Need more power. Honda vs predator or Honda vs bigger Honda?

The Predator engines are Chinese copies of Honda, built under license by Lifan. The Predator 212 is the same as the GX200. If you buy a Predator, replace the Torch spark plug that comes with it with an NGK iridium :)
Do you have any experience with Predator and their quality in comparison to Honda? Is the Predator just as good as the Honda?

Sounds like heat range means nothing to torch.
That's just one of the ways they fail. Sometimes they open up internally, sometimes they'll short out internally or just have high resistance. This can cause hard starts cold, hard starting hot or no spark conditions. This is due to their poor QC and materials selection. Some will run fine until the machine that they are in goes to the scrap yard and some will give the owner grief starting at about the 2nd hour of operation.

I have a generator with a clone engine that came with one of those Chinese pos plugs and the first thing that I did was toss it in the trash bin in favor of a Denso (plus a spare on the shelf) - because I don't want to be chasing my tail when I NEED electricity.

That's just one of the ways they fail. Sometimes they open up internally, sometimes they'll short out internally or just have high resistance. This can cause hard starts cold, hard starting hot or no spark conditions. This is due to their poor QC and materials selection. Some will run fine until the machine that they are in goes to the scrap yard and some will give the owner grief starting at about the 2nd hour of operation.

I have a generator with a clone engine that came with one of those Chinese pos plugs and the first thing that I did was toss it in the trash bin in favor of a Denso (plus a spare on the shelf) - because I don't want to be chasing my tail when I NEED electricity.
I'll replace them sooner rather than later.

The Predator is good value, but not as good as the Honda, for which you pay a premium, but will deliver many uneventful hours of service. The Predator might, too. I have one of each, and would note that the Predator, much newer, is a challenge to start.

Kawasaki FC540 engines were single cylinder 17 horse motors, you can usually find those used for a reasonable price.

If you are in a power-out situation, dealing with inclement weather, you "NEED" electricity, that's the time you wish you had a Honda generator, which is still much more dependable than a Chinese clone, even one jury-rigged with a high-end plug!

Honda makes the best small engines. They charge a premium for it. Any other engine is a compromise. I pay the extra freight and just buy the Honda's anymore. I have spent too many hours of my life trying to get lawnmowers, generators, pressure washers ....etc to start and run. I would rather not spend any time repeatedly pulling a rope. I am funny that way.

If you are in a power-out situation, dealing with inclement weather, you "NEED" electricity, that's the time you wish you had a Honda generator, which is still much more dependable than a Chinese clone, even one jury-rigged with a high-end plug!
Tons of generators come with clone engines and are plenty reliable. Mine is a Firman, so not a premium unit but still a reasonable quality unit for a reasonable price tag.

That said, if my power is out, I don't have water - if my generator fails me, then worst case is that I have to check my pride and ask a favor from a friend.

Hahahahahaha no. Honda carbs corrode if you leave them sitting next to clean ethanol free stabilized fuel for more than 36 seconds.

Hahahahahaha no. Honda carbs corrode if you leave them sitting next to clean ethanol free stabilized fuel for more than 36 seconds.
I rely on various small Honda engines (GX, GC, GCV) to maintain my property and to generate power during outages. Most are over 10 years old and none of the carburetors have any noticeable corrosion. The old GX31 powered tiller sometimes sits for 2 years unused. I drain the old gas, replace it with new and it runs great. I'm sure E10 fuel would corrode any carburetor it is left in however.

I rely on various small Honda engines (GX, GC, GCV) to maintain my property and to generate power during outages. Most are over 10 years old and none of the carburetors have any noticeable corrosion. The old GX31 powered tiller sometimes sits for 2 years unused. I drain the old gas, replace it with new and it runs great. I'm sure E10 fuel would corrode any carburetor it is left in however.
Gotta agree. I have replaced a few Honda carbs, rebuilt a few. But this pales in comparison to Chonda engines

Back