Music and Emotion

Status
Not open for further replies.
memes in general, but the science of music is fascinating, I did a semester of it in Uni.

(A little while ago, I built from first engineering principals a pentatonic wind chime, that is very very restful)

Originally Posted By: Shannow
memes in general, but the science of music is fascinating, I did a semester of it in Uni.

(A little while ago, I built from first engineering principals a pentatonic wind chime, that is very very restful)

I took a summer course in it at Uni as well, LOL! We had a rather memorable section on Gregorian Chants
smile.gif

Would you mind capturing the chime and putting it on youtube? I'd be interested in seeing and hearing it.

Just as a note...Bagpipes were outlawed as a weapon of war by the English.I'm not Scottish but pipes are very good at evoking emotional responses.

That said I am a guy that loves good lyrics,good lyrics can evoke as wide of an response as instrumentals.

Yeah, the bagpipes and drums coming out of the mist would certainly give the brits something to think about.

The pipe band is a big part of where I live, My MIL was piped out of the church at her funeral by a single piper to "Amazing Grace"

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
One of my favorite metal songs is Metallica's "Orion". It has no lyrics. But the transition from the slow section back to the main theme sends a shiver up my neck.

You beat me to it. A song with no words that drives a physical, emotional reaction is real genius. I think "Suicide and Redemption" off Death Magnetic has a similar quality.

Shannow covered Iron Maiden, and I know we've talked about "Hallowed be thy Name" on this board before. Going to see them in June, pumped.

I always like people's reaction when I talk about Maiden or going to metal concerts. So many misconceptions about it. I'm grooming my 2.5 year old daughter to listen to it (avoid songs with swearing of course), she knows in my car we listen to "daddy music" and specifically requests "Fear of the Dark", her current favorite for some reason
grin2.gif

jeff

Your fellow Canuck said it best: "We don't want to just play music, we want to get off on it". -- Geddy Lee

This is why Rush has such a following, they don't sing Oooh-oooh baby yeah. They're into it. As are their fans, including myself.

"Afterimage" is such a solemn song about the death of a friend, so moving, powerful. Their very latest song "Headlong Flight" contains guitars and a solo section that is addictive and easily has the "get off" on it feel. No, not in some sexual way, in an emotionally directed way where men/males can dive deep into something positive. Explains why there are very few women at their shows.
lol.gif

Progressive Rock is much like Classical music in this regard.

Yeah, the bagpipes and drums coming out of the mist would certainly give the brits something to think about.

The pipe band is a big part of where I live, My MIL was piped out of the church at her funeral by a single piper to "Amazing Grace"

We had bagpipes at my Grandmother's funeral as well. Scottish tradition of course. An incredibly emotional instrument when played correctly.

I love music. It's in my blood, I play several instruments. I am guilty of "pounding" some rap music. Although I'm generally not a fan. I don't like it's message and I firmly believe it's the major part of the dumbification of America. I primarily listen to county, rock and metal. I love good old music like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Benny Goodman, Count Basie, ect. I like to listen to the message of he music. Believe it or not Marilyn Manson is a very passionate person. His music is so deep and has a message. He sings about talks about the downfall of society and how we treat others like garbage, drug use, substance abuse, physical abuse, how judgmental religion can be ect. Most people have a hard time getting is over the top stage performances and the make up. He is a very down to earth and humble person.

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
I love music. It's in my blood, I play several instruments. I am guilty of "pounding" some rap music. Although I'm generally not a fan. I don't like it's message and I firmly believe it's the major part of the dumbification of America. I primarily listen to county, rock and metal. I love good old music like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Benny Goodman, Count Basie, ect. I like to listen to the message of he music. Believe it or not Marilyn Manson is a very passionate person. His music is so deep and has a message. He sings about talks about the downfall of society and how we treat others like garbage, drug use, substance abuse, physical abuse, how judgmental religion can be ect. Most people have a hard time getting is over the top stage performances and the make up. He is a very down to earth and humble person.

