New base plate for Fram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: Donald
We already know what the best filter is and its a Amsoil Ea. Just most of us don't want to pay the price.

What is this 'we' and 'us' stuff? Got a mouse in your pocket? Refer to yourself in the 3rd person?

WE will do OUR own reading and form OUR own opinions, thanks.

Certainly everyone is allowed to come to their own conclusion and form their own opinions. Wasn't trying to alter that. I use a trackball by the way, not a mouse.

Having said that does anyone have SAE test results (even if from a manufacturers website) that suggest the Amsoil is not the best filter available? Especially in the smaller particle size, say 7 and/or 15 mircons.

The cut away pictures posted on BITOG sure make me think that the Amsoil Ea has the best available construction. I am talking best commercially available, non dual bypass, for cars and light trucks.

Stratapore for FL-820S apps:

stratapore06.jpg

I think all the glass-media filters are VERY similar in construction (with the exception being the NAPA filter which has that goofy WIX ADBV combo setup) and you'd be hard pressed to find any real difference between them. They are all excellent filters and you can't go wrong with any of them IMHO.

more F/G's

Picture007.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
pic?
Went back to the WM and took 3 photos.

For example, PH3387A, the new design says 5M on the baseplate while the old design says 2E.
ruv792.jpg

25082tg.jpg

9ftxyu.jpg

And this is what the old design looks like.
FRM-HM3387A.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daman
Is it paper?

ROFL... "no its not paper!... its reinforced cellulose, better than steel!"

Originally Posted By: iExcel
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
pic?
Went back to the WM and took 3 photos.

For example, PH3387A, the new design says 5M on the baseplate while the old design says 2E.
ruv792.jpg

25082tg.jpg

9ftxyu.jpg

And this is what the old design looks like.
FRM-HM3387A.jpg

thanks for the pics

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Wow, it looks even cheaper now!!!
crazy2.gif

Is that even possible???

I didn't think so, but the pictures prove otherwise
grin.gif

Looks like a bear to install by feel with the thread boss out like that and no flush surface around it to feel around and find the hole.
You'd have to hit that nipple dead on to start the threads.

I wonder if WM would get mad if walked over to the tools, grabbed a hacksaw to cut it open to take pics. Then you could just put it back on the shelf and walk away.

The new base plate looks identical to the E-Core base plate.The difference is that the E-Core has a double plate.

If you look under the EC's second plate,you can see that the Frams plate is identical.

^^^what motorguy222 said^^^

Maybe the manufacturing "consolidation" is already happening. If the Ontario plant is closed, all those filters have to be made somewhere so perhaps Champ's lines were ramped up.

As r_r alluded to, that is a lousy design for the screw hole. The new extended screw opening design makes aligning the filter with the engine more difficult.

And, while the extended screw hole design of an ecore is similar/same, the added ecore flat plate was advertised specifically as an improvement to aid in aligning the opening. Obviously, this design is a step backward from the previous design, even for the orange can.
crazy.gif

Also, the non ecore ST's like the 7317 don't use the extended screw hole show here, they use a slight recess similar to other Champ made non ecore filters.

""Quoting marketing material for your favourite manufacturer does nothing to prove otherwise.""

This could be one of the best signature lines ever----

I was in my local WM this morning and of course I visited the auto section. I noticed that many FRAM filters now have a new base plate. Not sure if this is a result of another round of cost saving.
It's still the orange can of death and will not be installed by me on anything.

Originally Posted By: greenfordtruck
I was in my local WM this morning and of course I visited the auto section. I noticed that many FRAM filters now have a new base plate. Not sure if this is a result of another round of cost saving.

I'll make sure they know that, OK?

Originally Posted By: steve20
Originally Posted By: greenfordtruck

I'll make sure they know that, OK?

I see we have a PR guy working the threads on behalf of FRAM? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back