New base plate for Fram

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in my local WM this morning and of course I visited the auto section. I noticed that many FRAM filters now have a new base plate. Not sure if this is a result of another round of cost saving.

Fram was aquired by the Rank Group of New Zealand,this group also aquired Champion Labs some time ago.Since they now own both companies,it is quite possible that Fram is being made similar to the e-core.

Originally Posted By: motorguy222
Fram was aquired by the Rank Group of New Zealand,this group also aquired Champion Labs some time ago.Since they now own both companies,it is quite possible that Fram is being made similar to the e-core.

The Rank Group appears to be an investment group. They also own Hefty and Reynolds, Prestone, Autolite. I don't see them merging the companies they own.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: motorguy222

The Rank Group appears to be an investment group. They also own Hefty and Reynolds, Prestone, Autolite. I don't see them merging the companies they own.
Rank obtained Prestone and Autolite in the purchase of Fram from Honeywell.

As for not combining/consolidating, if not merging operations, this thread implies otherwise.

I do not see much proof in that thread except someone saying some engineers at Champ Labs were fired. The company is an investment company and will try to maximize profits. But they also buy and sell companies to make a profit. They would want to keep the companies salable. And I realize that Champ Labs makes the filters for other companies like Mobil 1, etc, but they do not own the brand. So Mobil 1 can contract with whomever they wish to make Mobil 1 filters.

I am not sure what the big news is here. We already know what the best filter is and its a Amsoil Ea. Just most of us don't want to pay the price.

I do not see much proof in that thread except someone saying some engineers at Champ Labs were fired. The company is an investment company and will try to maximize profits. But they also buy and sell companies to make a profit. They would want to keep the companies salable. And I realize that Champ Labs makes the filters for other companies like Mobil 1, etc, but they do not own the brand. So Mobil 1 can contract with whomever they wish to make Mobil 1 filters.

I am not sure what the big news is here. We already know what the best filter is and its a Amsoil Ea. Just most of us don't want to pay the price.

What makes the EaO better than the Royal Purple, Delco UPF or the new NAPA Platinum? IE, what makes it better than any other glass media filter with a silicone ADBV?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

What makes the EaO better than the Royal Purple, Delco UPF or the new NAPA Platinum? IE, what makes it better than any other glass media filter with a silicone ADBV?

Agreed,,didn't the M1 out perform the EAO in one particle test posted on here a wile back?

Originally Posted By: daman

Agreed,,didn't the M1 out perform the EAO in one particle test posted on here a wile back?

How about we get a comment from Pablo, I am sure he will give us an honest opinion

Originally Posted By: daman

Particle test? I remember one member with the trending in a Tundra(was it?) and comparing high-end oil filters insols and ISO codes. I think the M1 and RP were on for the 'best' UOAs in those areas, while the EaO was ran on an OCI or two slightly less of a stellar UOA. Still, that isn't comparing apples to apples technically. You could easily have another app have any 1 of the high-end filters 'appear' best. I think that user commented in a conclusion that the use of 'any' of the high-end filters he tried seemed to be worth it over entry or even mid-tier filters.

Now, if this wasn't what you were referring to...never mind.
grin2.gif

Here is an excerpt from some Amsoil info: (the entire text is here: http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/EAOilFilterTest.aspx )

Ea Oil Filters have been evaluated using today’s benchmark test, the ISO 4548-12 multi-pass test. AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters provide 98.7 percent efficiency at 15µ and up to 70 percent efficiency at 7µ. Competitive filters range from approximately 85 to 92 percent efficiency at 15µ. When it comes to removing contaminants in the most critical size range (2 to 22µ), AMSOIL Ea Filters greatly outperform competitive filters.

We already know what the best filter is and its a Amsoil Ea. Just most of us don't want to pay the price.

What is this 'we' and 'us' stuff? Got a mouse in your pocket? Refer to yourself in the 3rd person?

WE will do OUR own reading and form OUR own opinions, thanks.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
We already know what the best filter is and its a Amsoil Ea. Just most of us don't want to pay the price.

What is this 'we' and 'us' stuff? Got a mouse in your pocket? Refer to yourself in the 3rd person?

Certainly everyone is allowed to come to their own conclusion and form their own opinions. Wasn't trying to alter that. I use a trackball by the way, not a mouse.

Having said that does anyone have SAE test results (even if from a manufacturers website) that suggest the Amsoil is not the best filter available? Especially in the smaller particle size, say 7 and/or 15 mircons.

The cut away pictures posted on BITOG sure make me think that the Amsoil Ea has the best available construction. I am talking best commercially available, non dual bypass, for cars and light trucks.

Last edited:
Here is an excerpt from some Amsoil info: (the entire text is here: http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/EAOilFilterTest.aspx )

Ea Oil Filters have been evaluated using today’s benchmark test, the ISO 4548-12 multi-pass test. AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters provide 98.7 percent efficiency at 15µ and up to 70 percent efficiency at 7µ. Competitive filters range from approximately 85 to 92 percent efficiency at 15µ. When it comes to removing contaminants in the most critical size range (2 to 22µ), AMSOIL Ea Filters greatly outperform competitive filters.

....and I can go buy a Donaldson P169071 for my 5.0L's with the SAME media for less money (it is their media) and get the same results. Though IIRC, Donaldson rates it at 10-microns, not 15.

Regardless, unless you have the data for the Royal Purple and other glass media filters, you haven't really said a whole bunch. Glass media is bound to perform very similarly with it all being based in some way shape or form on Donaldson's original design.

Quoting marketing material for your favourite manufacturer does nothing to prove otherwise.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

Certainly everyone is allowed to come to their own conclusion and form their own opinions. Wasn't trying to alter that. I use a trackball by the way, not a mouse.

Having said that does anyone have SAE test results (even if from a manufacturers website) that suggest the Amsoil is not the best filter available? Especially in the smaller particle size, say 7 and/or 15 mircons.

The cut away pictures posted on BITOG sure make me think that the Amsoil Ea has the best available construction. I am talking best commercially available, non dual bypass, for cars and light trucks.

Stratapore for FL-820S apps:

stratapore06.jpg

I think all the glass-media filters are VERY similar in construction (with the exception being the NAPA filter which has that goofy WIX ADBV combo setup) and you'd be hard pressed to find any real difference between them. They are all excellent filters and you can't go wrong with any of them IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back