Nail Set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will a nail set work for a round head nail, or does that work only with a finishing nail? I need to drive a couple hundred 1x12 mm round head brass nails home until flush.

brass-wire-nails-250x250.gif

Starrett, I believe, makes a set of brass punches of varying radius heads. Been a while, but I think it was around $50 for 6 or 8 different punches in a pouch.

You'll damage the nail heads. I'd use a ball peen hammer. Place it over the nail then hit it with another hammer til sunk flush. Or something along those lines

Make your own radiused nail set tool. It's not that hard. If you can't find a suitable sacrificial punch or set, use an old round shaft screwdriver. Cut or grind off the Philips driver. Bring the tip radius down on a grinding wheel. Get a Dremel mounted stone and do a little grinding. You can adjust it for a perfect fit that you can't buy at the hardware store.

I want the concave tip so the tool doesn't slip off the nail head. I should be able to grind my own tool. i have small spherical milling bits.

Here is the tool I made by cutting the tip off a screwdriver and grinding a concavity into the new tip.

mjmwj9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back