Why does my car insist on pulling to the right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
The Camry in my signature insists on pulling to the right, and the steering wheel is pointed just a little to the left.
Here's what's happened:
My tires wore a little weird on the other edges, and I noticed some play in my inner tie rods. 1 month ago (~700 miles ago) I put new inner and outer tie rods on. I took my car into Fletcher's Tire & Auto for an alignment and all was well. Well I had a [censored] tire with a bubble in it that made my steering wheel vibrate for a few weeks so I didn't notice anything pulling much, maybe just a little even when I bought the car. I got brand new Goodyear Insignia tires for the front, bought from Walmart and had a local shop mount and balance them. They drive very smooth but that's when I noticed it pulls to the right (I can change lanes on the freeway without steering myself) and the steering wheel points to the left a little bit. Well I figured 1 tire might be goofy so I swapped them left to right, and it didn't change at all. I took it in to Fletcher's again because they guarantee the alignment for a year, and they re-did the alignment. After the 2nd alignment it made no difference. It doesn't matter which freeway or road I'm on (I know roads aren't flat for drainage) and even on roads that are flat, it still pulls. All 4 struts and springs were replaced 1 year ago as well.

I'm going to post the "before and after" printout of the alignment. I was out watching when he first got it hooked up on the laser alignment machine. I don't remember the numbers for the toe on the front but they were NOT in the red zone initially when he hooked them up, but his print out shows it was, maybe he changed it to make it look like he did something, I'm not sure. The RR tire did have that slight toe issue but I watched him adjust that one, then went back inside. All tires are at 36 psi as well.

Any ideas as to what can cause this to pull?

I must not be very smart. I just realized for the past almost 9,000 miles I've put on this car it pulls to the right, bin just always associated it with the old tires
crazy.gif
Not sure how I didn't think about that when I posted this

acfzw7.jpg

There are many reasons your car might want to be pulling to the right. Looking at those numbers, though, I want to believe that when you're rotating your tires you aren't crossing them so the car is making cones out of them.

Look at the camber numbers. It's like the whole car is leaning to the right. Is the whole car, by any chance, leaning to the right?

Edit:
Also, considering what the car is: Do you ever get any popping noises when you turn the steering wheel? If you turn the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock, does if feel like there are any "hard spots" where increased effort is required?

Last edited:
Your Caster is biased to the left, Your Camber is biased to the right. Macpherson strut style suspensions seen to react more to Camber than Caster, Try reversing the Camber.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I don't think the car looks like it leans?

How do I adjust the camber?

You usually have to get adjustable strut plates for the strut towers, but once they are installed, you have to move the top of the strut tower towards the side of the car to get rid of negative camber.

Typically front and rear camber is adjusted with an alignment bolt on this model Toyota. You remove one of the regular bolts that hold the strut to the knuckle, tighten the camber bolt as specified in the manual, and the mechanic can rotate that bolt to get the correct camber. Since your car has more positive camber on the right than on the left, it can develop pull.

The cross caster is also not ideal. On FWD cars, you typically want the two to be equal. If they aren't equal, it can suggest that a lower control arm or bushing is out of shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back