SAE Wrench Sizes

I currently have a Tekton 15-pc SAE wrench set (1/4"-1") that is being gifted to my FIL to help build his toolbox.

I plan to purchase the WrightGrip 2.0 set. Their #911 set is the closest match to my current one - but it is missing the 1/4", 9/32", 5/16" and 11/32" sizes.

My SAE set is mostly used for various household plumbing applications and miscellaneous "garage hardware" - can't say I use this set very much for automotive purposes. Is there any reason to have those 4 sizes?

Last edited:
1/4" nuts are used on my HVAC air filter cover. I just use my ratcheting screwdriver without a bit on the end so it acts as a socket. If you have a metric set, 9/32" can be substituted with a 7mm and 5/16" with an 8mm. Can't say I've ever used an 11/32".

My SAE wrench. JK I have so little use for SAE I just use my old Craftsman set, it is not worth buying any better.

wrench.jpg

#8-32 machine hex nut takes an 11/32. Commonly found on old original GM starters on the "S" (solenoid) and "R" (resistor) posts. Unless you are working on cars like those in my signature it is rarely used, if at all, especially on new cars.

I think my well pump switch uses an 11/32" to adjust the pressure. I just took mine out of the kit and left it down there. ;)

Most of those have metric equivalents that work. Like 1/4 is 6mm, 5/16 is 8mm and 11/32 is 9mm. I personally have all of them and the equivalents and have used all on automotive applications and I may of used 9/32 on something at some point too but not in wrench size. I’d say as long as you have the metric equivalents you should be fine.

As mentioned the 1/4 adn 5/16 are common head sizes for metal screws and such - ie HVAC, etc.

The other two not likely.

Yeah I use 1/4 and 5/16 magnetic nut drivers all the time for sheetmetal screws.

11/32 not uncommon in things like electrical cabinet enclosures for 8-32 as mentioned.

I'm not so sure 6mm will substitute for 1/4? .236 and .250 ain't that close.

The only time I use those small sizes is on American dashboards, interior trim and maybe an odd alternator or starter. And side terminal batteries (5/16").

1/4 can be handy for screwdriver bits and some fasteners. Same for 5/16. Otherwise, dubious. Buy them when you need them… or find a wholesaler selling nos Armstrong or other wrenches on eBay…

You probably also have ratchets and nut drivers in some of these sizes….

Back