allen keys/hex wrenches

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some good ones out there? I have two sets, a craftsman metric and the long HF ones. Both have worked good for my bicycle so far, but one day I know there will be a stubborn one and I don't want to have to learn to drill a bolt out.

btw, I feel I overpaid for the craftsman set, its a ball end 13pc from 1.5mm to 10mm, for $20, but I got a good deal on other tools I bought that day.

The Harbor Freight set was something like $3 and includes SAE and Metric.

Both sets I've used, after removing a bolt you can see wear on the wrench (or paint removed). Is Allen brand just as good or better? I almost grabbed them since they included SAE, but was missing like 7mm and 9mm but were almost half as inexpensive.

Bondhaus seems to be a decent set; all of mine have come from McMaster. Ball end sets (like your Craftsman) are always much more expensive than non-ball-end sets. Regular hex keys are just bent & tempered hex stock, addition of the ball end means they also have to forge them individually. The HF wrenches will work fine on most non-stuck bolts but don't have the strength or good finish the name-brand tools will.

Every set of hex keys I've used eventually dorks up the working end of the tool. But the brilliant part is you can just cut that end off with a grinder and you've got a brand new end ready to work. Obviously not with the ball end wrenches, but you get the idea. And never use a ball end key on a stuck bolt!

I would also say that Bondhus has some of the best allen wrenches on the market right now. They are USA made, tough and carry a good warranty. They are for sale on the net and retail stores (Northern Tools for one).

I would have also said Allen but they moved production to China and they are not the same.

If you need a socket bit set for hex and Torx, Snap-on would be my choice.

all of my hex work is in the range of 1.5 mm to 3 mm, on radio control cars. the set i have is lowes house brand, kobal? i have tearned that as soon as the wrench rounds just a little, go and re place it. i have a local tool house has wrenches one at a time. i have been told not use a grinder it strighten a rounded end, the heat treat will get changed. but in a pinch, i would be sure it doesnt get to hot.

I'm thinking of returning my Craftsman set for the Bondhus, but probably won't since none of the sets contain 7 and 9mm.

Are these NEVER used sizes or is Bondhus out of their mind?

http://www.amazon.com/Bondhus-17095-Ball...3519&sr=1-9

Ok, found a complete metric set from Amazon. $17 + 6 in shipping
Anyway, the complete set only comes in a brightguard finish. There are only limited reviews on it, but what do you think? This set seems to be cheaper than the others, so would this silver finish be inferior to the black that Craftsman, Husky and other products from Bonhaus come in?

Would the company put out something cheap to compete or not? They also have a 14ct gold plated set. I just want it not to rust out or round off heads but flash is ok if its good. I just want to buy it once and have it never break or damage any bolt heads.

Ok, one more thing fellas. What finish is preferred? i found all three from Amazon for about the same price. There is ProGuard (black), Goldguard and Brightguard(silver). Does it really matter in terms of quality or is it just pretty?

I'll go ahead and return the Craftsman tomorrow and get back about what I'll spend here so I should be good to go. Just waiting on yall's recommendation on the finish before I click order on Amazon.

Thanks

Last edited:
I got the black because 20yrs ago that's all they offered.
The quality of the steel is the same regardless of color.
Choose whatever looks best to you,i like the silver bright finish myself,easy to clean.The gold finish may hold up better in highly corrosive environments but not really needed for normal work,nice eye candy though LOL.

You wont be sorry you bought these no matter what finish you get,nice quality tools.

Guess I'll go for the gold then. It'll probably be an easy environment for them but I've only ever had a gold chain/necklace before.

I was reading reviews on Amazon and one poster said the gold key wouldn't fit the bolt. When I asked Bondhus customer service they said there was an issue some time ago, but has been resolved. Regardless, they said if there was any problem at all just to return them for free replacement.

Thanks guys, will put in the order now.

I have sets of the "Motion-Pro" swivel heads and standards ball-end sets. Since I haven't rounded any, I feel the quality is good. I go for these usually 1st. Don't see the swivel heads around often, I guess because of the additional cost.

I also have sets that drive off of ratchet or extension square drives, and those sets include Torx, star etc. Its like a socket drive but with bits on the working end.

Then I have Security Bit Sets with tins full of assorted bits. Most of the sets come with a driver handle, magnetic extensions etc. These usually come with Hex and an assortment or other drives. But I use the screwdriver bits the most out these sets, and probably the small sockets 2nd most, as nut drivers.

Also have a long T-Handle hex set I think are made by Stockton-Tool. The long shank sometimes make it feel like the drive end is rounding off, but usually its the length of the long shank itself twisting.

I have a couple hand held hammer impact drivers that accept security bits. I have used them mostly for motorcycle work. The Torx T-27 gets a good bit of work from the Harley side cases from other folks over tightening. But Hex bits can also be driven as well as an assortment of other security bits.

It's a bit late, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. I always liked the Eklind Uni-key. It's a fold-up set, inexpensive, but reasonably durable. You grab it, and you're sure to have the right one (size). I have them for Allen keys and Torx keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back