Originally Posted By: OilProfessor
The Professor steers clear of Fram.

banned

I was waiting for that, LOL!!
grin.gif

Was that Mori?? lol

Couldn't be, he didn't use enough big words
wink.gif

Aw man! Un-ban the Prof so we can find out who it is. We need a lil mystery here to keep things interesting :^P

Ok, I have not been a member here long enough to know the back story. Who was this Professor guy and how about the person he was suspected of being?

Please pardon me if I seem obtuse.

Now my opinions of the Fram Orange Can: It is very basic. Better is available with ease, even much better by Fram. I could see the Orange Can as being useful, but not for extended OCI's.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
Ok, I have not been a member here long enough to know the back story. Who was this Professor guy and how about the person he was suspected of being?

Please pardon me if I seem obtuse.

Now my opinions of the Fram Orange Can: It is very basic. Better is available with ease, even much better by Fram. I could see the Orange Can as being useful, but not for extended OCI's.
If you want junk, it's available a lot cheaper-better filters are usually cheaper too!

Sorry for the late post guys. But I just looked at the Fram Tough Guard filter I bought about 5 months ago, and it indeed has this "new" baseplate style. So evidently it has been used for some time now, at least on some filters. I'm not really too concerned though. It still has the silicone ADBV, and I only plan to run it 5k miles. No biggie.

Was looking at the prices of, and inspecting the orange can while in Wally today. Average price, ~$4.65.

What I found interesting is, while the orange can and TG's I looked at, all had the new cheaper mounting hole design, the older/superior rounded design is still displayed on all the boxes. Guess there's not the rush to change the box display as there was to change the baseplate/mounting hole.
wink.gif

And yes, I said superior design when referring to the previous orange can baseplate.
crazy.gif

As for ecore design, even they (Champ) realized that mounting hole design was lousy and added the flat plate level with the end the threads to make installing blind applications easier. That said, now I can't seem to find any more reference to that on the Champ ecore site.

I honestly don't see what the big issue is with the new base plate.
Ecores have used a similar base plate for years, I have never heard of one failing. I would be more concerned about internal structure and filtering efficiency. I am not a Fram fan, prefer Wix or Purolator, but I just really don't see what all the hate is about on this new base!!!???

Quote:
Ecores have used a similar base plate for years,

Similar baseplate with one important difference, Champ added a flat plate (shown below), level with the end of the mounting hole over the original baseplate. Though I can longer find the plate mentioned in the Champ ecore ad description, it was touted as an improved design to aid in installing the filter in blind installation applications. Take away the plate, and you have the new, but not improved, Fram baseplate/mounting hole design.

And, as with much about the orange can, it's not necessarily about filter failure, it's about cost for construction. In this case, now an even cheaper designed baseplate.

filter-plate-champ-08-ecore.jpg

I think think this is much ado about nothing really. I have used the 'new' base plate several times now, including blind installations (Cavalier 2.2). It wasn't a problem.

I could MAYBE see if someone was a total oil change virgin and not mechanically inclined, but you either find the hole or you don't, then you start screwing.

But I agree, the new plate has a cheaper 'tinny' look about it compared to the old plate.

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
Another reason to keep using Napa Gold.

or a Purolator PureOne.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: chainblu
I think think this is much ado about nothing really. I have used the 'new' base plate several times now, including blind installations (Cavalier 2.2). It wasn't a problem.

I could MAYBE see if someone was a total oil change virgin and not mechanically inclined, but you either find the hole or you don't, then you start screwing.

But I agree, the new plate has a cheaper 'tinny' look about it compared to the old plate.

I'll get banned if I comment on a certain line in this post above ,right...??
whistle.gif

Anyway, wow, but Fram is everybody's whipping boy. I'm using the Xtended Guard (put on a few months ago), but have no idea what baseplate it has.

As long as the baseplate does what it's supposed to do, what's the problem?

On another note,I'm continually amazed that people will spend 20 or 30 thousand dollars on a vehicle and then gripe about $12 for a filter. If a $12 dollar filter give you the build quality and features you need, then buy it.

Last edited:
Has anyone cut open one of these new Fram filters? I'm curious if there are any internal changes. I haven't found any pictures using either the UBB search or my Google widget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back