Music and Emotion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Many moons ago when I was at UNB, I was studying for a joint CS/Arts degree and so instead of just maths and sciences, I took courses like Ancient Greek Mythology, Sociology, Psych....etc. I also took Anthropology, which is a topic I grew up around, since my father teaches it.

Now, I went into these courses having sat in on many a University course growing up. The topic of music was often present, because it serves as a key part of a group's identity and sociological structure.

So it was of course of no surprise that in the first few weeks of anthro, that we discussed the role of music in tribes and its purpose.

This of course carries forth into modern day society, as music is just as much, if not more a part of modern society as it had historically been for the native groups it came from. And perhaps unique to this piece of history is the fact that it is still current. That is, we can observe where it came from and various parts of its evolution by observing the activities of various native bands that are still present in North America. I live rather close to an Ojibwe reserve for example, and they still actively perform their historic smudge ceremonies and dances.

Now a good friend of my father specializes in Australian Aborigines. I'm sure many of you are familiar with the didgeridoo. We (myself and my sisters) were all trained on this instrument as we were explained its significance in their culture.

Now, as society has evolved, so has music. And we often identify a specific genre of music with a culture. Classical music for example, is very European. Country is very American, and so are things like Rap, R&B...etc. Jazz is an interesting one because it is a blend of American and European roots with a strong Afro-American origin.

Now of course, we also have various sub-cultures that specific styles are associated with. Rap, while American, has a "ghetto" sub-culture associated with it. And while like Jazz, its history is primarily Afro-American, that is about where the similarities end.

Because music, historically has an emotional purpose. Every song ever written is intended to get the listener to FEEL something. It has a message, and what that message is, affects us.

A war dance for example was meant to get the the blood up in the warriors and prepare them for battle. It has a basic beat that often increased in tempo near the end to send them off on a crescendo.

Taking a look at the evolution of classical music in Europe it is quite obviously that complex symphonic pieces are designed to tell a musical tale, and not just bring forth one or two emotions, but take you on what is essentially an emotional journey.

The same characteristic applies to Italian Opera.

Rock music and Country play on our heart-strings as well, but on a more basic and relative level. Certain songs will make us happy, others make us sad. Often with Country it is the latter. But we can oft relate to the lyrics in some personal way, and this is part of why these types of music are popular.

And then there is "rage" music. Music made to incite anger and potentially hatred. This comes in a variety of forms I believe the most common form currently is Rap, though metal, industrial and other genres have been used to convey this ideal as well.

I'm guilty of enjoying "angry" music. Five Finger Death Punch, Rammstein, Metallica. I like the lyrics and the thought put into them, particularly with old Metallica pieces like Sanitarium.

I am not a fan of "basic" music however. Anything with lyrics like "oooh baby baby" (Justin Beiber), or music that speaks of objectification; music that is wholly materialistic speaking of cars and money or that which glorifies the killing of others and generally is uncivilized. And while this is often the theme to Rap music, that is not always the case. This type of music (basic) works to play on our very primitive emotions, not making our brains work on anything profound in the lyrics, simply executing a message to a bass-heavy beat that moves us and is the modern equivalent of a tribal war dance in many respects.

And there are always twists! There is a song that comes to recent memory that while having a typical "pop" beat has lyrics that are simply horrifying! The song "pumped up kicks" by "Foster the People" is deeply disturbing as it puts a rather upbeat rhythm to a song about what essentially amounts to a Columbine situation!
crazy2.gif

Quote:
All the other kids with the pumped up kicks
You'd better run, better run, outrun my gun
All the other kids with the pumped up kicks
You'd better run, better run, faster than my bullet

The tone and tempo of the song are up-beat and happy, whilst the lyrics are deeply sinister
shocked.gif

So, my fellow BITOG'ers, what music "moves you" and why? Is it a moody symphonic piece like something by Beethoven, taking you on an emotional ride? Or is it something a little more down-to-earth like a Country piece by Garth Brooks? I'm interested. I like Jazz, Blues, metal, (new) Country, Rock, Classical...etc. It depends on what I'm feeling or wanting to feel that determines what I put on.

Tower of power is about my favorite. It's the horns that do it for me, great quality.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Thanks alot for this thread. Neat ideas on a motor oil website, who would think??.

Figured it works in "General and Off Topic"
smile.gif

I listen to Sting a lot, the lyrics are meaningful and you can relate to in life as he tells a story. Sting said that he comes up with the music first , then writes the lyrics for the song. Chris Botti is the guy can really make a trumpet speak to you , without saying a word. Botti is one person I have seen that I can honestly say always sounds better live as the music recorded on a cd does not seem to capture the true essence of his playing or do him justice. to see his live performance is a true musician with soul. his duet I saw live with Lucia Micarelli was out of this world. Botti is my fav and every time I see him live I just leave with a sense of marvel. I do like all kinds of music and used to be mr grundge music ( still enjoy it for working out )

Last edited:
Bach..Vivladi..lots of great classics out there...I love pretty much all classics in Baroque style too.

