Flush nail cutting

JHZR2

Staff member
Roofing nails, not fingernails.

My one garage has purlins and cedar shakes as the decking. Original, probably should come off…. But not right now.

I’m trying to work on a few cracked rafters, and sister them up. But there are a number of nails that have come through the purlins and are in the way.

I don’t want to vibrate the roof and shingles and cause a leak, so I don’t really want an oscillating tool. I’d rather have something that even if slower can be a lot more gentle. Something like flush cut side cutters with enough leverage to cut roofing nails. Or a really sharp metal cutting blade with fine teeth and a perpendicular handle. Something like that.

59A8F3D8-C41E-4E2E-A253-09DF1E2B64C0.jpeg

I’m doing much of this on a high step of an 8’ ladder, so ease of use is most important, even if slow.

Any ideas?

I actually tried some fine tooth sawzall metal blades without much luck, and then found an old carpenters saw, kind of was like a japanese pull saw (which I may try too as it may be ideal), and it cut through the nails well.

I’m thinking maybe a small cutting wheel on a dremel extension or something like that? I just don’t want sparks and red hot heat up there by all that old cedar. But something like that may be best and easiest.

I have an m12 die grinder fwiw.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

no contest, something like this is best IMHO
Something like that possibly w/o the guard, using proper eye and face protection would work. I used an air tool version like that for garage walls to put shelves between wall studs where siding nails posed a problem.

no contest, something like this is best IMHO
Maybe just have a spray bottle of water handy, just so you don't need it. Neat old building though!
There must be a simple way to use the additional rafters as levers to straighten out the broken ones as you screw them together too.

I'm not insulting, but have you used an OMT? The vibration is minor.

I'm a bit confused you're willing to use a reciprocating saw -- which can be flat out violent -- but not an OMT which is gentle in comparison....?

Otherwise, I use my 3" M12 cut off tool regularly for this, but I'm building (disposable) shipping crates.

I suppose you could also cut them with *whatever* and sand flush if you have a belt file and use caution + patience.

Maybe just have a spray bottle of water handy, just so you don't need it. Neat old building though!
There must be a simple way to use the additional rafters as levers to straighten out the broken ones as you screw them together too.
That’s exactly what I’m going to do!

I'm not insulting, but have you used an OMT? The vibration is minor.

I'm a bit confused you're willing to use a reciprocating saw -- which can be flat out violent -- but not an OMT which is gentle in comparison....?

Otherwise, I use my 3" M12 cut off tool regularly for this, but I'm building (disposable) shipping crates.

I suppose you could also cut them with *whatever* and sand flush if you have a belt file and use caution + patience.
Yes, I’ve cut a lot of nails on another large (120x20’) building. It’s not that smooth or easy.

I’m not willing to use an electric reciprocating saw. A manual pull saw going slow, perhaps. Needs to be really flexible to bend to be flush with the surface.

The key is I don’t want to induce lots of vibration that may turn into roof leaks.

Back