Craftsman SAE & Metric nut driver set.

This set of nut drivers is listed as both SAE and Metric. They just converted the SAE size to Metric. So I call BS on the Metric claim.

If you want a Metric nut driver for a Metric bolt you might want a 7 mm but not a 7.9 mm. They do not provide a 7 mm, only a 7.9 mm.

It's probably fine as a SAE set of nutdrivers.

Screenshot_20240113-212817.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The packaging only states “Nut Driver Set”, and the sizes are shown. Its obviously SAE with metric conversion for each SAE size. They will work with many metric sizes.

Last edited:
The packaging only states “Nut Driver Set”, and the sizes are shown. Its obviously SAE with metric conversion for each SAE size. They will work with many metric sizes.
I think it's deceptive advertising. It does not come with one for 7 mm which is common. The listing on the Lowes website says SAE and Metric.

Maybe a little bit of clever advertising,Way back in the day,I purchased a SAE set that I use occasionally, added singles of 10,12 and 13mm.I'd rather use,in most cases a socket and my Koken handle that breaks and goes to a right handle to act like a breaker bar.I have a 1/4 and 3/8.Sometimes my old hands need help breaking some of the larger sizes loose

I don't know about everyone else but my set of nut drivers are the least used tools in my tool box. Nothing I usually work on is loose enough for them to be useful. I think the last time I used them was to tighten a few nuts on some furniture.,,

I've used nut drivers mostly on washer/dryer repair, occasional HVAC service.
I think that is where they get more use, in electrical stuff. Less torque needed, less likely to deal with corroded parts (maybe), smaller bolt sizes used. Sometimes the nut is on a long thread bolt and the hollow shank is nice.

I wouldn't mind a set sometimes. But yeah, bit limited on cars. But at least occasionally nice (10mm anyone?).

I've used nut drivers mostly on washer/dryer repair, occasional HVAC service.
^this
I don't think I've ever used a nut driver on a car but I use them whenever I work with appliances or other sheetmetal products. Way too easy to strip the threads with a ratchet, even a short one. I really only need a 1/4, 5/16, and very rarely a 3/8.

I think that is where they get more use, in electrical stuff. Less torque needed, less likely to deal with corroded parts (maybe), smaller bolt sizes used. Sometimes the nut is on a long thread bolt and the hollow shank is nice.

I wouldn't mind a set sometimes. But yeah, bit limited on cars. But at least occasionally nice (10mm anyone?).
I can't say I've ever needed a metric nut driver. I have 6 point and splined. The splined crescent handles can be switched into a t handle configuration.
IMG_20240114_110946207.jpg
IMG_20240114_111028981.jpg
IMG_20240114_111115924.jpg
IMG_20240114_111415494.jpg

I could see a stubby 10mm nut driver, some of the plastic panels on my cars are held in place 10’s. Have to get a 10mm wrench to change oil on two of my cars. Not a real problem, but might be nice. Just not enough use for me to spend money on though.

The only places I've used a nut driver (so far) are PC cabinet interiors; places where there's limited area for wrench and ratchet swing.

Come to think of it, the only nut drivers I have are in a computer tool kit.

I think it's deceptive advertising. It does not come with one for 7 mm which is common. The listing on the Lowes website says SAE and Metric.
Technically it covers SAE and Metric ranges (it's in black and white right on the package) just not very common or typical metric sizes.

I use metric nut drivers all the time.

I have the old school gray handled color ringed Craftsman variety, from the 1980's or so 6-12mm. The fraction inch versions are clear handles.

Those pictured above are just fraction" - the conversions are silly. Lowe's should clean up their act.

IMG_3611.jpeg

I have this in my tool kit at work. It isn't hollow like my Snap ons but it is pretty convenient. I only have it in fractional.

Back