Gas generator vs power station

Why would anyone want to store at half charge? Doesn't seem to make much sense for an emergency backup to do that. I thought for backup the best thing to do is keep a backup power unit plugged in and let the charging circuitry do its thing. Maybe even use it occasionally just to "exercise the electrons".

I do remember shipping a used computer once that I was no longer using and wasn't sure how long it would take before it was used. Then I made sure it was around 50% state of charge.
Because storing a lithium battery at full charge degrades it faster.
Haven't you ever read any owners manual for anything that has lithium battery?

Which proves that any battery bank storage is not a primary solution when emergency power is required.

ICEs function anywhere, any time… why do you think the government and banks have diesel generators everywhere they deem critical? 😉

I get that when it’s a new device or something like a replacement battery waiting to be installed. Or if I plan on storing and not using it for months.

But that wouldn’t make sense for an emergency power backup that might be needed when power is unavailable unexpectedly. I don’t store my USB power banks at 50%. Even if I don’t use them, I typically charge them to full every month. I’ll gladly trade utility for a theoretical improvement in longevity that would limit the benefits when needed.

I get that when it’s a new device or something like a replacement battery waiting to be installed. Or if I plan on storing and not using it for months.

But that wouldn’t make sense for an emergency power backup that might be needed when power is unavailable unexpectedly. I don’t store my USB power banks at 50%. Even if I don’t use them, I typically charge them to full every month. I’ll gladly trade utility for a theoretical improvement in longevity that would limit the benefits when needed.
Well do you want I to be fully charged for a few years and brick when you need it or have it still be useable with a partial charge?
The answer is get generator.
My oldest generator is now about 45 years old.
UPS units I'm used to use cheap lead acid batteries that like to be stored at full charge and have the batteries replaced every 3 or 4 years.

Last edited:
Which proves that any battery bank storage is not a primary solution when emergency power is required.

ICEs function anywhere, any time… why do you think the government and banks have diesel generators everywhere they deem critical? 😉
Yes the battery is part of the emergency backup solution. Have a generator and battery backup. A battery backup that can run tiny loads when used with a generator can reduce generator run time 50% easy, a generator, battery bank and solar panels could reduce generator run time up to 90% or more potentially.
The military base I work on has diesel generators everywhere, and 0 battery banks as far as I know.

Yes the battery is part of the emergency backup solution. Have a generator and battery backup. A battery backup that can run tiny loads when used with a generator can reduce generator run time 50% easy, a generator, battery bank and solar panels could reduce generator run time up to 90% or more potentially.
The military base I work on has diesel generators everywhere, and 0 battery banks as far as I know.

If their electronic systems don't have some sort of battery backup, then they designed it poorly. I bought my first uninterruptible power supply over two decades ago.

Well do you want I to be fully charged for a few years and brick when you need it or have it still be useable with a partial charge?
The answer is get generator.
My oldest generator is now about 45 years old.
UPS units I'm used to use cheap lead acid batteries that like to be stored at full charge and have the batteries replaced every 3 or 4 years.

If that's all I've got, I want it to be near 100% of whatever the current capacity is, and then live with potential battery degradation. It's not a difficult choice.

It would be a tool. Does the tool serve me, or do I serve the tool?

Generators come with their own issues - most notably fuel storage and fuel degradation.

You could also consider running a 1000 watt inverter off your idling car battery. Neighbors usually don't object to running cars.
He would need welding cables to get 1000 watts at 12V. That is a cable capable of carrying 83 amps.

I would think most 12V systems use thinner cables at each (parallel wired) battery, and then get progressively thicker when going to the inverter.
Georg Ohm would disagree with you. The cables from the battery to the inverter would need to carry 83 Amps if you wanted 1000 Watts.
My off-grid system is 48V(which is what we are talking about), much less heat and risk of fire, also more efficient.
He could safely do 250W from a 12V battery though with reasonably sized wire for the connections that come on the inverters.

It’s hard to substitute a battery pack for a generator - pretty soon you are looking at $2500 and 60 pounds - and can barely keep a dorm fridge going for long … I have several gens (dual fuel etc) - but also have this small (500/1000/518) pack for odd things - ie, we had Yorkie puppies that weighed just ounces and need a digital heat pad for example …
Daughter can grab and go on that …
It‘s handy for outdoor use as well …

CarDoc66, no insult meant here to you but you totally messed up on your math and your understanding of the capacity. A 2048 kw-hr battery bank would take up an entire house and cost over one million dollars. Look at the specifications again. Do you mean 2,048 Watt hours. That is a more realistic figure.

If as skyactiv says one of these can run a 40 watt load for 17 hours then 40 Watts X 17hours = 680 Watthours.

2 would be 1360 Watthours.

So, how many Watts will everything you want to run draw? Take 1360 Watthours and devide that by the watt you will be running and that will tell you how long 2 of those would be able to supply power.

Apex 350 Amp alternator rated a 200 amps at idle and tested at 186 amps at idle) $400.00

Meanwell 2200 Watt inverter (4400 Watt peak) about $830.00 ( these are the reliable inverters that are not going to break in the middle of some power outage).

Vehicle larger battery upgrade about $100 to $200

Big 3 wiring upgrade with 0 gauge, 350 Amp fuse, 0 gauge wire to high current quick connect inside cab of vehicle to protect inverter, about $1000

100 ft. of 12 gauge outdoor rated extension cord about $100

Multi outlet extension cord, about $30

New serpentine belt because the high output alternator had a smaller pulley thereby requiring a shorter serpentine belt, about $38

ADD IT ALL UP, and that is how much my vehicle powered home inverter project cost and would cost someone else if they wanted one.

And don't forget you have to keep the vehicle gas tank pretty well filled if there's any threat of weather where you may need the vehicle to run for a very long time at idle to run your inverter.

Last edited:
Back