New appliances....

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
I have to get a new refrigerator as its 24 years old and dying a slow death.
I had a place one time that had power surges on a weekly basis, so I always put surge protectors
on my appliances. I'm getting a new dishwasher too, but it is built in, so I never did SPs on them.

Do modern refrigerators have any built-in protection and is a SP redundant?

Always use a new and good quality Surge Protector on your new appliances. Today's appliances are more sensitive than ever, due to micro-electronics.

Here in South Florida, on the very edge of the Everglades (yes my house directly backs up to the Everglades) we get lightning strikes aplenty. I've lost every appliance at least twice, and even the central air's "air handler" due to strikes. I now have 2 different style surge protectors in the circuit breaker box, and good quality units on the appliance plugs. Along with UPS's on my TV/entertainment and computers. Seems to have helped considerably.

Not too long ago, I installed a new GE dishwasher, Ka-Bam, and it did not ever work again. It was the only appliance in my house without a surge protector. That was a $700 mistake.

My homeowners insurance has a very high deductible, and losses would have to be North of $10K before I could expect coverage.

I do have a whole house SP too, but I always question them.
Years ago, our electric company provided them and a few years later came out and removed them all.
Seems they were ineffective...

Back