New base plate for Fram

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to WM to get a filter for my GF`s Olds (changed the oil today). To my utter disappointment,all of the Fram TG`s are now the cheapy baseplate :^( Hope Xtended Guard doesn`t go this route. Now there`s no decent filters at WM anymore (except for the Xtended Guard,which I bought for the next oci on my Z). The Bosche ones are WAY too expensive at $12. Guess it`s back to using Nissan OEM`s for me. I ended up getting one of the "good" AC Delco ones at Oreilly for her car. I just hate the inconvenience of going all the way to the dealership for a decent filter (although I may just order a case from Courtesy Parts).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OilProfessor
The Professor steers clear of Fram.

Referring to yourself in the 3rd person =
37.gif

Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM
Very unfotunately, the Fram Xtended Guard filer now ALSO
has the "new" [censored] base plate !

They took a good thing and "FRAM'd" it.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

They took a good thing and "FRAM'd" it.

crackmeup2.gif

Good line ! LOL.....it IS unfortunate how the takeover by
Rand REEKS! The Xtended Guard was the best filter Fram HAD.
It's really a shame to see a good products components DE-SPEC'D. Have to wonder if they also didn't play the cheapening
game with the filtration material and quanitity of it.

Man I hope you`re joking :^( If that`s the case,my Xtended Guard is going back in trade for a Nissan OEM.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Originally Posted By: OilProfessor
The Professor steers clear of Fram.

Referring to yourself in the 3rd person =
37.gif

Did Bob Dole sign up as a member?
lol.gif

Looks like FRAM is trying to cut manufacturing and material costs with the new base plate design. Sure seems like it sticks out towards the engine more than normal ... could be hard to tell from the photos. Wonder if the threaded collar might bottom out on the mounting stud on the engine before the filter gets tight on some vehicles.
confused.gif

Nope ! Not joking. Just purchased one to be used for
an oil change....peeled off the plastic, opened the box
took out the filter and there is was....CR---Y BASE !
It's going back and I'll replace it with an Amsoil.

Wow, I thought someone was pulling our leg. For the orange can and even the Tough Guard, not really factor. Just made the orange can, the lowest common denominator, even lower. Is that even possible?

But, to mess with the solid Xtended Guard, and add that cheap designed mounting hole, is sad. Seems Rank Group intends to make all the oil filters fit their name..Rank.

As for the new 'Oil Professor', I think he's having a little fun with us. Reading his first post gave me a chuckle. Wondering if he is a Prof at and/or a graduate of, that institution? Perhaps even got his Ph.D there?
56.gif

Welcome Oil Prof.

Maybe you guys with all the great engineering expertise should call Subaru and Honda and Acura and tell them their OEM filters should not be made by Fram. Never had any problem on the subaru with the OEM (Fram made) Blue can and the only difference was a P-ring gasket and a higher bypass rating. Wix leaked. Purolator leaked. Another thing, since when is fiberglass "synthetic media"?! I guess since Conventional oil is now called synthetic in N.A. anything goes
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
Moronic Squared.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Maybe you guys with all the great engineering expertise should call Subaru and Honda and Acura and tell them their OEM filters should not be made by Fram. Never had any problem on the subaru with the OEM (Fram made) Blue can and the only difference was a P-ring gasket and a higher bypass rating. Wix leaked. Purolator leaked. Another thing, since when is fiberglass "synthetic media"?! I guess since Conventional oil is now called synthetic in N.A. anything goes
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
Moronic Squared.

So why is there a Tokyo Roki on your Subaru?

Originally Posted By: morris
my experience with fram is YES then know how make a good filter. BUT they dont for volume production .
Unfortunately it looks like Fram isn't making their own filters anymore. More business for Wix/NAPA, Purolator/Bosch, and Donaldson/Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
my experience with fram is YES then know how make a good filter. BUT they dont for volume production .
Unfortunately it looks like Fram isn't making their own filters anymore. More business for Wix/NAPA, Purolator/Bosch, and Donaldson/Amsoil.

Well the Rank Group also owns Champ labs who makes Supertech's, AC Delcos, STP..ect

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

Well the Rank Group also owns Champ labs who makes Supertech's, AC Delcos, STP..ect

And all of them are being morphed into ecore type filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back