Musk Says Tesla ‘Dug Our Own Grave’ With The Cybertruck

As of today I've seen about two Rivians. TSLA cars are around. I haven't seen a Lightening yet. I can honestly say I don't have one friend or family member who would even consider buying one. I guess birds of a feather flock together. ;) We all think the Cyber Truck is an ugly overpriced joke. But hey people are free to spend their money as they see fit, I do.
Lightning are around likely more then you think as they look close to a F150 anyway.

The F-150 Lightning will have no tail pipes and a little lightning bolt badge in the right corner. Otherwise it can be difficult to tell.
1704120131830.png

Rivian around the medical center - None at Bass Pro 😷
Lightning - only in Canada 🍁
I see Lightning's quite often. The Federal Government has been buying them in apparently large quantities. The Lightening is easy to spot when compared to a late model ICE F150.

I see Lightning's quite often. The Federal Government has been buying them in apparently large quantities. The Lightening is easy to spot when compared to a late model ICE F150.
If I spent more time in Houston - I’d see more - but I get out ASAP

Reactions: GON
The F-150 Lightning will have no tail pipes and a little lightning bolt badge in the right corner. Otherwise it can be difficult to tell.
View attachment 195900
They're not that hard to tell apart. There aren't many around here, granted I'm not devoting much time looking for them. I do know the Ford dealer near me has none on the lot. I pass there often and there is a traffic light on the corner of their lot. Most people know they aren't very good and that could be a reason there aren't many around here.

View attachment 195900
I do think I’d like to try one of those or the Chevy version out. Not that I need a vehicle.

I like the color of that f150. Unfortunately the price points and options are so stupid, I have no interest in buying.

I will also watch the used Tesla market, buying a used one may be an interesting gambit if their values drop enough, tax credit or not..

I'm not so sure that the Cybertruck buyers will be mostly previous Tesla owners. It will be interesting to see once 20 or 30 thousand of them are on the road if Tesla (or some survey company) releases data regarding who the owners are and why they chose a Cybertruck. Maybe they will mostly be loyal Tesla customers.

I see Rivians fairly regularly. Along with Lucids. I'm probably seeing a lot more EV's that aren't instantly recognizable. I think I've only seen a couple of the Mustang Mach E's. Hybrids seem to be getting more popular around here, especially Toyotas. They are almost instantly recognizable by their very weird and annoying high pitched whine that they make backing out of parking spaces.

91 Octane gas in my mountain town had dropped to close to $6.00 a gallon recently but has now spiked back up to $6.80 at the local Shell station. When I go "down the hill" I top off my tank for typically $0.50 to as much as $0.90 per gallon less. You can see why besides being the most populous state California is also the biggest market for EV's. If Tesla introduces a new model that is similar in size to my beloved Mazda CX 5 and priced under $50k in the next couple of years I may seriously consider buying one.

I can't miss the light bars on the Lightning. They really stand out on the road. There's a certain smoothness to the body with the simulated grille that I instantly recognize.

I drove about 200 miles yesterday, powered by the sun. I probably pay less than $20 per month for electricity. My panels generate more than I use, but there are other charges. I hate PG&E, but you already knew that.

That $20 per month runs the house and the Tesla. Sometimes I stop for a quick top off, 5 to 10 minutes depending on Supercharger... Usually $4.
what was your install cost for the panels?

Kinda forget, that was nearly 6 years ago. $17K ? Plus I had a new roof installed; $12K. Say close to $30K all in. I got 30% off the project cost as a tax credit. So $21K all in. 30 year roof and 25 guarantee on the solar.
I am probably at break even, or past. Kinda nice; energy costs are pretty high in CA. PG&E is raising rates AGAIN! The car helps maximize the value of the asset, as we say in finance.

Pretty sweet deal, huh?

Kinda forget, that was nearly 6 years ago. $17K ? Plus I had a new roof installed; $12K. Say close to $30K all in. I got 30% off the project cost as a tax credit. So $21K all in. 30 year roof and 25 guarantee on the solar.
I am probably at break even, or past. Kinda nice; energy costs are pretty high in CA. PG&E is raising rates AGAIN! The car helps maximize the value of the asset, as we say in finance.

Pretty sweet deal, huh?
In a sunny climate, that sounds ideal.
Excessive snow we get here would be an issue though.

In a sunny climate, that sounds ideal.
Excessive snow we get here would be an issue though.
Keep in mind that Jeff is also on a very generous NEM2 plan where he gets close to $0.40/kWh for the power he generates. The new NEM3 plan pays more in-line with the market value of the electricity generated, which is $0.04/kWh now. Payback on NEM3 is obviously a very different conversation.

The local Sunbelt Rentals has one they are supposed to be renting out. But they don't like it so they don't rent it out. It's been sitting in the same spot for over a year now

Out of Spec just did a 70-MPH range test in the AWD version and A/T tires (presumably, since it’s a Foundation series). 100%-0% in near perfect conditions. 254 miles. 2.05 miles/kWh - effectively no better efficiency than a Rivian or Lightning.

The CyberBeast is rated for less, so that’ll be lucky to hit 240 miles.

Last edited:
Back