My Ford let me down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We took off for a meeting at church, and right after we started driving, it started missing and running at an unregular rhythem.

We turned around, because it was not safe
frown.gif

Note that it has never missed, or ran bad ever.

It is a 1993 F-150 with the 8cyl 302, only 80,000 MI.
mad.gif

This really upsets me, because I was attached to that truck.
I gess everything has to blow up sometimes...
frown.gif
57.gif

I wish my username wasen't fordboy, If i could chang it , it would be Honda~ n~ Toyota.

Sorry to hear that, but it's a 16 year old truck. If this is the first time it's let you down, I'd definitely be keeping the fordboy username. Low mileage or not, thats a long run, and most likely a little TLC is all thats needed.

It has new plugs/wires. Also put a new main belt on it, along with a new starter in it all less that 2 years ago.

What do you think is wrong/what should I do?

They make these things called spark plugs.You may need to replace them. Only kidding. What's causing the miss? Did the engine blow up? We need details.

Is it rusted out? Can we see pics of it? If the body is in good to excellent shape I would fix it! Even at $2K it's cheaper than a new car and you know the history of it!

ok, to tig1 if you cant read above you, im sorry (i put in new plugs&wires)

There is NO rust.
I dont know why its missing.
No, the engine will run, just half-butted.

Distributor or DIS ignition? Could be distributor or coil problems. Did you just fill up, could be bad gas, water in gas, timing chain/belt skipped, fuel pump dying, any number of things. Check or get checked out ignition, timing, fuel delivery and compression. It's one of those, start with the basics.

EGR Valve might need a cleaning or maybe because of all the rain lately a voltage leak? Can you see any arcing around the wires (at night)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fordboy
ok, to tig1 if you cant read above you, im sorry (i put in new plugs&wires)

There is NO rust.
I dont know why its missing.
No, the engine will run, just half-butted.

Sorry about the double post. Your's wasn't there when I posted. At any rate I'll bet you problems will be easy to fix. Maybe a fuel pump is getting bad if the engine is running poorly.

Originally Posted By: pidster
Distributor or DIS ignition? Could be distributor or coil problems. Did you just fill up, could be bad gas, water in gas, timing chain/belt skipped, fuel pump dying, any number of things. Check or get checked out ignition, timing, fuel delivery and compression. It's one of those, start with the basics.

+1

It could be something minor...You panic way 2 easy.

Could this be a problem with the TFI-IV ignition module? My only experience with a TFI-IV problem is that the module just outright failed, but I thought I read somewhere that they could cause poor running before they fail entirely.

Oh yes--Honda had their problems with ignition modules too.

You might want to run an EEC-IV self test on it. That can be accomplished with a jumper wire and a test light.

Incidentally, my 1988 Mustang GT has 191,800 miles on it. Your truck is barely broken in.

I don't know if that year has SEFI or Bank injection. If it is SEFI you can do a KOER power balance test to find the missing cylinder(s),

Heck, troubleshoot it, fix it (I would bet ignition or fuel/fuel delivery) and keep going. This truck has given you some good years and with a little care you can get many more.

Don't waste your money. I'll be down your way and will take it off of your hands for salvage.
grin2.gif

Really, a little tweak here and there will isolate where the issue is. The EGR would be a good place to start. That can screw up a perfectly functional engine. Apply vacuum ..

Naturally it could be a few other things ..you can hit the usual suspects.

Forgive me if you've covered this, but does this engine carry one full time, or just going down the road?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back