Floor Jansen

Wacken 2013, Ghost Love Song.

I love how she looks and sounds when she holds this note. Amazing.

Scott

Floor.jpeg

I'm listening to Nightwish right now! If you guys like Nightwish you'll also like Epica, Beyond The Black and Battle Beast.

I really love this genre of metal a lot, I've been getting into a lot more symphonic metal and progressive metal in the last few years. I still love old school thrash (Metallica, Slayer, Testament, Megadeth, Anthrax) however I'm blown away by the sheer talent that a lot of the newer metal bands have, especially when they incorporate more instruments than just your typical guitar, bass and drums, and when the singing is way more melodic (I'm not a big fan of metal bands with "Cookie Monster" lead singers!).

Speaking of progressive metal, the last couple of years I've really gotten into the German band Vanden Plas. I actually like them a lot more than Dream Theater (who I've seen in concert 4 times now) As a side note, the lead singer of Vanden Plas (Andy Kuntz) added me as a Facebook friend last year after I commented on their page so much (that was a total geek moment for me!) He's a car guy too, he's got a McLaren 765LT (which just so happens to be my favorite car!)

this is my kind of thread, I have been a Nightwish listener for awhile now, and it really got me into symphonic metal as I have branched out and listened to so many other similiar artists

If you ever listen to Epica, Simone Simons has that opera voice with a helluva range.

I also listen to Delain which has a different lead singer now, but they did a lot of songs with Marko Hietala, who was a part of nightwish for a long time but has recently stepped back to take a break etc

Big time fan of Amaranthe with Elize Ryd who actually auditioned for Nightwish years ago

this is my kind of thread, I have been a Nightwish listener for awhile now, and it really got me into symphonic metal as I have branched out and listened to so many other similiar artists

If you ever listen to Epica, Simone Simons has that opera voice with a helluva range.

I also listen to Delain which has a different lead singer now, but they did a lot of songs with Marko Hietala, who was a part of nightwish for a long time but has recently stepped back to take a break etc

Big time fan of Amaranthe with Elize Ryd who actually auditioned for Nightwish years ago
Delain and Within Temptation are the two closest to NW that I’ve found. Epica isn’t bad but idk something about them just doesn’t mesh as well as these 3.

Not my kind of music, (really at all) but. More power to y'all.
Pretty much this. The band wasn't bad the bit I listened to but I have a hard time listening to female vocals for very long. Not a fan of live music(prefer studio recordings) or metal(most anyways) either so I'll leave it at that.

Variety is what keeps things interesting though.

I was lucky enough to catch Epica playing a show local to me a number of years back. I think at that time they were touring for their Quantum Enigma album. Simone and the rest did not disappoint. So much so that I bought a T-Shirt (something I rarely do) and wear it often.

Beste Zangers 2019 - Floor Jansen Episode 4 - its like an hour long where the other singers pick a song as a tribute that they feel.

Watching Floor start to cry when Emma Heesters discusses and then sings "Strong" is quite touching. It's at about 20 minutes if you don't want to watch all of it.

Floor started as a backup singer also which they cover. I had to pause the video to read the subtitles a couple times.

Beste Zangers 2019 - Floor Jansen Episode 4 - its like an hour long where the other singers pick a song as a tribute that they feel.

Watching Floor start to cry when Emma Heesters discusses and then sings "Strong" is quite touching. It's at about 20 minutes if you don't want to watch all of it.

Floor started as a backup singer also which they cover. I had to pause the video to read the subtitles a couple times.
Yep, I watched the whole 2019 season due to Floor being on the show, lol.

I love how this thread keeps getting attention, it's been going since December, 2022 now!

I'm listening to Nightwish right now! If you guys like Nightwish you'll also like Epica, Beyond The Black and Battle Beast.

I really love this genre of metal a lot, I've been getting into a lot more symphonic metal and progressive metal in the last few years. I still love old school thrash (Metallica, Slayer, Testament, Megadeth, Anthrax) however I'm blown away by the sheer talent that a lot of the newer metal bands have, especially when they incorporate more instruments than just your typical guitar, bass and drums, and when the singing is way more melodic (I'm not a big fan of metal bands with "Cookie Monster" lead singers!).

Speaking of progressive metal, the last couple of years I've really gotten into the German band Vanden Plas. I actually like them a lot more than Dream Theater (who I've seen in concert 4 times now) As a side note, the lead singer of Vanden Plas (Andy Kuntz) added me as a Facebook friend last year after I commented on their page so much (that was a total geek moment for me!) He's a car guy too, he's got a McLaren 765LT (which just so happens to be my favorite car!)

ever listen to Power Wolf?

Last edited:
Nightwish is not really my thing but I ran across this on Blabbermouth, thought I would pass it along here. The band is working on a new album, due out some time in 2024. This article says there will not be a supporting tour, but a new album is in the works, part of it recorded at Abbey Road.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/nightwish-completes-recording-orchestral-parts-for-tenth-studio-album
Yup, saw Tuomas posing at Abbey Road with the production folks. Big symphony energy on this one. I don't think Floor has done the vocals yet, she's just launched her child I believe, so I'm sure she's busy doing mothering things right now. That's likely also why there won't be a tour.

Back