To make sure that I am well rounded I enjoy selections in Country, Rock and Roll classics and some of the new wave music of the 80's...

Its funny, I have phoned in to a couple of local radio stations who were playing Foster the People Pumped Up Kicks...I told them to research for themselves the lyrics...they seriously had no idea... they promptly pulled them from the playlist permanently that day.

Music is in DNA. Play a melancholy tune such as Barber's Adagio for Strings to a Aboriginal or Japanese person and the response is the same. How do they know how to evoke the same emotion, when the source material is from a culture they do not know.

You know I was thinking of this thread. I volunteer in a childrens hospital I play music: started with Wheels On The Bus but over the 7 years I discovered that Cupid Shuffle does much better changing the mood. In fact any dance music, Cha Cha Slide does great too. It seems that Electric Slide makes everyone in the room in a better mood. So with music yes it really controls emotion sometimes for the best!! Thanks again for bringing this up.I say it is like a prescription all you have to do is turn it on and alas, without the side affects.

The song that moves me most, is still "comfortably numb" by Pink Floyd. Not just lyrics...but the amazing guitar solos that would have conveyed the message just by themselves (esp. when you listen to the live version from "Delicate Sound of Thunder" live album - find the UNCUT FULL length version of it on YouTube - just amazing).

speaking of sinister lyrics with 'happy' melodies: "true faith" and "regret" by New Order...I think they pretty much did that with all of their songs.

Porcupine Tree's album 'Deadwing' is a very dark, emotional concept album as a whole, I like it a lot...only few 'modern' bands out there that has THAT kind of depth...

"misplaced Childhood" is also a good emotional concept album, mostly...by Marillion.

'kind of blue' - Miles Davis - i can get lost in it, in the right time of the day

I am not very educated in classical music: but "Gymnopedics #1" from Erik Satie makes me emotional - on rainy/drizzly days
smile.gif

Last edited:
I am really into metal, the newer stuff, mostly in the "metalcore" genre. Bands like All That Remains, Unearth, Darkest Hour, August Burns Red, Between the Buried and Me, Chimaira, 36 Crazyfists, etc. I also like some metal more in the death metal genre, like Opeth and Suicide Silence. I also really like hardcore, like Comeback Kid, Hatebreed, and With Honor. I don't really consider it to be "rage" music however. It gets me excited, heart pumping and energetic, etc, but not mad or violent. It just makes me feel good, happy and energetic.

Also the musicianship of metal, particularly progressive metal like Opeth and Between the Buried and Me, is outstanding and makes me appreciate and respect the genre that much more.

To the OP...great post. You really understand a lot about music and I enjoy your insight and knowledge.
For me? Although, in general, I see far too much focus on music in this country....I do have favorites of my own that I find myself becoming rather wrapped up in. It can be anywhere from classical and opera, to old country tunes, big band, 80's pop, folk, and just about anything else you could name. Certain songs or groups that consistently catch my ear (and emotions) would be The Doors (kinda dark and strange), Sinatra (he speaks to me when he sings about women/love etc.), Luciano Pavarotti (incredible voice that exudes extreme passion), Buck Owens (can't explain it but his voice just epitomizes country to me), and Mariachi music (played live, it makes me smile and feel rather happy).
I don't have any single song or type of music that stands out above all others. It depends on my mood.

Yes, music has many interesting effects on people. Personally, I use it to keep going through mundane tasks, to keep my energy "up".

Since you started this thread, I'll share. I had gotten bored with the music of my time (mostly '70s stuff). I tried listening to the current music, and it didn't interest me. Long story short, I got interested in Russian pop. It became a hobby. There's a lot of good stuff there, interesting (at least to me), different.

I became tired of my old music because I'd hear the first line or two, and the entire song would "unfold" in my mind. The interesting thing about a song in a language you don't understand is that this does not occur. The Russian pop music (or music in any other language) seems to remain fresh, it doesn't seem to "burn" itself in my memory.

As a hobby, I've accumulated over 300 songs I like, mostly female vocalists. It's like a whole 'nuther world, different artists, different styles, interesting to explore. I've even translated the lyrics to about 80 songs using Google Translate and the help of a friend at work who speaks Russian. I post the translation videos on YouTube, got about 73K views so far. Learned a little Russian along the way (tho I'll never speak the language). It keeps me out of trouble.
smile.gif

"Amused to Death" by Roger Waters. I love the whole album concept. Taken out of context, individual songs may not be all that special, but the album as a whole is well thought out, I think, albeit a bit depressing. It's one of those albums that requires a good sound system, a comfortable chair, 70 minutes of uninterrupted silence, and your eyes closed.

