NapaGold 1356 vs Honda A02 vs Honda A01 (cut open)

Status
Not open for further replies.
sayjac, when you reach my age, a warm and fuzzy feeling is the most important thing in your life. And you are correct, to each his own. One hopes he learns from life experiences.

Do any North American car makers sub out to Honeywell still?
AC Delco is Champ, Mopar and Motorcraft are Purolator AFAIK.
You would think with the perceived superior quality of Japanese imports that they would use something better then a rebranded OCD :)

Well, the Honda filter made my Honeywell is not exactly just a rebranded filter. The type of filter media is different and the ADBV is made of silicon. Plus, the mounting gasket is different. The filter is made by Honeywell to Honda specifications.

I'm not sure about this, but I think Honeywell also makes Subaru filters, but that might have changed.

Reviving an old thread...

I just came back from purchasing several A02 filters from the dealer. This filter is lighter than any filter that I have ever seen. In comparison to a Nissan size PureOne, an A02 filter feels like it weighs 1/2 as much.

Obviously, weight is no indication of filter performance, but I wonder why Honda deciding to spec a thinner can. The OP's comparison shows that these filters are more than adequately built for moderately long drains, but the thinness of the can is a bit disconcerting. For the $5.07/filter I paid, I think they are a decent value considering the silicone ADBV and the ability to eliminate any filter-related warranty concerns.

Quote:
....Obviously, weight is no indication of filter performance, but I wonder why Honda deciding to spec a thinner can. The OP's comparison shows that these filters are more than adequately built for moderately long drains, but the thinness of the can is a bit disconcerting. For the $5.07/filter I paid, I think they are a decent value considering the silicone ADBV and the ability to eliminate any filter-related warranty concerns.

Don't know about the Honda spec'ing a thinner can, my guess is that's just the thickness of the average Fram can. The P1 has texture which may tend to make it feel heavier. That said, I've never had an issue with can thickness in any PC usage with any oil filter, and the A-02 would be fine for Honda's recommended MM OCI.

$5.07 does seem reasonable for the Fram made A-02, however based on Amsoil's recent test of the A-02 showing it to be only ~67%@20um, there are better filters to be had for the same or less money. Fwiw, I've used the P1 PL14610 on my Honda 3.0L after allowing the dealer to do a few oc's when new. BD+ now.

Also, when it comes to using aftermarket oil filters like P1 and warranty concerns, especially for a Honda, that is at the bottom of the list. IMO, any aftermarket spec'ing a silicone adbv would be at least as good or better than the A-02.

I really like MANN Oil filters, when you take them apart then are very good metal end caps and the bypass is at the bottom but the its a nice brass looking. I use MANN or NAPA GOLD or Boesh Prem Filtech... OIL, I USE VALVOLINE MAX LIFE FULL SYN 5W30
2002 Honda Accord 3.0 V6 170K miles and purrs

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clarence_Iba
Mann are Purolator Classic clones, right?

I do not think so, I cut it open and the bypass is metal is a different color on the MANN.. Looks like brass color...

other then that looks simular to P Classic..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back