My Acura Let Me Down

CRV starters go out long before the alternator. Not a fun replacement but if your good working blind you can replace it from the bottom in an hour or 2. My 02 died at work. At lunch it cranked its last time like the battery was dying. It tried to tell me to go home early but I didn't and had to get the tow of shame from the work parking lot.
I'll take a look at this idea, I have been told the intake needs to come out.

Thanks for this idea!

My 06 Accord 4 cylinder starter replaced around 121k with give me weeks of weird noise/crank and one day done-not fun to replaced.

Actually troubleshooting isn’t really hard, disconnect the solenoid at the starter, put a load, test light,in line and ground it. Attempting a start checks all relays and safety switches. The screwdriver trick is not a good idea on this starter like it is on old American car starters.
I really appreciate all the kind and helpful words. I’ll post with rebuild results.
Smoky

Well a bearing, two contacts, and contact plunger later and lots of cleaning and lubrication later the starter works fine and the engine starts. The mechanic’s back requires some ice packs and a couple days off. It seems I can’t spend hours bending over a fender like a could in my mis-spent youth.
Thanks for all your comments
Smoky

I like the "rebuild" ideaer. R&R usta mean remove/rebuild - now, remove/replace
Trouble is we finda lotta crap components'n shoulda rebuilt. New part goes in? broke in short order.
OEM usually beddah !
For me? durability is Priority One. (even tho Smoke's got 12 yrs on me). U Go Man !!!

Good luck with the rebuild, I tried rebuilding a Acura power steering pump and failed, If the starter removal and installation is similar to my 2004 Acura MDX it’s not that bad of a job.

Back