Never ever drank even one energy drink?

In Midtown Manhattan "they'd" send models (young, good looking gals) out to distribute 5-packs of cigarettes and sometimes coupons for various products.
The last time I saw such a promotion, two gals with cylindrical backpacks resembling Red Bull cans were giving full size samples away.

When I asked what the stuff was, the girls said, "It's an energy drink which tastes awful. Please take 2 so we can go home". I did and was repulsed by the entirely non-food flavor of the stuff. I dumped the open can and left the other on the lunch table.

Later at the same job-different location- a fool said Red Bull was the "new cocaign".

Since the dietary angle has been worked here I'll point out the evils of powerful marketing. "They", the same ones who distributed free cigarettes, sell stuff we don't need. Remember that every day.

I tried one when a grocery store had some promo giving them away. Don't remember the brand, was like funny tasting mountain dew, had some taurine and b-vitamins or something in it.

I have my 2 cups morning coffee but not much into pick me ups after that, may have an occasional ice (caffeinated) tea in summer, or coffee while fixing dinner but no soft drinks unless it is the only beverage available.

Last edited:
Following the death of Red Bull marketing billionaire/ tycoon Dietrich Mateschitz, who just died at age 78 and claimed to drink 10 red bulls per day, it made me wonder, how many BITOGERs have never once had an energy drink?

I am in my late 50's and have never once had an energy drink. There have been times over the past 30 years where I worked very long hours, with little rest before staring up again. But I never looked at an energy drink as a solution to fatigue. Maybe I am missing something? My wild speculation is energy drinks are just caffeine and sugar, and some hocus pocus stuff mixed in that may/ may not provide any benefits. But I could well be wrong. I see people drink energy drinks all the time.

For record- I can easily drink three plus pots of coffee in a day.
Coffee is the only energy drink I've consumed I've matured enough I now drink it black.

I'm also in my late 50s.

35 here. Worked in coal for 10 years, and in oilfield last 5. Both with pretty crazy hours/hitches. With that came quite a habit of relying on energy drinks. I think I've burnt myself out on caffeine, I can drink a bang or ghost and go to bed lol. They just raise heart rate anymore.
I drink about a pot of coffee a day and have a resting heart rate in the high 50s low 60s :)

I've never consumed an "energy drink", nor have I ever even tried recreational drugs of any sort. Sometimes I wonder if this explains the great differences in my behavior versus most of society.

Ohh yea I love them all sugar free ones only for me. This is cupcake stuff compared to Pre workout
Love the Bang BlueRazz
20221024_152604.jpg

GON, you and I are within a stones throw of each other in age. I have never had one either. In my college days when I was working second / swing shifts, I would drink coffee and tea, and eat chocolate. Dark chocolate especially had a waking affect on me with having the "later crash event" that coffee and tea might have.

Never. Same goes for any type of soft drink. Just a spring water I get delivered once a month (25 gallons).

It's interesting to read so many people who have never had an energy drink - myself included. I suspect this is sample bias, else Mr. Mateschitz would not be a billionaire.
I can't remember the last time I drank a soda either - at least 30 years ago. I never had a sweet tooth and sugar doesn't agree with me. I do like sparking water though.
I drink coffee in moderation, ever since I was a teenager. I drink about 2 cups daily but not after 11am or I won't sleep well.

The only energy drink that I consume is the 5 hour energy drink. I usually drink a half of a bottle and it really helps when I am dragging. I usually use one about one or two times a week. I also drink one large mug of coffee every morning. For me it is a beneficial supplement when I need it. I believe the taurine is what really helps. If I drink a cup of coffee instead of the energy drink, it has no effect on my energy level.

Only time I had caffeine power drinks or No Doz I would get terrible heart burn. So not a fan. I was drinking 48 oz of black coffee a day, until I learned it was a vaso-constrictor. Turns out the headache you get from caffeine withdrawal is your blood vessels expanding to normal dimensions. I was taking pills to dilate my vessels and getting the headache anyway. So after a 36 hr bug where I couldn't keep anything in, I switched to de-caffe and the headaches went away in a few days. Haven't relapsed once, not like nicotine. :cool:

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Back in my Coast Guard days the only energy drink was coffee, strong and black.

There were times we would be up 72 hours straight.

Anyone who served way back when will know.

Back