GE Profile fridge not cooling on Christmas morning

As title says, our Santa disabled our 11 year old fridge for a special Christmas Day. Had to wait until Wednesday for our appliance expert to come and confirm the Invertor board for the starting of the compressor was dead. He got the part ordered and installed 2 days later, $625 CAD for all told with taxes included. He tested all other components and all passed. Didn't want to replace the unit, it's a 36" wide counter depth unit, these are usually around $2200 in our area.

He said the reason was probably a power surge, he mentioned that other houses in my area had experienced the same thing in the last 3 weeks, all motherboards failing. So I ordered a Schneider Electric Power Surge unit from Amazon for $19.99 rated for 1080 joules. Other than a ice maker failure (fixed myself) this fridge has been good.

Time will tell.

A few years ago I wised up and put all of my normally unprotected appliances on protectors. Figured my $299 TV is plugged into one, what about my $2000 fridge,500 water softener, 1500 water heater and expensive gas range,washer,dryer et al.

I’d like to get one for my house, I’m just not sure how many I’d need or what brand to go with.

I had one on my old house that had 200 amp service. Fortunately I never needed it but I remember it being cheap.

Most surge protectors have a one to two year service life. The majority continue suppling power to the now unprotected device with no indication of failure. Sometime the protect light goes out but how many protectors are in a visible location?

I have one that's built into the battery backups for both of my desktops. (Which also have a limited service life). But in 70 years of living in 6 houses in 2 states, I've never had an appliance fry due to a power surge or lightning strike. I'm not saying it can't happen. It's just after so much time I tend not to worry about it.

I'm starting to feel much the same about generators. I have 3 of them now, partly due to the fact we have 3 freezers. But quite honestly they're becoming more of a PITA to maintain and keep running, than the risk of losing food over a prolonged outage.

The wife wanted them more than I did. The problem is her extent of maintaining them consists of, "Are the generators all OK"?

electronics are the first to DIE in "fancier" appliances, you prolly did good! girlfriends gently used 5 YO $700 whirlpool frontloader needed a $500 circuit board BUT less for a NEW SIMPLER machine!!! like cars the xtras cost more to buy + FIX $$$

Back