My Auto-RX Real World Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
I originally created the thread below to seek opinions on an OCI length for my cousin's 2000 Nissan Pathfinder V6. Shortly afterwards, I discovered that she actually had a sludge problem which was quite evident by looking through the oil fill hole.

The thread can be seen here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1963598

StevieC offered to send me a bottle of Auto-RX if I would follow through with a documented test of the product on my cousin's sludged up Nissan while following the directions on the ARX website to a "T". I agreed and most of the details can be read in the original thread along with the original "before" pictures. A big "Thank you!" to StevieC for sending me the Auto-RX!
cheers3.gif

Here are the pictures, including a new "before" picture taken with my camera instead of my phone:

oilrec.jpg
100_0377.jpg

100_0383.jpg
100_0391.jpg

100_0390.jpg
100_0396.jpg

100_0399.jpg
100_0403.jpg

100_0413.jpg
100_0375.jpg

During the oil change, I also changed the PCV valve to make sure that was in working order. The one that I took off looks like it was probably the original one.

The oil I drained out looked disgusting, like mud. It's pretty obvious in the pictures. That oil *supposedly* only had a little less than 3000 miles on it. But, the junk dealer she bought the SUV from probably did not change the oil after the swapped in the engine. They also told her she should come back there for all of her oil changes, probably so when someone else changed the oil, they wouldn't tell her that she had a big chunk of metal welded on the oil pan patching a hole! (Can be seen in one of the pictures)

Anyway, around 1200-1300 miles I will change the filter and take pictures of it and down the fill hole, as well as the odometer and when I start the rinse phase. Immediately following the end of the rinse phase I will take pictures of the drained oil, down the fill hole, and of the filter (maybe cut open if I can find a way to do it without an actual filter cutter).

Finally, here are the results of the initial compression test on the 3 passenger side cylinders.(The only ones I could actually get to with ease.)These are also posted in the original thread:

Front (Toward Radiator): 150 PSI
Middle: 165 PSI
Rear: 172 PSI

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I tried to document everything as well as possible.

Thanks for following through!

That oil looks gross. And blech, that fill hole looks disgusting. Do you know if that area gets continuous lubrication, or is it splash-lubed?

I'm also looking forward to seeing what happens with those compression numbers!

Exhaust pipe cutters do a great job of cutting oil filters! They looks sort of like pliers with a chain and cutting wheels.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Thanks for following through!

That oil looks gross. And blech, that fill hole looks disgusting. Do you know if that area gets continuous lubrication, or is it splash-lubed?

I'm also looking forward to seeing what happens with those compression numbers!

I'm not completely sure about lubrication in these engines. Maybe someone with a little more mechanical knowledge can chime in.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Exhaust pipe cutters do a great job of cutting oil filters! They looks sort of like pliers with a chain and cutting wheels.

Thanks, hopefully I will find something by the time I need to cut the filter. I do have a right-angle grinder, but that may be a little messy.

Originally Posted By: rcy
StevieC, if you send me a bottle of Patron tequila, I'll test it and let everyone know if it's worth the premium over regular Tequila.
crackmeup2.gif

I will trade you a bottle for a case of Toyota 0w20... How about that?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Thanks buddy for doing this, this should finally put the Auto-RX nonsense to rest on this board!
thumbsup2.gif

No problem! Thanks again for the bottle of ARX!

Originally Posted By: rcy
StevieC, if you send me a bottle of Patron tequila, I'll test it and let everyone know if it's worth the premium over regular Tequila.

That made me LOL and I scared my girlfriend.
grin2.gif

It was one of 2 bottles I had purchased about a year ago. I used the other one for my transmission and I'm seeing great results from that so far so I can't wait to see what it does for your engine!
20.gif

Thanks to both of you for doing this. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the results.

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, have you changed the air filter? It's super easy on that gen Pathfinder.

I believe it is supposed to have a new air filter. It was on the sheet when they printed out what had been done to the vehicle.

I will check it the next time I see her and make sure it is clean.

Originally Posted By: chad8
Couldn't you do the same engine cleaning with a jug of kerosene and a match.

Yeah...Give that a shot and let me know how it turns out...
48.gif
lol.gif

It does look like the oil was never (or hardly ever) changed before you got hold of it, MoparDak05.

I'll be interested to see the results.

This is what a lot of people here have been waiting for-somebody willing to test Auto-RX and show the results. So thanks for doing that MoparDak05.

Those compression #'s aren't terrible, there is only 3 did I miss something? You should be able to get them a little more uniform possibly and get a bit more power from that engine if all goes well.

Odd sense of deja vu looking at those pics. Your through the oil filler hole shot looks eerily similar to what I saw prior to replacing my PCV (which looked kind of like yours, but more gummed up with clumps of deposits on it).

After changing the PCV I'm seeing the varnish underneath for the first time. A little more every time I remove the fill cap. Prior to that it was just a black mess with clumps caked onto it and no visible metal to be seen.

I still have both the original PCV valve in all of its nasty looking glory here, as well as the filter I removed not long before changing the PCV valve. There was only about 2,500 km on that filter, but the oil inside it was black.

-Spyder

My latest test is 30 ozs (2 1/2 bottles) RX in my Pajero (Montero) the highest ratio I've run in 9 yrs RX testing and way outside the manufacturers known testing regime. I'm going to end up with the speediest clean yet or serious problems. I budgeted on a replacement engine when I purchased this a few weeks back so no loss if that happens.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Those compression #'s aren't terrible, there is only 3 did I miss something? You should be able to get them a little more uniform possibly and get a bit more power from that engine if all goes well.

The other cylinders are covered up by the intake and the only way to get to them is with a compression tool extension. I searched recently and the only one I could find was at O'reilly and I would have to order it. It is a different brand as well, so I'm not sure if it would even work on my compression tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back