My Camry met its fate on Friday nite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Originally Posted By: eljefino
You can get in trouble if a licensed driver *in your household* is not on your insurance.

What trouble is that? Here in NY I've had 2 insurance companies require a completed form with childrens birthdates but there is no penalty of perjury or punishment by law. I'd assume if they could prove you defrauded them the most they could do is determine a portion of coverage is void.

On my policy with my company (yours could be different) I am REQUIRED to list all licensed drivers in my household. The penalty is they won't pay a claim for an unlisted, licensed driver-- but they'll take my money up until that point.

This comes up with teenage drivers. Parents believe the kids shouldn't get their licenses as they "must" report this to the insurance and cause a rate hike. However, by my policy at least, the kids can get their licenses but just not drive ("exist"), and there's no effective punishment the insurance can dish out.

Then later the kid suddenly has 5 years of driving "experience", or at least, licensure, and is cheaper to insure when they finally get wheels.

This should prod parents to push their kids through driver's ed even if they don't have immediate plans to drive, darn millenials.

Deers cause the most deaths of any big game animal in the N american continent.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: 285south
Originally Posted By: rjundi
You veer and brake for moose!!

You are wrong! Absolutely wrong! Prove it and learn why you are absolutely wrong. Car insurance have proof that its better to hit the deer then to "veer" and end up broken or dead.

No. YOU are wrong. He said moose. Not deer. Moose.

Moose weigh over 1,000 lbs, and are tall enough that your hood takes out their legs, leaving a half ton of Moose coming through the windshield with little to stop it.

A very high percentage of Moose collisions are fatal. The Moose crushes the people in the front seat.

I would take my chances with a tree, rather than hit a Moose. At least the tree would crumple up the front of the car, allowing energy to be absorbed and the airbags to deploy.

Very true.

Makes you wonder if those "stupid tall" trucks are not such a bad idea if you live out in moose country. Still would roll onto the hood but perhaps one might get lucky and at least not have it land on the windshield/roof.

Hmmm, I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years; I've encountered numerous deer along highways and always brake, hit the horn, and swerve to miss them. In fact last year in southern Nebraska on a state highway during the summer, there were so many deer on the side of the road, I had to slow down to about 45 mph and was using my horn on constantly to get them off the road. I know my luck will run out.

Last edited:
Swerve/brake/hit it...I don't think there is one right answer as it depends on a lot of factors such as speed, the type of road, surrounding traffic, etc.

Obviously hitting a tree is not the way to go.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Swerve/brake/hit it...I don't think there is one right answer as it depends on a lot of factors such as speed, the type of road, surrounding traffic, etc.

Obviously hitting a tree is not the way to go.

You're entirely correct, but many people need to consider hitting the deer instead of avoiding it at all costs, where all costs includes death, maiming and injury to humans. Too many people assume the best thing to do is try to miss.

I would also add "turn off your headlights." A primary reason deer are hit is they are dazzled by the car headlights.

It's a weird feeling to slide through the dark place that a deer was moments ago, while holding the horn and brake down, but it's the best chance for everyone, including the deer. You can turn the lights on again immediately. Unfortunately most people can't find their headlight switch quickly enough, if they even knew to do it.

Yes OP, it's good to know that the car sacrificed all to save you and your friend from harm. And a
thumbsup2.gif
for choosing not to get behind the wheel yourself and prove that you're a man and can drive while drinking.

Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: asand1
I've been told that swerving to miss a deer and hitting a tree is not covered under collision because you intentionally left the road surface.

Where do these myths about insurance come from? It's no wonder people think insurance companies are an evil giant out to get you.......

I didn't quote the first quote that you say is a myth, because it mostly is. But the one I did quote is not a myth. My friend was out several thousand dollars when he instinctively took the ditch to avoid two deer on a two lane country road. He flipped the car on its roof and it was totaled. The insurance company ruled that he intentionally left the driving surface of his own accord (because he missed the deer) and they didn't have to pay for the damages. If he would have even clipped the arse end of one of the deer and it did any damage, insurance would have paid for everything.

In WI, we call the deer population "speed beef". Problem is they are dumber than cows as most cows are easily persuaded to cross the road. Deer will do exactly the opposite of what you expect, every time.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: IveBeenRued

I've never heard of someone dropping collision/comprehensive coverage on a vehicle after it was paid off. Is this a common practice?

I bought my Accord last year with cash. $14k. I just have liability.

I hope I don't regret it.

hope no one doesn't steal that accord! you would get bumpkus

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar

In WI, we call the deer population "speed beef". Problem is they are dumber than cows as most cows are easily persuaded to cross the road. Deer will do exactly the opposite of what you expect, every time.

My wife STOPPED her saturn for a deer, which then proceeded to ram her rear quarter, by the gas filler. Left fur, so she wasn't imagining it.

The first rule of deer bounding across the road, is look for more deer. They chase each other and your eyes naturally want to follow the first one.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
First rule of driving in deer country-never veer for deer.

+1 hit them since they are much less of a threat than a tree or phone pole.

Originally Posted By: Rand
If for example you didn't list a wife/significant other who lives with you on your policy. And that person drives your car and has an accident they can deny coverage.

Some companies try anything, I had farmers try to give me a hard time. They look over everything when you have a claim even if you aren't at fault. Underwriting is inhumane bean counting at its worst(finest?).

I have State Farm and my car is covered if anyone drives it. Now only my family is covered for medical payments and liability.

Sometimes I have to brake for deer too...more than once on bike-rides I've been close enough to slap one in the face with a left turn hand signal...

15942510132_6ce15b83e7_o.jpg

9674681307_2c49a26f78_o.jpg

Last edited:
The odd thing for me is that in almost 40 years of driving, the only time I hit a deer was right after I installed "deer whistles" on the front of my vehicle.

According to the package, they create a noise that causes the deer to run away. Apparently, the deer I ran into some years back heard the whistles and said, "what in the heck is that irritating noise?" and came out to investigate.

Thankfully, aside from some scratches on the drivers side fender, the only real damage to the truck was one of the deer whistles got knocked off.

Originally Posted By: Rand
If for example you didn't list a wife/significant other who lives with you on your policy. And that person drives your car and has an accident they can deny coverage.

Please show us the policy language that says this.

Unless you signed a driver exclusion on your wife it is complete and utter hogwash. You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. In most states you could not exclude your spouse even if you wanted to.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
First rule of driving in deer country-never veer for deer.

Having seen a deer go thru the windshield and result in a double fatality (closed caskets),that advice borders on the criminal!

I've never heard of someone dropping collision/comprehensive coverage on a vehicle after it was paid off. Is this a common practice?

I drop collision on older vehicles. The insurance costs really add up. In fact, over the last 30 years, the "savings" more than pays for a new car...

Originally Posted By: Cujet

I drop collision on older vehicles. The insurance costs really add up. In fact, over the last 30 years, the "savings" more than pays for a new car...

Once a typical car reaches 10 years of age or more you are spot on.

Although it depends on the insurer most of them require that all drivers be listed on the policy, whether they will drive it once or daily. If a driver that is not listed on the policy causes a
collision coverage will likely be denied, which are standard terms
across the industry. If you don't believe me try and make a claim with an unlisted driver on the policy.
whistle.gif

Deer collisions are covered by inexpensive comprehensive insurance, comprehensive also covers other things like windshield damage or thefts and vandalism..but if you live in deer country it's well worth adding to your policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back