My 0w20 Experiment is suddenly finished

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
I think you hit the panic button early and should have continued the "experiment" to the end.

I think removing the 0w20 was the right approach.
Perfect reason was the filter, which turned out to be an innocent bystander here. Most times the ADBV is to blame with the sounds I heard. In this instance, it was not.

When the 2nd loud clatter occurred three hours later than the first, that told me it was the oil. When everything returned to normal with the new 5w30 oil, that also told me it was the 0w20, which may have been contaminated. I kept the old filter on and the ADBV is functioning correctly...... quiet on cold startups and it retained oil when I drained the filter of the 0w20, prior to filter re-installation of it and the filter sits vertically BTW, not sideways. So that made my case more convincing to just change the oil.

This is not a knock on 0w20 oils. I like all the name-brand full synthetic 0w20s. But my thought-train that NAPA produced the best house brand oil..... well, that took a hit with me now. Warren Distribution and Amalie have taken over my top-2 store brand spots there. I only need one incident, to not trust NAPA oils again.
This was that one incident and gasoline in the oil may have been the culprit here.

NAPA oil may still be real good. I just cannot trust it anymore. I cannot trust Castrol GTX anymore either. Too many OCIs filled with varnish.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I think removing the 0w20 was the right approach.
Perfect reason was the filter, which turned out to be an innocent bystander here. Most times the ADBV is to blame with the sounds I heard. In this instance, it was not.

I completely agree. My cars in the past that had variable viscosity charts (according to ambient temps and operating speeds) always recommended to go up in viscosity, but always had addendums warning to not go down in viscosity. You're like me Triple_Se7en,I would've totally freaked if I'd heard noise coming from my engine.

I normally store my performance cars for the winter, never starting the engine until the spring - so that's at least 6 months of not being run. The only time I've ever heard that much clatter/chatter was on my GM LNF 2.0 GTDI, and it sounded very loud and bad. I've never heard it do that again, and that was almost 10 years ago. My 2007 Mustang GT did that one time as well but never again afterwards.

My Colorado engine was built for 5w30. I had six quarts of six year-old NAPA 0w20 hidden under the steps of the basement and when we changed flooring, I uncovered that box.

So I tried it in the Colorado as an experiment. After 1k in accumulted miles, my computer in the 3.5 engine went haywire and needed a replacement. It took five weeks to get the new computer from Florida, over 1300 miles away. Shipping and storage during COVID was to blame for the long delay.

I was at the mechanic's business garage when the new computer was downloaded and installed. Now was the time to start the engine after 5-1/2 weeks of shutdown. Upon startup, the loudest clatter erupted from the engine, similar to an engine without oil. Lasted almost five seconds. Some tweaking was done to the computer readings and truck was placed outdoors.

Wife arrived with the checkbook three hours later to pay the bill. I started the engine again and another five seconds of loud clatter occurred. So my question here is oil film strength. Is it possible to rate today's 0w20 SN Plus (soon SP) oils on film strength? Would I be wrong in saying NAPA 0w20 Synthetic has lousy film strength? That Colorado 3.5 engine is not of the old-school flat-tappet design, that it's predecessor 1999 Chevy S10 with 4.3 engine had? The 3.5 is more of a reflection of today's engine designs.

BTW..... my cold engine starts have returned to normal, just by removing the 0w20 - removing the almost new oil filter - letting the filter drain empty and reinstalling it - plus installing new oil ....Pennzoil Gold Synthetic Blend 5w30.

Have we ever discussed film strength before - here at BITOG? Wouldn't film strength tests like what I uncovered, be a good indicator on how well some of these thin 0w20s protect our engine, over the course of a long-term shutdown of 5-1/2 weeks?

Or should we expect the same engine clatter, from all 0w20 synthetic oils, after a long-term shutdown?

Sounds like it lost prime. Given the long term storage I would have pushed the pedal to the floor (to engage fuel cut) and cranked until I had oil pressure then released the pedal to start.

Last edited:
Now you should do a total u-turn and rock some 20W50!!
19.gif

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
19.gif

It would have to be some of that Irish Green Kendall 20w50.

I filled a Wix Oil Analysis sample bottle with the NAPA Syn 0w20. Being six years old and SN, I doubt I'll pay to have it analyzed.
I have another filled with Total Quartz Semi-Syn 5w20 from December. It was the free oil change from the Kia dealer and went 3K OCI.

That one I might send-in. Just not sure how long those samples can be held back and contents remain in-tact.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
19.gif

It would have to be some of that Irish Green Kendall 20w50.

I filled a Wix Oil Analysis sample bottle with the NAPA Syn 0w20. Being six years old and SN, I doubt I'll pay to have it analyzed.
I have another filled with Total Quartz Semi-Syn 5w20 from December. It was the free oil change from the Kia dealer and went 3K OCI.

That one I might send-in. Just not sure how long those samples can be held back and contents remain in-tact.

As long as they're good n sealed you're probably good to go!
thumbsup2.gif

Back