My Home Depot Has No Gas Powered Lawn Equipment

So these corporate overlords at Home Depot and Lowes think they'll tell people what they're going to buy?? Guess they missed the memo from the automakers who just had major financial losses due to the public not wanting an EV. See this is what happens when they do not listen to the consumer of what THEY want to buy.

Let HD and Lowe's try this.. Stihl will continue to make gas powered equipment, visit your local Stihl Dealer.. problem solved! I love how these corporations forget we live in America, where freedom to choose is the cornerstone of this country!
Calm down and have a Bud Light - they are on Black Friday sale
😷

Can't say I'd consider most of the ****ty junk OPE at Homeless Depot or Lowes anyhow.
I bought all my equipment from a professional lawn care supply. I could have purchase the equipment from Ace Hardware since they're an authorized STIHL distributor, but my conscience is much more clearer after purchasing from a small non-corporate business.

I bought all my equipment from a professional lawn care supply. I could have purchase the equipment from Ace Hardware since they're an authorized STIHL distributor, but my conscience is much more clearer after purchasing from a small non-corporate business.
I bought my echo commercial trimmer , blower and chainsaw, through a echo dealer, not big box. IF you have a warranty issue the big box stores can be tough to deal with. The professional echo service centers don't always want to work on the HD warranty units.

I bought my echo commercial trimmer , blower and chainsaw, through a echo dealer, not big box. IF you have a warranty issue the big box stores can be tough to deal with. The professional echo service centers don't always want to work on the HD warranty units.
When I worked at a big box store, customers would always return their Echo string trimmers for not starting or not staying running.

Professional equipment distributors always check the air/fuel mixture before putting the equipment out on the floor for sale.

Myself, I buy my equipment still in the box because I know how to set my own air/fuel mixture.

It doesn't take much to keep a gas mower alive for decades if you're handy like us. Used ones will still be able to be found for a very long time as well. Most of us will be dead long before a piece of gas powered equipment becomes completely unattainable. The average consumer, however probably doesn't care what powers their lawnmower.
I got a year old Snow Blower for $165 because the owner left gas in it over the summer. Drained out the old gas and cleaned the carburetor, she ran as good as new. Lowes was selling the same unit for $499.

I wonder how expensive it would be if they scaled EFI down to walk behind small engines and put on a small catalyst. I'd be a fan of it even if it is more expensive, but I think part of it is that engine manufacturers already offer efi on some of their larger engines and charge an extreme premium for it and they don't like the idea of bringing it down to lower tiers because then if becomes the norm and not an expensive upsell, although if they have to do it at scale the manufacturing price would probably come down a lot.

Reactions: D60
I have buzzed through 8 cedar trees with a dewalt 20v chainsaw with lots to go. Not looking back.

Reactions: D60
I have buzzed through 8 cedar trees with a dewalt 20v chainsaw with lots to go. Not looking back.
I just finished cutting my wood for the year. The shop is exclusively wood and for the house I try to use wood as much as possible to conserve LP.

It was all with my M18 saw and it works great for me but it's still like a toy compared to quality gas stuff. Plus our forest is smaller trees. Trying to take even a 16" tree is pretty slow and drains batteries fairly quickly. Simply not practical for lots of larger trees. Most of ours are 12" and under.

I can attest to that. I have 13 year old Craftsman 19.2 volt string trimmer and hedge clipper and the batteries last at most six to seven years. I only recharge them maybe eight times a year. I have a plug in Craftsman electric lawn mover the same age and all I've done with it is have the blade sharpened once every three years. I'd never own a battery lawnmower because it's far cheaper to run the plug in mower over a battery powered unit. What does it cost me to mow my lawn a buck, a buck and a half at most in electricity? Corded lawn mowers run $200-$300, battery powered units $300 to over $800 and Gasoline mowers run between $270 and $500 for ninety five percent of them at Home Depot.
19.2 volt string trimmer? I don’t think that was a lithium ion battery, was it? Generally the discussions on battery electric mowers are centered around lithium ion batteries and not the old nicad or even the nickel metal hydride. As for plug in mowers, well, that’s nice.

I wonder how expensive it would be if they scaled EFI down to walk behind small engines and put on a small catalyst. I'd be a fan of it even if it is more expensive, but I think part of it is that engine manufacturers already offer efi on some of their larger engines and charge an extreme premium for it and they don't like the idea of bringing it down to lower tiers because then if becomes the norm and not an expensive upsell, although if they have to do it at scale the manufacturing price would probably come down a lot.
Lot of small engines outfits have EFI options.
I have a 25hp Kohler that is EFI as well as a chainsaw.

But $$$. That chainsaw was $1800 for example (ms500i)

A box store is likely pushing electric no doubt. This isn’t the correct season to shop for mowers, but even when it was, a gasser push mower was few and far between.

Try a local small business OPE place. They might have left over inventory too.

Montgomery County MD is actually banning gas powered lawn equipment. Not just the sale, but the use as well.

This only applies to leaf blowers at the moment.

I imagine Fredrick county will be next. Hopefully it won't happen in Washington county as there's many mower shops that I occasionally use there.

Ironically I live in Montgomery Township here in PA. It's too darn rural to bad gas OPE...

Battery powered was all mine had back in July. It doesn't appear to be a "leftovers" issue... at least at my local store.
Sure is. The big stores are not going to reorder in July and get stuck with excess inventory going into fall. Summer ODPE is ordered when the snow is still flying, at the time they are trying to get rid of snow throwers in stock. Most mowers are sold in the spring when the old mowers people own fail to start after sitting all winter.

Back