Yes, I've heard quite a bit about how intelligent (and perhaps insightful.....) Manson's lyrics are. I cannot however, get into his "style" of music. Though I do respect a lot of his message.

k0rn in much the same way, has some really "personal" lyrics, such as the song "thoughtless" of which Evanescence does a cover. Did I mention I have a thing for Amy Lee? LOL! Voice of an angel that one.....

The video for reference
smile.gif

And the lyrics:

Quote:
Thumbing through the pages of my fantasies
Pushing all my mercy down, down, down
I want to see you try to take a swing at me, come on
Gonna put you on the ground, ground, ground

Why are you trying to make fun of me?
You think it's funny
What the #### you think it's doing to me?
You take your turn lashing out at me
I want you crying when you're dirty in the front of me

All, all my hate cannot be bound
(Hate cannot be bound)
I will not be drowned
(I will not be drowned)
By your thoughtless scheming
So you can try to tear me down?
(Try to tear me down)
Beat me to the ground
(Beat me to the ground)
I will see you screaming

Obviously a story about being bullied. One I'm sure many of the kids listening to their music could directly relate to.

Amy Lee is a doll. KoRn is another influential band of my youth. So many songs fill with good messages. Follow the Leader was an AWESOME album. Oh I miss the good old days. I have a thing for Lzzy Hale of Halestorm.

What music moves me?
Rap and hip hop move me.

They are irritating and insulting - the lowest common denominator of sounds that can be called music.
Much of rock music causes plant to grow slower, cows to give less milk, etc.
Classical music does the opposite.

My personal favorites are not genre specific. A good melody is what gets me. Lyrics are often extra weight.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
What music moves me?
Rap and hip hop move me.

**IMO** They are irritating and insulting - the lowest common denominator of sounds that can be called music.

Fixed that for ya.

Did I mention I have a thing for Amy Lee? LOL! Voice of an angel that one.....

It's easy to have a thing for Amy Lee...those eyes aren't human I'm sure.

Did I mention I have a thing for Amy Lee? LOL! Voice of an angel that one.....

It's easy to have a thing for Amy Lee...those eyes aren't human I'm sure.

And neither is that voice
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen

Its funny, I have phoned in to a couple of local radio stations who were playing Foster the People Pumped Up Kicks...I told them to research for themselves the lyrics...they seriously had no idea... they promptly pulled them from the playlist permanently that day.

The band has admitted that the song is about student killings but they say they wanted to bring it to light so people could talk about it. They want the opposite of mental breakdown violence. The lead singer said he was a victim of bullying and had family at Columbine that fateful day. The shoes reference who is cool and who is not, and it also references not having a good family lifestyle. They want people to talk about it and try to stop it in it's tracks before people go nuts. Those attitudes that turn into mad actions, they usually start slowly and if it can be discerned early it may be able to be overcome. Some parents don't know how bad their kids feel at school and how it can break them down mentally.

I'm glad that bullying is being dealt with at schools now.

Music can be a powerful motivator for good or bad. Lyrics and meaning should be reviewed to see if they follow along with your personal beliefs.

Last edited:

So, my fellow BITOG'ers, what music "moves you" and why?

I enjoy much variety: a dash of classical, punk, hip-hop, jazz (Dave Bruebeck, Ella F, John Coltraine, Miles Davis) - and a HEAP of 70's music plus a HEAP of heavier music: Metallica, Maiden, Judas Priest, Opeth (minor), Slayer, Pantera's Walk and Deliverance.

I like the energy of the heavier music - and it moves me because it was an emotional association with the internal turbulence of frustration and anger. I saw "was" because there's not much opportunity to play it with the company I keep.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: NJC

So, my fellow BITOG'ers, what music "moves you" and why?

I enjoy much variety: a dash of classical, punk, hip-hop, jazz (Dave Bruebeck, Ella F, John Coltraine, Miles Davis) - and a HEAP of 70's music plus a HEAP of heavier music: Metallica, Maiden, Judas Priest, Opeth (minor), Slayer, Pantera's Walk and Deliverance.

I like the energy of the heavier music - and it moves me because it was an emotional association with the internal turbulence of frustration and anger. I saw "was" because there's not much opportunity to play it with the company I keep.
grin2.gif

What does this "company" listen to that is so vastly different from what you enjoy that it prevents you from being able to enjoy it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back