rap and music in general

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i did listen to rap. Never drank, did drugs, carried a gun to go kill someone and never committed felony. I didnt have block parties with weed and hoes eveither. Though interestingly enough the kids I knew who listened to Metallica and the likes did drugs, drank, banged any girl they could get ahold of and at
times commited petty crimes. They were also against the "man" and for the most part always [censored] off.

Btw.... I do listen to Metallica and like a lot of their songs.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

And of course what is also funny here is that white people seem to be the only ones performing this PC "self censorship".

Collectively known as "white guilt".

Quote:
We created almost overnight this "culture of tolerance" to end an intolerance "problem" that I think perhaps, at that stage of the game, we were the only ones who thought we had one.

Its okay for anyone else to be as "intolerant"/racist/etc as they want so long as they're not white.

Quote:
And we became so intolerant of this perceived intolerance that now we can't even tolerate ourselves discussing anything that might be misconstrued as intolerant! This is truly an extremely twisted self-fulfilling prophecy.

It went beyond that even. Tolerance implies, "I don't like it but to each his own." What we have is 'forced acceptance' as in... you won't just tolerate X you WILL embrace it with a smile on your face and sign its praises.

Originally Posted By: surfstar

There's a reason I called out what someone else posted. I do believe there is no 'merit' in that statement of their dislike of a certain type of music.

Nope. You played the race card period. If you had a legitimate critique of their position you would have made it rather than immediately connecting their position to the implication they are racist.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
For those who are so heavily opposed to rap, have you actually spent enough time listening to it to make an argument?

This good enough for you? 99% of that was from my younger and dumber days.

34ywryp.png

Originally Posted By: PZR2874
This thread is getting out of hand "knuckle draggers"?

C'mon. People are stereotyping, and we all know how that works.

Yeah, I think we do... in that stereotypes aren't created whole cloth and that behind every stereotype is a great deal of truth.

This is true in a way. But not as an end all arguement.

Only reason I say all this is because times AND music changes. I listen to everything from Country to Rap.... If someone doesn't want to listen to it, change the station/channel.

Music evolved from basic tribal beats and grunts to the works of Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms.....etc. Rap, hip-hop, "R&B"....etc, these are all steps back toward where music came from. And seemingly in-step with society's own deconstruction

You realize this same argument was made of Bach in his day. Fugue in B Minor was so subversive in couldn't even be printed in Bach's lifetime...

Spoken in rhyme to a basic beat to bring the blood of the audience up and get them ready for the hunt/war/attack.

That's certainly one element, but it's hardly 1)confined to just hip hop or 2)the only elements of emotion meant to be stirred. As far as "a step back", I just don't see it that way. ALL music, at least good music, is meant in part to stir emotion. I certainly don't view punk and hip hop as "a step back" just because it's short on technique. I think musicians understand this quite well, which is why you have someone like Pat Metheny talking about how he loves the Sex Pistols.

I'm with Duke Ellington, most music can be put into one of two categories: good and bad. Hip hop is no different. I'll take Public Enemy or the Blue Scholars over Justin Beiber or Kenny G any day...

Originally Posted By: buickman50401

Originally Posted By: surfstar

There's a reason I called out what someone else posted. I do believe there is no 'merit' in that statement of their dislike of a certain type of music.

Nope. You played the race card period. If you had a legitimate critique of their position you would have made it rather than immediately connecting their position to the implication they are racist.

I called someone out for using "knuckle-draggers" and thugs, while neither of us specified any race. Yet I'm the one who pulled the race card?

My critique of their position was based on their inherent bias, easily demonstrated by the prejudicial sterotypical words they used to describe a group of people associated with rap music. They may as well have said "those people".

Its pretty easy to read between the lines on this thread. There are some who are prejudiced in their 'dislike' of rap and some who legitimately do not care for the music.

Originally Posted By: buickman50401

Collectively known as "white guilt".

This would make an interesting topic by itself, but probably a discussion we won't get to have here. I actually agree with you that white guilt is a bad thing.

Quote:

34ywryp.png

LOL @ Paris being on that list.

Headlines like this don't help any stereo type...regardless of ethnicity..

Rapper G. Dep gets 15 years to life in 1993 NYC shooting...

(snip)When rapper G. Dep turned himself in for a nearly 2-decade-old shooting, he told police he wanted to clear his conscience.
He found out Tuesday what the consequences would be: 15 years to life in prison, the minimum term for his murder conviction. A judge, prosecutors and even the jury foreman said he deserved credit for coming forward when he'd never been suspected in the long-cold case....source: Yahoo news...(snip)

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

I have (more than I care to), and I just don't find it to be particularly good, but I've never liked any Toby Keith song. I can appreciate the occasional vigilante justice song, but this is like a vigilante justice drinking song. That's pop country for you though.

No, it's not! Watch the video...the song is about a COP (Toby Keith) calling his father, a retired COP (Willie Nelson) for help catching a serial killer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back