No More Motorcraft FL1A's For me

This thread reinforces my "hoarding" arguments many folks "poo-poo" on but some do understand. When you find a quality product that's widely available and inexpensive that you know you'll be able to use, buy it cheap and stack it deep as they say.

Companies are constantly cheapening production, cost cutting, ending production, having supply chain problems, changing designs to save money etc... and the consumer is often the loser.

For the cars I service, when I see good prices/availability on high frequency replacement parts like oil filters, I buy several years worth generally at a savings ($20 off $100 purchases, etc.) for further discounts to offset the investment/storage premiums.

There’s a lot more than three-maybe 3 majors, but there’s a lot more worldwide. The problem is the US ones keep getting bought & cheapened up to make their new owners more $!

First Brands.

Mann & Hummel.

Those two make the majority of filters now. Denso has a minority position.

This thread reinforces my "hoarding" arguments many folks "poo-poo" on but some do understand. When you find a quality product that's widely available and inexpensive that you know you'll be able to use, buy it cheap and stack it deep as they say.

Companies are constantly cheapening production, cost cutting, ending production, having supply chain problems, changing designs to save money etc... and the consumer is often the loser.

For the cars I service, when I see good prices/availability on high frequency replacement parts like oil filters, I buy several years worth generally at a savings ($20 off $100 purchases, etc.) for further discounts to offset the investment/storage premiums.
Right-buy 'em cheap before the price goes up, & the quality goes in the toilet...

"...their stuff is popping up in more..."
how can one tell that if they all (of the 3 or 4 'make 'all' the oil filters') have
2 doz different vendor's paint on them. There's no way to know who of the 2
- 4 manafacturers the one in ur hand is made by. Once every coupla yrs I find
some1 who can cite them (a forum, vid or other) and I stick w/that (see OP) but
then "things Change".

"...their stuff is popping up in more..."
how can one tell that if they all (of the 3 or 4 'make 'all' the oil filters') have
2 doz different vendor's paint on them. There's no way to know who of the 2
- 4 manafacturers the one in ur hand is made by. Once every coupla yrs I find
some1 who can cite them (a forum, vid or other) and I stick w/that (see OP) but
then "things Change".
Premium Guard? Let’s see.. Rural King, STP (until they recently went back to Champ), Federated, some AZ Valucrafts, O’Reilly Microgard & Microgard Premium, and their own name. I’m sure there’s more, but that’s a fairly impressive list. At least in the USA I bet they’re outselling Toyo Roki, Denso, Purflux, and other smaller brands, and they seem pretty popular in the quick oil change places. If you know what to look for, construction, date codes, baseplate, even spring & bypass type, it’s not hard to figure out who’s making what.

need a chart to follow them.
If possible BEFORE that would B a rating then follow w/the names.

I just need a better/best, ADBV equiped, 1 qt holding, spin on. If I
hada nother model I might go to remote canister but this one is
good for "no spill". Off to the side, no need fora lift to drain the pan,
best of all worlds...

I noticed awhile back they had changed, I changed the oil last year on dad's 2006 Ford F150 w/ 4.6 and I use the cup filter wrench but they redesigned the end of the filter so I had to go buy another one that fit the new style. Sorry it's not the FL-1A but is a Motorcraft but the FL-820s filter... I'd like to know the moron who decided that it was ok to make that change.

PXL_20210921_203900060.jpg

Premium Guard? Let’s see.. Rural King, STP (until they recently went back to Champ), Federated, some AZ Valucrafts, O’Reilly Microgard & Microgard Premium, and their own name. I’m sure there’s more, but that’s a fairly impressive list. At least in the USA I bet they’re outselling Toyo Roki, Denso, Purflux, and other smaller brands, and they seem pretty popular in the quick oil change places. If you know what to look for, construction, date codes, baseplate, even spring & bypass type, it’s not hard to figure out who’s making what.
Microgard should be Wix...

... I'd like to know the moron who decided that it was ok to make that change....
da guy w/the weak hand? Needed more 'nibs' to grab? I just reciently (gettin old) stopped the 'hand tight' method on all I could reach. Never any leaks... I think da nxt move is to change my wheel remove/replace (esp p/u trucks/dumps)... It will B a decade B4 I return my drivers license (I hope)~
8^ 0

I noticed awhile back they had changed, I changed the oil last year on dad's 2006 Ford F150 w/ 4.6 and I use the cup filter wrench but they redesigned the end of the filter so I had to go buy another one that fit the new style. Sorry it's not the FL-1A but is a Motorcraft but the FL-820s filter... I'd like to know the moron who decided that it was ok to make that change.
Right, because filter canister design should be determined according to the toolbox contents of an individual consumer.

I'm fine with the changes to the FL-820-S because clearly I don't use the same filter tool you do.

Probably the same one(s) responsible for the media tears in the elements.

Probably the same one(s) responsible for the media tears in the elements.
Mann just needs to make the media a little thicker, the rest of the MC filter is fine. I just changed the FL820S on the MGM, around 3500 miles, and it did fine, other than a couple tiny cuts on the ADBV from the non-deburred baseplate, but it had the thinnest, flimsiest media of any filter I’ve cut open. Guess babying it with 5W20 full syn until it warms up is good for them.

Back