My 3rd Ever Glock

the black "finish" is NOT Tenifer...Tenifer is clear and absorbed in the metal...the black "finish" everyone likes or doesn't has changed several times over the years and is just that...a finish...on top of the metal treated with Tenifer or whatever GLOCK appears to be using currently...

Bill
Well, the 2 Glocks I owned previously were finished, absorbed, treated with the TENIFER process. The finishes I have seen since the TENIFER "whatever you want to call it" looked like :poop:!

I agree, hardened rather than a liquid absorbed into the metal...then a finish is placed on top of that...my point is just that the color of the slide is not the Tenifer...Tenifer is under the color of the slide (on those pistols made with the Tenifer process of course... ;) ) remove all the color (usually black) and the Tenifer should still remain...

I had one with the shinier "teflon" finish and it looks as good today as it looked 15 or so years ago...whereas a newer G30S which came with the duller gray/black finish has marks on it almost from day one...

Bill

Last edited:
These are pics my son sent of the Gen 4 G22. My cousin in Baton Rouge is an FFL. and my son picked it up from him for me. He's working 6-10's so I won't get it until he comes to visit me Saturday night.
He said it's in pristine condition. The night sights are very bright, he says. It looks like it has the "GOOD" Glock finish on it.
Not bad for $379.99 TOTAL!

Attachments

• G22.jpg
    G22.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 27
  • G221.jpg
    G221.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 27
  • G222.jpg
    G222.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 27
The absolute best finish Glock ever had, or ever will have, was the Austrian applied Tenifer finish. It had a nice sheen and color to it, good natural lubricity, was extremely hard, and it was virtually indestructible. Not to mention, you had to all but try to come up with a way to make a part rust that was treated with it.

Tenifer is somewhat similar to the Melonite process, but requires different chemicals and application procedures and temperatures. While many claim they are the same , they are not. Tenifer is superior in most every way.

The reason Glock changed the finish, was because the EPA has very stringent, costly requirements on the disposal of the chemicals used in Tenifer's application. Which makes it expensive to the point of becoming cost prohibitive to apply it here. It's not "banned" here as some have said. Just made to be very costly, because of government regulations regarding it's chemicals.

And it became cost prohibitive, along with creating logistical issues, for Glock to have the parts treated with Tenifer in Austria, (where the EPA has no authority, and where the process is very common), then shipped here for assembly into finished pistols at their New Smyrna, Georgia facility.

So Glock went to a type of Melonite finish similar to Springfield Armory's Melonite finish that they apply to their XD series of handguns. This is the finish that Glock uses today. It has a different color, (more of an ash grey), and has less sheen to it. While it can be deemed as satisfactory, many, including myself, believe it's not as durable, and more prone to rusting issues.

Simply put, Austrian manufactured, (Gen 1, 2, and 3), Tenifer treated Glocks have what many consider to be the best finish ever applied to a modern service pistol.
Great information. Have a question for you. Both my Gen 2 and Gen 4 Glock 17s say "Made in Austria" on the lower. Are you saying the Gen 4 was not coated in Austria? Or was just the lower made in Austria? Note that finishes look the same on both. Thanks

Last edited:
Great information. Have a question for you. Both my Gen 2 and Gen 4 Glock 17s say "Made in Austria" on the lower. Are you saying the Gen 4 was not coated in Austria? Or was just the lower made in Austria? Note that finishes look the same on both. Thanks
Good question. Glock, which is a totally privately owned company who doesn't answer to anyone, has never been very forthcoming about their manufacturing methods. The Gen 1, 2, and 3 guns were all made, coated, and assembled in Austria.

The Gen 4 Glocks were introduced in 2010. Sometime after is when they began doing work on several models at the New Smyrna, Georgia facility.

Glock began full production operations there in 2013. All pistols manufactured in the United States include "U.S.A." along with a small outline of the state of Georgia stamped on the slide. The Glock 42 is only manufactured in the United States.

If it says "Made In Austria", there is no reason not to believe it was.... Tennifer and all. With that said, I've seen several Gen 4 Glocks that appear exactly as the Gen 3 finished guns do. I've seen others that have the more flat, deep grey ash tone finish. I've never seen a Gen 5 gun that has the same semi gloss, "frying pan" type finish the Gen 1, 2, and 3 guns do.

Every one should own at least 1 Glock. Even my Daughter has a Glock.
Meh... they were something special.. Not so much any any more. Most everyone has a similar style combat oriented pistol that's incredibly reliable. Me? Had a Gen 5 19. Should have had more rental time with it.. Was too blocky to fit my hand properly.

