Two Stroke How To

I want to start mixing my own 2 stroke gas but want to ask how you all do it?

What container to store it in, what pump gas, and what oil, and how much oil?

I have some lawn and garden tools like an Echo blower, Stihl 2 stroke weed eater, an old hand-held home lite blower, a small Echo chainsaw…

These were my father’s tools, so I have no manuals. Do they all take the same gas or can they?

I have some lawn and garden tools like an Echo blower, Stihl 2 stroke weed eater, an old hand-held home lite blower, a small Echo chainsaw…

These were my father’s tools, so I have no manuals. Do they all take the same gas or can they?
If you have an option to get non-ethanol fuel, you'll thank yourself later as the ethanol eats up the primers bulbs and AL carbs.
Buy some VP 2 cycle oil at Walmart etc. Mix it 40:1 and you'll be fine for everything 2 stroke.
I use a 2 gallon gas can. I go to a boat marina or small equipment dealer once a year and buy 5 gallons of non ethanol fuel, store it in a metal can but that wouldn't be required.
I'm just a homeowner but I also have all Stihl equipment, with the exception of an Echo telescoping pole saw. I use that 40:1 mix for all of it. The VP oil container has a chart on the back to tell you how many ounces of oil to put into X number of gallons of gas to achieve the desired mix ratio.
If you can't find non ethanol fuel, then I would use pump 93 and mix the same 40:1 ratio.

Choose just about any quality 2 stroke with an FD or EG-D specification (the same) . Mix accurately at 4 ounces per gallon of non-Ethanol gas. Nothing else is needed. No Sta-Bil, no octane booster, no ethanol fuel treatment.

The 32 to 1 fuel/oil mix is nearly ideal for engine protection.

Be aware that engines can run at any oil ratio from 100 to 1, all the way to 8 to 1, with 8 to 1 producing the most HP, and often the least carbon. Rather counter intuitive. But one thing is clear, in our testing, wear increased as we reduced the oil content above 32 to 1.

It is also good to note that the higher the RPM used, the more oil the engine will require. This is due to the nature of how quickly the oil migrates inside the crankcase, and is generally independent of engine size. A 14,000 RPM chainsaw or 125cc racing shifter kart should never be operated at 50 to 1 if you want maximum lifespan.

Also, most OPE (outdoor power equipment) operates at no more than 8-9000 RPM. With the exception of certain hot-rod chainsaws like the Husqvarna 345xp, as it goes to 14K RPM.

Last edited:

My Stihl fs38 is fairly picky on the ratio. It states 50:1 so that's what I mix. I'd 100% go premium 91 plus octane. You probably won't use much overva summer of trimming to notice the price difference. My past two gas trimmers idled smoother and had better throttle response as these are air cooled. I personally buy a gallon or two of avgas and mix using that.

I've always done 32:1 using a quality oil and have never had any problems.
I've also never had any problems with E10 in anything OPE and we've had that as the standard option here for decades.

some higher compression 2 smokes recommend higher octane non ethanol + beware some canned " non ethanol" fuels CHEAT as tested by chickanic.com a small engine repair pro

FWIW I recommend the small single use bottles. I used the Stihl silver bottles and add 0.8 gallons on non ethanol 91 octane. Works good.

Just my $0.02

I use 3 oz of oil per Gallon of gas which is 40:1. I can only get e10 here though. I only use torco gp-7 oil for my stuff. The stuff at my work I use Lucas as it's an fd rated oil.

The Stihl 50:1 used in all the 2 stroke engines of 3 different makes has been fine for as long as it has been available. I use mid grade fuel with Stabil really does work. Also have a gallon of Yamalube that I used to use before the Stihl oil at 42:1.

Use a fuel can thats unlike others you have. Otherwise, you could end up refueling with straight gas. I have several 2 cycle engines i run them 40:1. I use amsoil but also trying echo red armor. My 2 cycle ope is expensive, i won't run cheap oil, or less oil than 40:1.

Store fuel away from any ignition source. Not in an attached garage, unless you use a type 1 or 2 safety can like justrite. I use non ethanol.

But you could use e-10 as long as you use it and it doesn't sit in the equipment. Switch it over to non ethanol for seasonal storage.

I keep my chainsaws full and ready to go. Less air in the fuel tank to carry moisture.

The Stihl 50:1 used in all the 2 stroke engines of 3 different makes has been fine for as long as it has been available. I use mid grade fuel with Stabil really does work. Also have a gallon of Yamalube that I used to use before the Stihl oil at 42:1.
The Stihl oil we have at work says that it biodegraded after 21 or so days. I read that as it's no longer an oil and will burn up your stuff if not used immediately.

3.2 oz of quality synth. oil per a gallon of gas is a 40:1 mix. I use fuel stabilizer in all my OPE fuel cans when I refill them, so it stays fresh and the equipment always has stabilized fuel in them so no need to remember to put it in.
Even my 50:1 get run on 40:1. with no issues. I would not go more on the oil, it leans out the gas content of the mix and gas cools the piston not the oil. Lean is mean in a 2 stroke. Unless your carbs are adjustable, and you know how to set them play safe.
I have been using a clear plastic gallon jug for decades for 2 stroke gas. My saw and other OPE mixed fuel usage doesn't need a bigger can anymore.
I always have at least 10 gallons of E0 on hand for the generator and mower anyway.
Can't get E0 then use the canned fuels that are E0. Stabilized fuel is your friend.

We can't even get E0 in California. I just mix and run it . Maybe since we have a 12 month growing season the gas never goes bad. I use Maxima Super M since that's what I run in my bike and jet ski.

Get a 1 or 2 gallon gasoline jug & write "Mix" on it. That's what I do on 1 of my 2 gal gas containers.

I add my oil to the gas can first then use the gas pump to measure out the gas. The graduations on the side of some gas cans are not accurate enough for mixing fuel especially not in a plastic can that can swell and hold more fuel than what it actually says.

If you want a good gas can get an eagle metal safety can. They are much better than the plastic cans we have now with the silly safety spouts.

Back