My engine is ticking now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend of mine runs QSGB 10W40 in his 300ZX twin turbo and drives it HARD,borderline abusive imo,and his engine is absolutely silent. Does WM carry it in 20W50?

I would look over for a leaking exhaust manifold, but it's certainly possible you have a sticky lifter on your hands. The easiest way I've found to look for exhaust leaks that are hard to find is use some seafoam. Pull off a vacuum line and slowly let the engine ingest some seafoam. It'll produce copious amounts of smoke, making it easy to find even a pinhole leak. If that produces no leaks, then throw half a can of seafoam in the oil, let it idle for about 20-30 minutes and see if that helps. Seafoam for me has a nearly 100% success at quieting down noisy GM lifters.

well the ticking sound almost went away. Now its LOUDER! I really dont know what it is. Thinking about trying different oils. I thought about using some of my stash of JD Plus50II 15W40. Would that clean anything out? Than I thought about using VWB because i heard that quiets it down. its so anoying!

K. Drain the oil if it has any additives in it and start off fresh.
Pyb tends to help noisy engines and its warm enough now that you can use a 10w-30. That should help the noise. If it doesn't go to napa and buy some MOS2 made by a company called lubro-moly/liqui-moly. It will quiet down your engine and help mileage a bit too.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
From the PQIA testing, I've noticed that all of the C-P lineup uses high Boron. In the most recent synthetic testing, the Mobil Super Syn and the Formula Shell were standouts. The ST Synthetic also has a good amount.

Is C-P Castrol/Pennzoil?

ConocoPhillips

Castrol is British petroleum and pennzoil/Quaker state/shell is SOPUS

Sopus would be Dutch Royal Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back