

My only sound concerns with aftermarket performance exhausts is excessive droning at hwy. cruise, especially with the corner exhaust shop mix & match jobs. A well-tuned system won't do that, however.

Your old R now has a 3" oval tube IPD exhaust system available for it. I can tell you it also plays a lovely road tune, perhaps a bit more burbly, but very sporty in a continental way. With the right additional upstream bits applied, it also adds about 65 hp starting 600 rpm sooner than stock.

:facepalm: I'm not trying to argue! (though I fully acknowledge that it is indeed the end result here). What I AM trying to figure out is where the disconnect was when I stated initially that it was cost and this entire thing went sideways. but it would seem we are on the same page now anyways so......
21.gif

Eh, another misunderstanding... maybe on my part. Doesn't matter, I don't care to go back and disect the conversation.

21.gif

Eh, another misunderstanding... maybe on my part. Doesn't matter, I don't care to go back and disect the conversation.

No worries
cheers3.gif

I had BBK off road X pipe with flow master American thunder catback, sounded horrible inside the car, ditched the X pipe and got an off-road mac H pipe, sounds much better. Now I'm itching to try mac prochamber for mid pipe, based on some videos I've watched I like the throaty sound it gives to the flowmasters.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Warrantied gear box? I don't remember seeing you posting about that before. Do you mind saying what happened, or linking to the post that explains if you had already posted on it?

Back on topic, it's good to hear that Amazon is stepping up to the plate and taking care of you! Yet another example of their great service.

Ford has been having quality issues with the MT-82, I blame it on the country of origin of the assembly. A Tremec TR-6060 like the GT-500, Camaro, and Challenger had would make too much sense in an American pony car.

It did not like going into 3rd at WOT. Real sketchy going to put it in 3rd going 70 on an on-ramp and hitting what felt like a wall even with the clutch pedal all the way down. It also was not fond of going into 1st at a stop, and it wasn't a fan of going into 2nd when cruising. I changed the fluid to the Amsoil syncromesh thinking that might help, but no dice. I will put a MGW shifter on it at some point. Also I figure while the trans is out, I can convince my tech to put at least the front drive-shaft loop in.

Thats a shame before God to put that refugee from a scrap metal pile in a nice car like that.
A nice American or German made unit would have made good press and a good selling feature to customers, instead they need to hide from it.
Ford needs to hang their head in shame for foisting the Harbor Freight of transmission on customers.

Nice choice on the exhaust. Borla makes some good stuff. I have a Borla cat-back on my 98 chevy Z71 and it's been on there since 2003. Still sounds great and still looks pretty good but the system does have some slight surface rust.

On my 2014 Mustang GT, I'm running the single tip GT500 mufflers with the over the axle pipes off of a 2013 GT500 which eliminates the resonators. Sounds very good. I will have to try and upload to Youtube the two not so good videos I made after installing the GT500 OTA pipes.

I originally had a Roush AB on the car but it was kind of too loud so I went with the quieter GT500's. Adding the GT500 OTA pipes made it a little louder but not quite as loud as the Roush.

The Borla S-type was also in the running but it was just more expensive than I wanted to spend at the time.

Post a sound clip of the new exhaust when you get it installed.

Wayne

Here is a picture of the GT500 tips as well as a comparison of the Stock OTA pipes next to the GT500 OTA pipes.

No new gearbox today, no replacement exhaust from "Bob" in India. sigh...

Nice!! When I transferred my Sirius to a new tuner, I spoke to "Alex" lol.

Mostly wanted the soundtrack for the daily drive. My new route home, thanks CalTrans, is through UCSB so there are a lot of Prii to offend. There really isn't much HP to be gained through catbacks on the new Mustangs. the biggest gains are from eliminating the catalytic converters or going with full length headers. I can still get the cat delete pipes for "track, cough" duty.

thumbsup2.gif
lol.gif
cool.gif

Plenty if the posts on the forums are an indication. Hopefully Ford will learn. Anybody know what tranny the BOSS 302 got?

Exact same one. One of my friends has a Laguna Seca and his uses the same p/n as mine.

The very FIRST thing I would do to a Boss is swap in a built, bulletproof, TR-6060, which I would be able to afford, IF I were able to swing a Boss/Laguna Seca.
wink.gif

Ultimately, what may seem like it is going to boost the profit on a vehicle in the boardroom can turn into the opposite situation once the product is out there. And it isn't like Mustangs are driven gently by many of the owners either. Catering to the demographic, making the cars DURABLE, has also been part of its history, which is also why it is surprising that they'd cheapen out on a crucial driveline component when the option to use a product they KNEW they would NOT have problems with was available.

This IMO is where Ford takes the biggest hit. The Stang has been hurt by the negative publicity.

But I also feel this has been amplified by the Internet. Smaller problems are made quite large with free publication all over...

A lot of the issues and complaints have to do with dealers just blaming drivers not being able to properly drive a manual equipped vehicle. My service manager tried to imply that, then literally caught himself mid sentence and said "o wait, you know how to drive one" and then approved replacement.

It should go in tomorrow, Bob in India's cousin, whose name I cannot pronounce, pulled through and UPS dropped off the new pipes at work today.

For anyone who may be, or may know, or may have heard of someone working at OSHA, the box that says "First aid center" that is blocked is not a First Aid Center for the purposes of this discussion.

The Made in the People's Republic of China gearbox is sitting in the tech's stall waiting for me to get to work tomorrow morning. Everything should be done, touch wood, by end of day tomorrow.

Good luck with the repairs.

I would be freaking out that they were banging around my baby, you're doing very well...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Good luck with the repairs.

I would be freaking out that they were banging around my baby, you're doing very well...

There's a lot I have left out, but ya, I am handling it well.

I will try to get a video later. The tech installed the BMR driveshaft loops also, now I am legal if I ever go to a drag strip.

BTW that pic was without the mid pipes in, the mufflers look better now. Had to get those pipes cut down a little bit. I went all over town to muffler shops, one didn't speak English, the other was hiding from the MATCO truck and the third one was closed for the weekend. Went to one of my customers shops and he showed me the hidden machine and racecar prep shop in the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back