Neighbors garbage cans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not put my trash in another persons can. Maybe if I asked them first? But on the other hand, if a person was walking past my can and put a small wrapper or something into it to picked up some trash from the street and needed a place to put it...I would not care.

If they put small light stuff in a half empty can, I'd have no problem what-so-ever. Better than throwing it on the road.

If you've got dog poop or baby diapers, don't put them in my containers, even if there's room. Sometimes, all the stuff doesn't empty out, let alone it getting smeared into the container.

When walking the neigborhood and picking up rogue papers or booze bottles, I'll toss them into the closest neighbor's container. If they have a problem with that, next time I'll just leave them them where I found them, usually in the road adjacent to their property.

Picking trash up off the street or throwing a doggie doo bag in my trash can... I really don't care. Either way, you are keeping the neighborhood clean.

Anything beyond that, ask first. Period.

I'd ask first. If my neighbors asked me, I wouldn't mind if they did it once in a while. We have private collection in my town. My company does flat rate for the can plus two extra bags on the side.

I wouldn't care at all. If the garbage can is already out on the street, then I'm already done filling it. I have run out of room a couple times and put some in the neighbor's can late in the evening while it too was on the street, they hardly ever filled their can. They've knocked on my door before asking if they could use mine. We have separate cans for yard waste and he was trimming trees and bushes and needed more room. I didn't cut the grass that weekend so I didn't care.

I often take out my neighbors trash can when I take mine out to the street and bring theirs in when I bring mine in. Our trash cans are stored on the same property side, just across from each other.

You (or the neighbour) have to be OK with it. The way you find out is by asking. Anyone who would use someone else's trash can without asking will do other things, perhaps on your property, without asking. That's not OK.

It's not the trash can, it's the whole shebang. Show some respect for others and you get respect back, abuse your neighbours and you deserve abuse back. I don't understand why this is so difficult to grasp for some people.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
boc-alleys-900.jpg

This is a typical Chicago alley. The garbage cans never move from these positions. They don't have to be moved by the homeowner. Residents do not pay taxes based on their use or non use of the cans. It is lumped into property tax bill. Not paid per bag picked up like rural pickups.

I would HATE to live with an alleyway in back of my property.

I would expect them to ask my permission first. Especially since my dumpster is well onto my property and they would have to tresspass to put something in the dumpster.

I would mot have a problem as long as it was household trash,but I want to know who's on my lot.

I'm just thankful I live so far out in the sticks I have to haul my own trash. My dad, my grandpa, and I take turns about who hauls it for the week to the dump.

That being said, I wouldn't use anything of my neighbor's unless I asked first. However, from that pic, how can you tell who's is who's? Are the cans marked for each apartment?

I pay a flat rate to Waste Management for the month. If my stuff is not full as long as it is not a dead body, murder weapon...you get the idea,
I don't care.

Everyone on my street pays the same flat rate.

Why have the trash truck stop at every half full can? if more cans were full and less truck stops its just more efficient. Where are the whining carbon police on this notion?

I put small stuff in my neighbors can many times and my can stays parked. Its trash guys don't make a mess or be a slob and it shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
Knock on their door, and ask, and I'm certain they'll be fine with it (I would be). And if not - you'll avoid the start of conflict with your neighbors.

This^

Originally Posted By: fenixguy
I'm just thankful I live so far out in the sticks I have to haul my own trash. My dad, my grandpa, and I take turns about who hauls it for the week to the dump.
We used to do that. Unfortunately
the cost of tire repairs after going to the dump outweighed the cost of the dumpster in my yard...Let them deal with a ruined tire every time they go to the dump and not me.

Originally Posted By: fenixguy
However, from that pic, how can you tell who's is who's? Are the cans marked for each apartment?

No cans are ever marked or identifiable unless you count a rat/squirrel hole in a specific corner as ID
The cans are not on private property.
They are in the public alleyway.

They are located and oriented however the garbagemen leave them. Can be directly in front of garage doors or in between garages.

Where is the problem Unless a dead body is put into one, or the can weighs 500lb and the truck cant lift it.

link to Chicago alderman on garbage pickup

It's not like people are handwashing and waxing the inside of the cities' garbage can each week.

As long as the trash is picked up who cares?

Last edited:
I don't mind if the trash is not leaking and smelly. But if your can stays parked and you just dump your trash at your neighbor's bin, and they find out (eventually they will), they're not going to be happy about it. It's just human nature.

I'd ask, just because it seems so "this is fine because it looks okay, and if you get mad you must be a **** about nothing. You aren't even using the space, why are you so mad?"

A little respect is free and goes a long way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back