My Home Depot Has No Gas Powered Lawn Equipment

I can't stand the fact these stores are only catering to this EV style of living. I'm not using a battery to care for a yard over an acre..not happening. Also not going to use a leaf blower with reduced performance so my task takes longer to perform.

If you want to live next to a Whole Foods and Starbucks and have to care for your 1/10th acre plot of land, that's fine...there are others with more needs.

I was considering buying a Milwaukee blower for small clean up jobs. My old Stihl blower would still be my go to for leaves each fall. A wouldn’t mind a battery powered string trimmer but I just bought a new gas powered trimmer and don’t use it that much. Electric units are nice for small jobs. Gas can’t be beat for heavy duty use.

They had plenty by me, but the stocks were dwindling by Sept when I ended up buying a JD and snapper. I’m sure the stocks are worse by now.

I can't stand the fact these stores are only catering to this EV style of living. I'm not using a battery to care for a yard over an acre..not happening. Also not going to use a leaf blower with reduced performance so my task takes longer to perform.

If you want to live next to a Whole Foods and Starbucks and have to care for your 1/10th acre plot of land, that's fine...there are others with more needs.
Yeah but if you need to actually mow an acre, why not go to a legit OPE store and get something real/better?

There are more of those stores in places that folks don’t live in walking distance of Starbucks and Whole Foods. Surely you want those businesses selling ope to succeed?

They had plenty by me, but the stocks were dwindling by Sept when I ended up buying a JD and snapper. I’m sure the stocks are worse by now.
The pro shop in town said they're going to keep selling equipment as long as the manufacturers are willing to ship their products. I stopped by there on Thursday and told them I was concerned about them. They said even if the manufacturers were to quit shipping, they have enough products in stock to last until 2025. I was surprised about what they said. I was assuming the authorities were going to swoop in and confiscate their inventory on 01/01/2024.

The pro shop in town said they're going to keep selling equipment as long as the manufacturers are willing to ship their products. I stopped by there on Thursday and told them I was concerned about them. They said even if the manufacturers were to quit shipping, they have enough products in stock to last until 2025. I was surprised about what they said. I was assuming the authorities were going to swoop in and confiscate their inventory on 01/01/2024.
Somehow I doubt the LAPD has time to stop in and make sure gas powered lawn mowers are not rolling out of the pro shops. The big box stores will comply for sure. I can’t seem to find anything from the net generated in 2024 on the topic except that the ban on selling them is only on equipment manufactured after Dec 31, 2023. There could be wharehouses full of mowers out there. I’m going to assume the gas powered Honda mowers are already gone.

Last edited:
There will always be used equipment for sale or you can just keep your old stuff going if there are parts available.
I’ve found one of the most common parts required are replacement carburetors from China. Unless you have a lot of excess time on your hands it beats rebuilding them.

Apparently the rules are applied to the stores, so theoretically no LEO is going to spend time checking to see if there is box containing a new mower in the back of your Subaru while coming home from Vegas.

Yeah but if you need to actually mow an acre, why not go to a legit OPE store and get something real/better?

There are more of those stores in places that folks don’t live in walking distance of Starbucks and Whole Foods. Surely you want those businesses selling ope to succeed?
I agree - support a small business, get out of the big box store. Around here, I used to go to Land & Coates, our local OPE dealer. Huge selection of equipment, friendly, knowledgeable folks.

As I have discussed, I’ve gone Makita 18v for my OPE, but I have a small yard, and Mrs. Astro does most of the work. The electric rechargeable equipment is wonderful, in my situation.

But Land & Coates was always great about new equipment, parts, service, and accessories. So, even though I’ve got all electric OPE, my chainsaw chaps, gloves, helmet, chains, tru-fuel, chain file, bar lube, etc. were all bought at Land & Coates.

I love that kind of store. A thriving small business. The landscapers buy their stuff there because they can get equipment, parts, and get it serviced all in one location. When I walk in there, I wish I still lived in Vermont, with six acres of old Maples, and had a need for more of their stuff…

They used to have a nice display of Echo gas saws, power blowers, hedge trimmers, weed trimmers, etc. No more. Now it's all battery. I didn't even see a gas powered mower.

They still sell 2 stroke oil, spark plugs, Tru-Fuel, and air filter elements... At least for the time being. Sad. :cry:
To quote RATM, “they don’t hafta burn the books, they just remove ‘em”…

Who knows,,, maybe the next administration will eliminate the EPA or we'll have an EMP from Iran and you won't be able to charge things. Don't worry about it cause we don't know the plans for the future and we never will. Hair brained ideas flourish in D.C.

Who knows,,, maybe the next administration will eliminate the EPA or we'll have an EMP from Iran and you won't be able to charge things. Don't worry about it cause we don't know the plans for the future and we never will. Hair brained ideas flourish in D.C.
LOL..How are you going to pump/transport the gas to fill your leaf blower?

I know Honda was saying they’re done soon making gas powered equipment. For me it depends on the equipment. I’ve had electric lawnmowers and I still prefer gas, especially now that I have a quality one. My weed trimmer and chainsaw are electric but my only concern would be the batteries, but they use the same as my drill so those get constantly rotated.

[Montgomery county, Maryland, gas-powered ban] This only applies to leaf blowers at the moment.
Gasoline-powered leaf blowers are a special case, and banning them doesn't bother me too much. They make a huge, annoying racket for what they do. People use them to blow leaves around to look busy when what usually needs to be done is to pick up the leaves and get rid of them. Alternatively, the leaves can be mulched in a yard using a mower.

Back