New base plate for Fram

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've contemplated getting one to see for myself, but all the locally available ones in my app are still the older plate style.

We cut open a Fram XG4386 with the new base after an oil change about a month ago and compared it to an "old" cut open
XG4386 and the internal components of the filters were identical. The only visible difference was the base plate.

I was cleaning out my toolbox at work today and came across some Amsoil EA oil filters that I had bought a couple years ago for my jeep I used to have and noticed they have the same design base plate as the new Frams, doesn't even have the extra plate in the center of it like the Ecore filters. Infact, the metal used in it looks even thinner than the fram's. I know the Amsoil EA filters are a good filter and get hyped up by some people here, so I'd say the new Fram design can't be all that bad. I'm using the new style TG Fram on my Scion and havn't had any problems with it yet.

would this be possible, say a conspiracy to produce and push inferior filters out to the public as a way of increasing wear rates on engines and thereby forcing the turnover market for vehicles to newer more gasoline efficient models?

The way some filters are made makes me think that not only are the manufacturers saving money, but also feeling good about wearing out the engines of their customers cars to boost economic growth (repairs) and fuel conservation as in customers forced into buying newer more efficient cars.

In a sense it is called planned obsolescence, just in this case sped up by a certain set of predisposing conditions designed to produce a desired objective, getting rid of older engines.

After seeing the cash for clunkers government program why not?

ALSO, what about that ZDDP forced out of oil by EPA?
ME thinks that will cause higher wear rates, ESPECIALLY on older less desired engines. Desirability here is determined by governmental fiat.

Quote:
Planned obsolescence or built-in obsolescence[1] in industrial design is a policy of deliberately planning or designing a product with a limited useful life, so it will become obsolete or nonfunctional after a certain period of time.[1] Planned obsolescence has potential benefits for a producer because to obtain continuing use of the product the consumer is under pressure to purchase again, whether from the same manufacturer (a replacement part or a newer model), or from a competitor which might also rely on planned obsolescence.[1]

In some cases, deliberate deprecation of earlier versions of a technology is used to reduce ongoing support costs, especially in the software industry. Though this could be considered planned obselescence, it differs from the classic form in that the consumer is typically made aware of the limited support lifetime of the product as part of their licensing agreement.

For an industry, planned obsolescence stimulates demand by encouraging purchasers to buy sooner if they still want a functioning product. Built-in obsolescence is used in many different products. There is, however, the potential backlash of consumers who learn that the manufacturer invested money to make the product obsolete faster; such consumers might turn to a producer (if any exists) that offers a more durable alternative.

Originally Posted by SEMI_287
Another reason to keep using Napa Gold.

Amen to that. I've never had anything but good luck with wix filters.

It will still filter fine, I don't see what all the fuss is about. Any seasoned oil changer shouldn't have any problem screwing it on anyway!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back