I say everyone who is interested and able, should own a gun. Preferably more than one. One that fit's their need(s) and budget. If that happens to be a Glock, then so be it.

BTW ... Tenfier is a metal treatment, it's not a finish. You can not see the effect of the Tenfier process because there is a final finish put on top of the metal after the Tenifier treatment - "Tenifier" is a case hardening process. So when someone says their Glock "has the Tenifier finish", they really don't know because they can not see the metal just after the Tenifier process was done - unless you were at the factory and saw the metal before the final finish that is visible was applied.

BTW ... Tenfier is a metal treatment, it's not a finish. You can not see the effect of the Tenfier process because there is a final finish put on top of the metal after the Tenifier treatment - "Tenifier" is a case hardening process. So when someone says their Glock "has the Tenifier finish", they really don't know because they can not see the metal just after the Tenifier process was done - unless you were at the factory and saw the metal before the final finish that is visible was applied.
I called Glock earlier this week about my G22 manufacture date (6/28/2010). I asked the Glock tech. if I wanted my slide refinished can they apply the Gen 5 finish. NO, THEY CAN'T! He told me it would be the later Gen 3 & 4 finish Glock started in late 2011, early 2012. The Tenifer, then Parkerize afterwards finish was stopped in late 2011, early 2012. The chalky finish preceded after the Tenifer, then Parkerize finish. Even if your Gen 5 needed to be refinished it can ONLY be done in the later Gen 3 & 4 finish (chalky)! He said the new Gen 5 finish (nDLC) can ONLY be done to the Gen 5 upon initial manufacture time. It's a special process that CAN'T be repeated!
If you want to verify this call GLOCK USA @ (770)-432-1202 and ask if your Glock slide can be refinished with the Gen 5 finish.

Last edited:
My son liked my G22.4 so much that he bought one too. His is on the left.
Just in case someone is interested in buying one. This company only sells the BEST LE Trade In guns.
They are sold out of the G22.4 but do have the G23.3 in stock.

SAME.jpg

Last edited:
May be a personal thing, but I prefer the G4 pistols over any of the others. The finish on the G4 is durable enough for me and even after holstering and unholstering my G19 no less than 300 times it has held up well.

I had a G30s G3 and sold it, hated the grip and missed the beaver tail on the G4. With all of that said, the S&W M&P 1.0/2.0 pistols are starting to edge out the Glocks when I reach for an EDC.

May be a personal thing, but I prefer the G4 pistols over any of the others. The finish on the G4 is durable enough for me and even after holstering and unholstering my G19 no less than 300 times it has held up well.

I had a G30s G3 and sold it, hated the grip and missed the beaver tail on the G4. With all of that said, the S&W M&P 1.0/2.0 pistols are starting to edge out the Glocks when I reach for an EDC.
I would rather own a G22.5. I can get one through the Blue Label program for $398.20.
For now, I like my G22.4 as well.

I would rather own a G22.5. I can get one through the Blue Label program for $398.20.
For now, I like my G22.4 as well.
For me, my Glocks consist of:

G4 - G17/19/26
G4 - G31/32/33

They both use the same bullets to reload which saves time and money. The only .400 bullet that I load for is 10MM. I dumped my .40S&W pistols a long time ago in favor of 9MM and .357 SIG.

For me, my Glocks consist of:

G4 - G17/19/26
G4 - G31/32/33

They both use the same bullets to reload which saves time and money. The only .400 bullet that I load for is 10MM. I dumped my .40S&W pistols a long time ago in favor of 9MM and .357 SIG.
Do you load the .357 SIG bullets with the same bullet you load your 9mm with?

I went to my back yard range at my dad's house earlier today to shoot my G22.4. Man, this thing is a real tack driver! I am (ALMOST) liking this gun over my whole collection. I never would have thought I would EVER say anything like that about a Glock firearm.
Now, if only Glock would come out with a Gen5 .40 caliber version of the G45X.

I went to my back yard range at my dad's house earlier today to shoot my G22.4. Man, this thing is a real tack driver! I am (ALMOST) liking this gun over my whole collection. I never would have thought I would EVER say anything like that about a Glock firearm.
Now, if only Glock would come out with a Gen5 .40 caliber version of the G45X.
Just recently I installed a Glock "." DOT connector and a 6lb. trigger spring. WOW! What a great trigger it is now. It's "ALMOST" as good as my 2.0 M&P Compact .40's trigger.

Back