My Home Depot Has No Gas Powered Lawn Equipment

I just checked the stores around me (Pittsburgh) and they had Toro and Murray gas powered lawn mowers in stock, available for immediate pickup. I know California wants to outlaw gasoline powered lawn care equipment. Maybe Californians are driving over to Arizona and buying up all the gasoline powered equipment.
Just for fun I was checking out Google maps one day. As it turns out, central California is closer to Reno Nevada than Arizona. That border town in Nevada is going to get swamped by people from California wanting to buy lawn equipment.

"Welcome to California. Do you have any fruit or small gas engines to declare?"
I wouldn't be surprised if they start setting up road blocks and check points along the freeway from Nevada to California searching people's vehicles for gas powered lawn equipment.

The electric stuff is great for the box stores... they'll get to sell you stuff over and over again. Batteries don't last forever, the electric motors die after a few hundred hours, plastic gears strip out, etc.
I can attest to that. I have 13 year old Craftsman 19.2 volt string trimmer and hedge clipper and the batteries last at most six to seven years. I only recharge them maybe eight times a year. I have a plug in Craftsman electric lawn mover the same age and all I've done with it is have the blade sharpened once every three years. I'd never own a battery lawnmower because it's far cheaper to run the plug in mower over a battery powered unit. What does it cost me to mow my lawn a buck, a buck and a half at most in electricity? Corded lawn mowers run $200-$300, battery powered units $300 to over $800 and Gasoline mowers run between $270 and $500 for ninety five percent of them at Home Depot.

So these corporate overlords at Home Depot and Lowes think they'll tell people what they're going to buy?? Guess they missed the memo from the automakers who just had major financial losses due to the public not wanting an EV. See this is what happens when they do not listen to the consumer of what THEY want to buy.

Let HD and Lowe's try this.. Stihl will continue to make gas powered equipment, visit your local Stihl Dealer.. problem solved! I love how these corporations forget we live in America, where freedom to choose is the cornerstone of this country!

Unfortunately laws are already being passed in a certain state which prohibits gas lawn equipment in the near future. Other states will follow. Montgomery County in my state has already outlawed them. I can already smell the cleaner air.

Last edited:
After reading @billt460's post earlier today, I went to run errands, and while out I stopped by a Home Depot and Lowes to see what is on the shelf here in Northern Utah.

The Home Depot had about 6 Murray price leader gas mowers left, and all the rest of the mowers were battery. (Except for a bunch of push reel mowers.) All of the trimmers, blowers, chainsaws, and such were battery. Everything. As I was looking, a HD employee asked if I needed help. She said that she highly doubts that they will get any more gas mowers, for next season. I asked if the customers are happy with the selection. She said many are not, and leave empty handed and unhappy.

She also said that, except for the Murray mowers, the only other gas yard equipment that they still stock is snow blowers.

Lowes was a different story. They still had stock in three different gas mower models, so the mowers were similar to HD. But the diffrence is they still carry a lot of gas blowers, sting trimmers, chain saws and such. Probably about 40% of the aisle was still gas tools. But the displays for battery yard tools took up the other 60%, and was much more prominently displayed, with a lot more selection. The battery tools are the first ones you come to, when you enter the aisle, and the gas tools are to the back of the aisle.

The writing is on the wall, folks. If you are a die hard gas yard tool fan, you better stock up while you can. The end is in sight.

After reading @billt460's post earlier today, I went to run errands, and while out I stopped by a Home Depot and Lowes to see what is on the shelf here in Northern Utah.

The Home Depot had about 6 Murray price leader gas mowers left, and all the rest of the mowers were battery. (Except for a bunch of push reel mowers.) All of the trimmers, blowers, chainsaws, and such were battery. Everything. As I was looking, a HD employee asked if I needed help. She said that she highly doubts that they will get any more gas mowers, for next season. I asked if the customers are happy with the selection. She said many are not, and leave empty handed and unhappy.

She also said that, except for the Murray mowers, the only other gas yard equipment that they still stock is snow blowers.

Lowes was a different story. They still had stock in three different gas mower models, so the mowers were similar to HD. But the diffrence is they still carry a lot of gas blowers, sting trimmers, chain saws and such. Probably about 40% of the aisle was still gas tools. But the displays for battery yard tools took up the other 60%, and was much more prominently displayed, with a lot more selection. The battery tools are the first ones you come to, when you enter the aisle, and the gas tools are to the back of the aisle.

The writing is on the wall, folks. If you are a die hard gas yard tool fan, you better stock up while you can. The end is in sight.
I'm concerned about the private professional mower shops that cater to professional lawn care operators.

And the LCO's know they can't make a living with battery powered equipment.

It doesn't take much to keep a gas mower alive for decades if you're handy like us. Used ones will still be able to be found for a very long time as well. Most of us will be dead long before a piece of gas powered equipment becomes completely unattainable. The average consumer, however probably doesn't care what powers their lawnmower.

If you're talking about voters, we're not supposed to talk about that here.
"they" is not voters. I can guarantee you that. And you're right, we're not supposed to talk about "they," that's why we call them "they."

Last edited:
They used to have a nice display of Echo gas saws, power blowers, hedge trimmers, weed trimmers, etc. No more. Now it's all battery. I didn't even see a gas powered mower.

They still sell 2 stroke oil, spark plugs, Tru-Fuel, and air filter elements... At least for the time being. Sad. :cry:

Gonna miss those days of inhaling unburnt oil and gas?

Back