The BBC documentary that inspired Waters to make this album is interesting to watch, too. It features interviews with the survivors of the Battle of the Somme during WWI. Waters incorporated snippets from this documentary in his album.

Quote:

Give any one species too much rope and they'll f*** it up.

^^^ I own 'amused to death'. true: a great album, with Jeff Beck on guitar.
I also like 'The Final Cut' which almost like a solo album by Waters, although it's a PF album. (themes of Falkland war in that one)

I also forgot to mention my love for music by Tool and A Perfect Circle...APC's '13th step' is a great album, and the song 'gravity' is a prime example of brilliant, almost poetic song writing and some amazing singing by MJK.

Last edited:
I listen to a wide variety of music genres, including rap, country, all varieties of rock, blues, bluegrass, etc.

All genres have good and bad examples. Rap is frequently critisized, but if you look beyond mainstream rap you can find some really creative work. Personally, I think the crowning achievement of rap is UGK, a rap duo out of Port Arthur, TX that was most active during the 1990s and early 2000s. While many of their lyrics are obscene, offensive to some, and deal with drugs, prostitution, and violence, they could tell a [censored] of a story and really painted a picture of what it was like to be hustling in Port Arthur in the early 90s. Their lyrics also frequently reference cars, but not in the way that's typical of rap music. They introduced the world TX's unique Cadillac car culture with songs like Wood Wheel. It's not for everyone and not everyone can relate to it, but it's absolutely relevant even if you won't hear it on the radio or see it on TV. Lil Wayne's incoherent ramblings can't hold a candle to this stuff.

I think the key to finding good music in any genre is to look beyond the mainstream. A lot of what's popular isn't really the best of what the genre has to offer. In fact, it's usually the opposite.

There's more in it than lyrics...In my teens and 20s, whitesnake's "still of the night" intro, suspenseful, then moving into the crashing guitar crescendo, if I was sitting there quietly, would give me a massive endorphine rush, unlike almost anything.

Driving alone across outback NSW, passing paddocks of patterson's curse, canola, and burned off wheat stubble, with Icehouse' "Great Southern Land" on the stereo was another experience that I'll never ever forget the feelings and images.

Bruce Dickinson is one artist that the songs really get to me on a deep level, and Iron Maiden are staples to scream along to when I'm in a great mood.

That being said, cruising to work last summer with Neil Diamond's Hot August Night...last week I've been pretty angry, and end up with Ozzy playing most frequently.

The aboriginal stuff is very trance like. When I was in Primary School, they used to get the elders in to sing some of their history to us, absolutely mesmerising.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
There's more in it than lyrics...In my teens and 20s, whitesnake's "still of the night" intro, suspenseful, then moving into the crashing guitar crescendo, if I was sitting there quietly, would give me a massive endorphine rush, unlike almost anything.

Driving alone across outback NSW, passing paddocks of patterson's curse, canola, and burned off wheat stubble, with Icehouse' "Great Southern Land" on the stereo was another experience that I'll never ever forget the feelings and images.

Bruce Dickinson is one artist that the songs really get to me on a deep level, and Iron Maiden are staples to scream along to when I'm in a great mood.

That being said, cruising to work last summer with Neil Diamond's Hot August Night...last week I've been pretty angry, and end up with Ozzy playing most frequently.

The aboriginal stuff is very trance like. When I was in Primary School, they used to get the elders in to sing some of their history to us, absolutely mesmerising.

I agree completely. One of my favorite metal songs is Metallica's "Orion". It has no lyrics. But the transition from the slow section back to the main theme sends a shiver up my neck.

If I'm angry, I'll often listen to FFDP simply because I can relate to the lyrics and the speed/aggressiveness of the music itself fits how I feel.

Amy Lee's haunting voice, especially her solo work gives me shivers. She has an incredible gift.

Maiden, Metallica, FFDP, Rammstein (in particular) make great driving music. They keep the blood pumping and the trip goes by quickly. I'll often have them on if I'm carving country roads in the M. It suites the mood. On the other hand, if I'm going on a long trip, sitting back to something like Webber, Mozart or Beethoven is where it's at.

It is very give and take, this. We (figuratively) pour our hearts out into song, which in turn, incites similar emotions from the listener. So do we play the music or does it play us?
confused.gif

meme theory has an interesting take on ideas and concepts, and dare I say, music...survival of the fittest idea.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
meme theory has an interesting take on ideas and concepts, and dare I say, music...survival of the fittest idea.

Are you speaking specifically to Steven Jan's The Memetics of Music or simply in general regarding memes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back