Proper size hex bits with small Allen ends?

JHZR2

Staff member
I need to replace a gasket on a diesel injection pump, and the only practical way to get the screws out is to loosen them with a 1/4” hex Allen bit in the right head size for the screw. Bits like this:

A2429C9D-C2E8-4054-A12F-E83822E2E3AD.jpeg

For a location like this:

ECB6C72F-9D3B-40CC-9303-17F55CB3E6FB.jpeg

I think it takes a 4mm Allen. A 4.5 or 5mm won’t fit. But a 4mm is loose. I appreciate how important it is to have a tight fit full depth of the Allen into the female end. So my 4mm is no good. I could crack a screw when I tried but one rounded out would be a major issue. It only takes one.

I tried a 5/32, and it fit better. This is a Bosch diesel pump. I doubt the OE screws are imperial. Keep in mind the only bits of this kind I have are from some multi bit sets that were gifted to me long ago.

And, 5/32 = 3.97mm. Yet it fits tighter.

I checked the measurements. The 5/32 is slightly bigger than the 4mm but not really so unless you are looking at tiny fractions of an inch on a dial caliper.

AE410D9A-FF2C-4C57-B1B4-5F78945A185F.jpeg
D2FCC261-6A5E-47C4-9B7D-6A6271B2D4C4.jpeg

Marginal differences.

So, who makes quality, proper fitting bits of this kind that I can count on?

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Marginal differences.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

have you tried putting a piece of tape on the end of the hex bit and tapping it into the fastener hole? I don't think you are going to find a tool that fits perfectly unless it is some proprietary tool of esoteric manufacture. By the photos it looks like you don't have alot of room to get in there, is it possible to remove the stuff in the way so you can get a straight shot at it and get a small impact driver in there and tap it with a hammer?

Cleaning the internal hex is the most important part of this. I agree that its unlikely that the screws are fractional.
A 4.5mm hex is a real possibility. You might try a good long arm hex key assortment that has a 4.5 and test the sizing after the cleaning.
Is there a chance you could confirm the size with a repair manual for that pump ?

My go to for something like this is my trusty Chapman set. Made in US and has never failed me. I've been using them for work and home for over 20 years:

Never heard of 4.5mm.
The small metric hex sizes are interesting: 0.70, 0.71, 0.89, 0,90, 1.00, 1.20, 1.27, 1.3, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0

I'd machine/file and sand a too-large hex bit so it will fit tightly or I'd use a ball hex that can be canted to sufficiently grab the hex bolt, then replace the bolt.

Last edited:
Cleaning the internal hex is the most important part of this. I agree that its unlikely that the screws are fractional.
A 4.5mm hex is a real possibility. You might try a good long arm hex key assortment that has a 4.5 and test the sizing after the cleaning.
Is there a chance you could confirm the size with a repair manual for that pump ?
I tried a 4.5 craftsman L type and it is definitely way too big.

I might try this

Or this

Their coated bits typically do not fit loose.

There is a Hazet 4mm with 1/4” drive that is coated, but you may not have enough room.

Sanding and filing on the 4.5 you have might be the option to get it done today.

I need to replace a gasket on a diesel injection pump, and the only practical way to get the screws out is to loosen them with a 1/4” hex Allen bit in the right head size for the screw. Bits like this:

View attachment 152247

For a location like this:

View attachment 152248

I think it takes a 4mm Allen. A 4.5 or 5mm won’t fit. But a 4mm is loose. I appreciate how important it is to have a tight fit full depth of the Allen into the female end. So my 4mm is no good. I could crack a screw when I tried but one rounded out would be a major issue. It only takes one.

I tried a 5/32, and it fit better. This is a Bosch diesel pump. I doubt the OE screws are imperial. Keep in mind the only bits of this kind I have are from some multi bit sets that were gifted to me long ago.

And, 5/32 = 3.97mm. Yet it fits tighter.

I checked the measurements. The 5/32 is slightly bigger than the 4mm but not really so unless you are looking at tiny fractions of an inch on a dial caliper.

View attachment 152252View attachment 152253

Marginal differences.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Try several different bits. Even within the same brand, they do vary slightly in size. A few years ago I had to open a printer that used Torx bits and I had trouble fining one that fit. I ended up carrying the printer into the local hardware store and trying out all of their Torx drivers until I found one that fit securely. I keep a lot of extra sockets, wrenches, etc in my tool box because you always find certain fasteners that are too large or too small to fit a one correct size tool but other tools will fit them.

Wera Hex-Plus bits?

My money is on a T20 = 3.97mm

Actually, with a little more looking and cleaning, I realized they were T30!!

So much for Allen dimensions being the issue.

Now I need to figure out how to get upward force into a t30, coming at it from the top, so I can crack these screws.

It’s for the lower cover of a Bosch injection pump, on the bottom of the IP.

A7B2309E-1E1D-4682-90D9-FC601F915ACA.jpeg

Now I need to figure out how to get upward force into a t30, coming at it from the top, so I can crack these screws.

View attachment 152335
T30 is 3/8" .375" 5.2mm Not even close to your initial posts.

Are we talking about about a different location of the fastener?

Or excessive crud, corruption, rust, grease, etc?
:unsure: :eek::rolleyes:

Last edited:

View attachment 152335
I sure looks like a hex in the picture but a torx will take it out if you can get on it. That is going to be a real bugger, the pump usually gets pulled for something in that area but that is something you do not reaally need to get into. How bad is the leak?

Back